Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blackshift (a fiendish puzzle game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gruntin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon Blackshift (+3)  
First I played Blackshift, then I belonged to it for a while, then I remembered I played the DROD demo a while ago, then I bought DROD, and now, at last, I am here to reccommend Blackshift to you fine people.

http://www.foon.co.uk/blackshift/

It's a nice free puzzle game with fiendish logic and timing puzzles.
01-06-2006 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Blackshift (0)  
Cool, it has a Mac version! Even if it is an old one and calls Mac "strange".

01-06-2006 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Blackshift (+1)  
Seems pretty much like a remake of an old dos game "S.C.OUT" (HOTU link), that I used to play some years ago. This game doesn't have as cool graphics. Is there anything else that makes it worth trying?

[Last edited by Doom at 01-06-2006 06:19 AM]
01-06-2006 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

I played this game last year and I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I got bored of it at last and never beated it.

I didn't know S.C.OUT, so I can't tell you if it's worth a try...
01-07-2006 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well... I just finished it in one session, and played SCOUT a while back. To be fair, Blackshift is a better game, though not as difficult perhaps. A great game in fact!

Cheers for the link... :)

[EDIT]

Grammar

[Last edited by Syntax at 01-12-2006 10:38 PM]
01-12-2006 at 10:37 PM
Doom
So, at least Syntax seems to have completed the game.

I could use a hint for level 100. My problem is that I can't possibly see any way to get the blue switch open after the beginning. Am I missing some unobvious game mechanics thing, or is it just some clever trick?
04-26-2006 at 08:00 AM
Syntax
Just looking where I put the game... if I've still got it.

Do you mean the level with the blue buttons up the left, and rockets up top and right?
04-28-2006 at 02:07 AM
Doom
It's the last level. Should be easy to recognise, because it uses different colors from the regular ones.

The blue sphere, which I should break somehow has a pick-up reflector next to it, which is also unreachable...

Edit:

Thanks to Tim, I've gotten past the trouble-spot. However, I didn't complete the game, because I didn't like how the very last level keeps introducing more and more new elements without telling anything about what they do.

This results in repeating large parts of the level only because you stepped on a strange red tile, only to discover that it was lethal. And after making good amount of progress, not being able to save mid-level draws the remaining interest from coming back after quiting that session. (The last one is pretty long, after all...)

[Last edited by Doom at 07-08-2006 03:09 PM]
04-28-2006 at 04:23 AM
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
Does anyone here know french? We have a lot to tell this guy.

[Last edited by Tombot at 12-18-2006 09:21 PM]
12-18-2006 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Let me translate;

Hello I am new, DROD is awesome, I beat it in several hours. I also got an A+ on my math test.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it means.:P

:hi to the fourms, Zari!
12-18-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
He means: I have an account: "wrc1973" on Blackshift. And you need to tell him when you have an acount there too. Yay!

12-18-2006 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Jason wrote:
He means: I have an account: "wrc1973" on Blackshift. And you need to tell him when you have an acount there too. Yay!
Uh... that's what I meant... :rolleyes
12-18-2006 at 09:58 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
(Merged with the other topic on this game, in case anyone was wondering.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-19-2006 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Zari wrote:
Salut, je voudrais de l'aide pour le niveau 49 de Blackshift (level 49, help please) :blush :crazy :wave:
Which part of that level do you have a problem?

Or you can look in Google. http://www.google.com/search?q=blackshift+%22niveau+49%22&hl=en&lr=lang_fr&as_qdr=all&filter=0
12-20-2006 at 10:40 PM
Syntax
Je regarderai ce soir. J'ai fini le jeu meme si ca fait un bout de temps donc je devrai savoir :p

Au fait, tu sais que tu est sur les forums pour un jeu qui s'appelle DROD? Je recommende d'essayer au moins la demo (gratuite) que tu peux trouver ici. C'est pas aussi speed que Blackshift, mais si t'aimes les jeux de puzzle... essaye :)

En tout cas, j'essaierai de trouver la solution pour toi dans qques heures apres le boulot.
12-21-2006 at 04:25 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Zari wrote:
Pour le niveau 49 je n'arrive pas à détruire la tache verte qui bloque le chemin pour aller dans le transporteur vert. Le missile ne passe pas dans le transporteur gris.
Comment faire ? Merci pour ton aide. :)
Not sure if this is what you asked, but have you ever used the <ENTER> button?
12-21-2006 at 08:17 PM
haktodefakto
Rank Points: 10
I finally finished level 100. It's not prepared for human beings. Since noone in the universe helped me through this level, I'm willing to help you guys out. I will only answer to the questions regarding to level 100.
And I'm not going to tell you what happens when you finish it :)
03-27-2009 at 10:03 PM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
Okay... I've beaten everything else. I can get a certain distance into level 100, but not much further...

for instance. I've worked out how to pass the blue gates. And the giant area full of grills. I've got as far as the white teleporter pads but have no clue what to do next, and there doesn't appear to be a convenient save point...

if you want to send me hints, and don't want to post them as spoilers in public, post them to jle30303@gmail.com

cheers :-)
04-19-2009 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
lzmm3c
Hey,,, About blackshift level 100,,,, I know the last comments were some time ago, but I just started playing with this one and I got addicted,, he he,, and all your comments were great, and helped me finish all the levels including the 100 level,,, Just want to share some info related to that one,,

The secret in level 100 is that you can change your ship from blue (the normal color we had used all the 99 levels) to red,, so when you have a reflector red you have to be in blue color to bounce the bullet, ,and when you have a reflector color blue then you have to change to red color....

Someone wrote,,, time ago,,,

round swrling spot - seems to be line the green spots with the + in earlier levels but haven't wasted a bullet on it to see what happens,,, Well I didn't need any of this to finish the level,, but I used trying to find out their use and basically this will change the color of the bullet / missile,,, so you have to shut throuh this one to change the color, so you can try in a blue reflector been blue in color with this one,

blue reflectors - don't reflect bullets, Yes Blue reflector don't reflect bullets when you are in blue color,,, so you need to change to red color or get the round swirling spot.

Can't set off the red button because the reflector didn't work. Yeap,, you need to change into red color to do that,,, for that you need to pass that section destroy yellow botton, go over the red cross and use the with secctions to teletransport back and destroy the red one,,

red crosses - kill Kill only when you are in blue color but you can pass trough when you are in red color,,,,

blue crosses - ? kill the same as the red ones but in the other color,,,

To change color just go over the red or blue crosses,,, it wont harm you,,

e= mc2 seems to be just like the random bot. I hate this ones,,,

Will I will add this ones,,

The box with the number 4 is the faces you need to blow out,, yeap there are 5 in total,,,,

We normally use the green bombs to explote the faces,, there is another one same shape but diferent color,, you will have access to this one once you kill the four faces when you pick it the red crosses turn blue and the blue ones red,,,

there are two stones blocking access to the last bomb,, again one red and one blue,, so you have to change color to destroy them...

don't spend any bullets trying to kill anything,,, you will need them all,, I mean,, ALLLLLLL for the last face you will need the green bomb, the blue bomb (to change color) and one bullet,,,,

You have to destroy first the yellow botton and then the red one to have access to the bombs,,,

try to don't use the with marks to save the level,, of course at the beggining you will have to but I did reach the four one without failing once,,,

yeap,, these level is insaneeeee,,, but is gooodd,,, :thumbsup
08-07-2009 at 01:52 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Imagen if someone built an blackshift kind of game on DROD acterly thats a good idea i mite make my own kind of blackshift games :thumbsup

i well make a pirivet bored

[Last edited by minimike98 at 08-14-2009 09:39 AM]
08-14-2009 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
Hm, thanks. I need a bit more help than that. Of the more literally step-by-step variety.

Like:

(1) Get past the four ghosts at the start to get the two missiles. Shoot out the first barrier (heading upwards) and the second one (to open the way to three reflectors and a third bullet).

(2) Use the reflectors, the single missile and the inaccessible yellow shooter to destroy the blue button and open the blue door. HINT - the circular reflectors collapse if there are too many bullets on-screen... you need to make use of the portable one to cause the collapse of the inaccessible one.

(3) ...And then what? Do I need to take one of the reflectors (diagonal or circular) through the next barrier (which is a one-way arrow so there is no returning)? Or do I need to take the missile that can be got from the area below, with the explosive floor? Or do I have to actually leave everything of that, exactly where I found it? Or does it not matter?

(4) It looks like the next challenge gives you a choice of either navigating a long line of bouncing ghosts to get to a save-point, or just taking the quick track above them without being able to use the savepoint (let's call this Optional Savepoint 1). There's no point to taking the harder route other than to get to the savepoint.

(5) And after that... set off the blue gun, which sets off an offscreen bouncing bullet that turns the grills on and off every few seconds. Navigate first to the white key, then to the lock, then to the exit in the top left corner. Shouldn't be difficult to do, but of course remember if Savepoint 1 isn't tagged, you'r right back to the start if you get it wrong.

(6) Dodge a pair of bouncing ghosts and another optional savepoint beckons. Using it will close the white gate again (thus preventing you from accessing savepoint 3 later on.)

(7) Use the red missiles to corral and destroy the eyeball, saving the downward-pointing one to open the way to the "E=mc2". Dodge it, get past the next pair of vehicles (you will not be able to carry any missiles or reflectors further, as there is a door which closes if you are carrying them), and reach Optional Savepoint 3 (if you didn't use Optional Savepoint 2 previously).

(8) Use the reflectors, the 4-way splitters and the single missile to destroy the 3 sets of blocks below... get past the wall-hugging obstacles, outrun the exploding corridor, get past them *again*, head south, pick up the red missile pointing to the right, get past them a third time, fire it to remove the block, get the other red missile out from between the four vehicles, get to the white transporters...

...And then what?

I've got this far, and I don't think it's possible to have brought any *more* resources from "earlier". But I need a bit of a step-by-step guide for the next phase...
10-29-2009 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
lzmm3c
ok,, I will try to do it step by step,,

Step (1) is good to go...
Step (2),, Good to go too... I did use one of the missile to deviate the path of the walking bomb and that one will destroy the blocking stone and have acces to the blue botton

Step (3) I don't think you have time to take any of the ittems above,, maybe just one missile from the explosive floor,, but still you can do it without it..

Point (4) Yeap ,, you are right,, but is not that hard to pass the challenge and get the save-point,,,

Point (5),, that's correct,, but,, try to exit that area when the grills are off,, then you will save a missile,,,

Point (6) that's correct,, in fact that prevents to access all the next saving point,, I used save point one,, and then was able to survive until save point 4,,, maybe at the beginning you can use savepoint 2 and 3 to practice,, but later one you will have to go directly from save point 1 to 4.

Point (7) you are the man,,, but still you can leave the missil there,, just in fron the blocking door, you can use it to destroy one block below,,, how,, just pass the other side,, locate some of the other items,, return and shoot,,,

Hey,, hey,, what happenned with the step by step,, come on,, he he,, just kidding,,

Step (8),, right,,

(9) You need to use the transporter a lot from now one,, first,, you need to get one missile to shoot to the left by jumping with the transporter,, then keep jumping until so find the blue botton,,, you have to be abble to pass the vehicle that is turning ..

(10) Move to the left and cross the one way barrier,, you don't really need anything else from there,

(11) you will see four marks below,, the ones you can pass over only once,, so you can get in and out twice,, if you have any missile leave it here,, before entering this area,, of course you can not continue to the left because there is a bomb on the corner,,,

(12) Enter in the area and destroy the bomb that is not allowing you to move forward,, the one in the left corner,, before leaving go down and get the missile facing left,, (you will use this one to destroy yellow botton),,, for this you will have to move the block with the walking bomb to the left so the walking bomb will destroy the small bomb in the way,, and you will use the same block to destroy the one below,, so don't push it all the way to the right,,,

then go up and exit the area ,(so this is the first one you enter and leave) go to the left and use the save point.. and shoot the yellow butoon, (that should be the save point number 4... if you used the save point 3,, then will be blocked,, still yu can go all the way down,, get the key,, move all the way up to the right and use the key to have access to the save point 4...)

(13) From now one,, is really crazy,,, because you have to change your vehicles's color (to red)to destroy the red button (the red button is in the same are you got the left missile),, to do that above the "four save point" there are to marks on the floor,, one like deactiveted,, and the other one red,, when you pass over the red one it will change you color to red and will activate the blue one,, to change back to blue,,,

(14) So,, by now you have destroy the yellow button, bow you have to change color to red and move to the transporter,, you need to go at the same spot described on point 9,, (where you destroy the blue button)cross over the one way barrier and skip the moving vehicle,,,

(15) Go down to the left - you have to be red color to do this- (this will be the second time you enter to these area) and destroy the red button.. now that you are red the bullet will baunce on the reflector,, go out that area with a missile,,,

Then,, get all the bombs and missiles and start killing all the faces,,, at the top right, ,there is a place with two blocks together,, one red an one blue,, so you have to shoot them with the appropiated color to destroy them,, passing that you will find like a bomb but with diferent color,, that will helo you to change from blue to red,, you need to take it to destroy the final face,,

[Last edited by lzmm3c at 11-09-2009 03:06 PM]
11-06-2009 at 06:06 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blackshift (a fiendish puzzle game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com