Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Worst "Song" Ever. (I think last night I heard the very worst.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Worst "Song" Ever. (0)  
It was R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. I watched chapters 1 through 8 (or was it 9). There are 12 parts total, with each one maybe 3 minutes long or so. It is the same song all the way through. So maybe the whole thing is something like a half hour of the same droning melody. Even within one single chapter there is very little variety--not even a chorus to break up verses. Just R. Kelly singing the same stupid way like he is making up the lyrics as they come to him. The music has this epic sound to it like he's laying down some cosmic truth on you, but what does he sing about? It's a big long story about what happened to this guy called "Sylvester". It is sung 1st person from Sylvester's point of view, i.e. "7 o'clock in the morning and the rays from the sun wake me. I'm stretching and yawning in a bed that don’t belong to me" At the end of each chapter, Sylvester/Kelly hits us with a cliffhanger, which is usually that someone has been "creeping on" somebody else. Yeah, actually there are... let's count... 4 incidents of people cheating on their partners in the chapters that I watched. There were only 2 characters of the 9 I saw that weren't (as far as I know) cheating. The lyrics are horrible--just really bad. There is one part where R. Kelly sings as a trailer trash woman with a ridiculous hick twang. And Sylvester is always getting seriously freaked out about everything. He pulls his gun out at the slightest provocation. Somebody knocks on the door, and out comes the gun when he goes to answer it.

The best part is that this isn't meant to be comedic. It's a masterpiece of unintentional badness. R. Kelly was trying to make this really powerful drama and went to a lot of trouble, but he just isn't a very deep or intelligent guy. I was laughing through the whole thing. Oh, it was so funny.

But try to get that stupid song out of your head after listening to all the chapters in a row...

-Erik

11-18-2005 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Worst "Song" Ever. (+1)  
Well, Erik, you'd probably get a kick out of these articles on Something Awful about that CD: Part 1 and Part 2. I didn't really read them because I had never even heard of the CD before, but I remembered that they existed enough for me to link them to you.

Note: SA is mostly not safe for work or children.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-18-2005 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yeah, that looks to be a very accurate account of the song. They didn't need to add jokes to it, because it's already so inane. I'm glad to catch the last 3 chapters in synopsis form so I don't have to buy R. Kelly's DVD. Ah, a midget lover--brilliant!

-Erik

11-18-2005 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
I'd never heard of the song before now, but just checked it out.. I managed about 60 seconds before having to delete it.

Yuck! Those aren't lyrics! It's just someone reading a silly story over some background music.

11-19-2005 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
jamie wrote:
I'd never heard of the song before now, but just checked it out.. I managed about 60 seconds before having to delete it.
Yeah, it's bad, but for the full effect, you have to watch it with the video. And all 12 chapters in succession.

-Erik

11-19-2005 at 07:31 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Just curious. Why did you watch it in first place ?
Ok, admit it ! You actually enjoyed it! Why would you watch whole 8 chapters otherwise ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-19-2005 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Worst "Song" Ever. (0)  
It's so bad, it's funny. That's why I watched it. It's hilarious!

-Erik

11-19-2005 at 10:21 PM
jamie
Yeah, it's bad, but for the full effect, you have to watch it with the video. And all 12 chapters in succession.

-Erik

Ok, I'll do it!

You really hate me, don't you ??? :lol

By the way, each time I here "R Kelly" I am reminded about a stereotypical (English) Northerner talking about their daughter, and can't help but 'read' it in a Northern accent (the stereotype is along the lines of "eeeh, our kelly, a fine lass she be")

[Last edited by jamie at 11-20-2005 01:39 AM : I am the original author of this file]
11-20-2005 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I saw the first chapter. I thought it really funny and pointless.

11-21-2005 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
Following hot on its heels are the new Black-Eyed Peas, Girls Aloud single and Sugababes singles.

The BEP song gets my vote for worst song ever.

11-23-2005 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Personally, I'm going to strangle whoever sung that 'Mickey' song. Can you hear it in your head now? Oh Mickey, what a pity you don't understand?

Now you know how I feel. And hence why she has to die.

(You can use the Chrono Trigger theme to get it out.)

11-23-2005 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
Jacob wrote:

The BEP song gets my vote for worst song ever.

Is that the song that goes something like "My hump, my hump, my hump! My lovely lady lumps!?" And there was also something about milky-milky choco-puffs in there, too. O_o

Because that 'song' just makes me laugh. Hard. Thank you, MTV, for ruining music.

And thank you, Matt, for getting that song stuck in my head. That was just not fair.
11-23-2005 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Was it you that posted that Subliminal link? I'm not sure, so this might count as payback.

Let that possibly be a lesson to you.

11-24-2005 at 01:02 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: The Worst "Song" Ever. (+2)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Personally, I'm going to strangle whoever sung that 'Mickey' song.

Whenever presented with an opportunity to do so, I like to tell people that Toni Basil is one of the greatest influences in my life.

11-24-2005 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HowS
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
How about

the song that never ends, coz it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it for ever just because it is the song that never...ARRGGGGHHH!

You see what I mean? Ja?
11-25-2005 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Mattcrampy wrote:
Was it you that posted that Subliminal link? I'm not sure, so this might count as payback.

Let that possibly be a lesson to you.

Yes. That was me. I probably deserved that. :D
11-25-2005 at 08:54 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
"A Pizza Hut, A Pizza Hut, Kuntucky Fried Chicken, and A Pizza Hut.
McDonald's, McDonald's, Kuntucky Fried Chicken, and A Pizza Hut."

The horror has been realised. I've just been rewoken to a nightmare.

The Fast Food Song faded away like a dream but for some reason when I was looking at this thread and cheese_obsessive's avatar, it clawed right back like some devouring unsatiable beast from the underworld.

I can't believe I googled and found this - http://www.fastfoodrockers.co.uk

I hope I'm not understating how much I hate this song.

Click here to view the secret text

11-26-2005 at 01:29 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
My vote for the most annoying song goes to that stupid "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" rap-thinger. That, or the Crazy Frog's song. Man, that thing still gives me nightmares.

11-26-2005 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Gah, the crazy frog! That thing is horrible!

- Gerry
11-26-2005 at 04:56 PM
cheese obsessive
trick wrote:
Gah, the crazy frog! That thing is horrible!

- Gerry

A-ring-dingdingding ba-da-bum-boooooooohhhh.... O_o
11-26-2005 at 06:26 PM
jamie

THE CRAZY FROG ROCKS !!! DING-DING !

11-27-2005 at 01:18 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ahahah, they actually censored him! :lol

- Gerry
11-27-2005 at 01:56 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
trick wrote:
Ahahah, they actually censored him! :lol

- Gerry
That's quite funny, but it's probably artistic licence. I don't think that sort of thing would apply to a (real) frog's anatomy.

11-27-2005 at 03:16 PM
jamie
No, he's right!

Apparently there was a sudden fuss, because on the advert, you could see his 'thing' and so after that, all the adverts and the video had to be censored like that.

How madly over-the-top "politically correct" is that ?!

There is another picture, based on this whole story, titled "what's the big deal?", but I won't inline it.. click at your own risk etc. http://www.jamiejones.com/misc/crazy_frog_big_deal.jpg

More info on the "The annoying thing" website.. This thing was originally created as 'the annoying thing' long before jamster etc. took it over.. It was never designed as a frog, it's really a 'thing'

http://www.turboforce3d.com/annoying/

And now I'll shut-up, because I sound like an "annoying thing" / "crazy-frog" fanboy :-O

DING DING!

Oh, and you must listen to this in it's entirety!

It's actually a 'tribute' to the computer sourced music from the days of the 8 bit computer.
http://www.bodenstandig.de/2000/data/deutsch/audio/in_rock_8bit.mp3 (even though in places it's badly distorted, and sounds like it was recorded over a bad phoneline :( )

11-27-2005 at 05:33 PM
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
You haven't heard 'worst song ever' until you've seen the poop that people do for DDR simfile competitions.

I have the 'honor' (by fiat of having done it six times over the past four years) of being the Head Judge for Bemanistyle's DDR OSC 4...

In just one division, a bit over one eighth of the contest, 12 entries, I have found:

* Bleeding Mascara, which is another fine example of Heavy Metal Screaming, with shitty guitar and bass thrown in just so it can claim to be music. Maybe.
* A song called, I am not kidding, "F*** THIS S***", which, were it not for copyright rules, I'd post here just so you could hear it and appreciate just how terrible it is. (If you REALLY want to hear, register at http://www.bemanistyle.com/ and check out the DDR OSC forum - it's part of the Keyboard pack, though, so don't expect to pass it).
* Short Circuit - since when were MIDIs considered the best songs by techno artists like Daft Punk?
* A song from the game DJMAX. If you've ever played Beatmania, Beatmania IIDX, O2Jam (going free in a few days!), DJMax, or other 'keysound' based music games, and compare the 'true' version (the version on one of the game's OSTs) to the in-game version, you recognize just how much worse the in-game version sounds outside of the context of playing the game. So, of course, this person sends in the in-game version.
* They Don't Know. Rap should NOT be performed by white male southerners, this is proof. I can't compare it to R Kelly's masterpiece, but this is really, really bad.

And this isn't even counting the stuff that was disqualified...

70 more things like this to go, too. Sad. :(

[Last edited by Schik at 11-28-2005 09:24 PM : watch the language please]
11-28-2005 at 09:22 PM
Unkillable Cat
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
When I listen to what is today considered "pop music", I can feel my brain beginning to melt, most of it is so bad.

However, I have had the misfortune of listening to two songs that rank very highly on the "worst songs of all time" list.

The first one is "Diary Of An Unborn Child" by someone calling himself Lil' Markie. It's an old song that's proclaiming that abortions are murder. However, that message gets a little lost due to the horrible singing done in the song. This song will haunt you for quite a while.

The second one is called "Teddy Bear" by some calling himself Red Sovine. It's a simple little country song, but listen to the lyrics and tell me just how wrong it is.

Due to humanitarian reasons (and plain lazyness on my behalf) there are no links to go with those two songs. Count your blessings.
12-04-2005 at 10:05 AM
Mattcrampy
I find arguments on both sides of the abortion debate quite compelling, but I also find that giving these arguments to the other side results in nothing but trouble. It's this sort of behaviour that drives me to ridicule both sides by referring to them as anti-choice and anti-life, respectively.

Oh wait, we were talking about bad songs. Nevermind.

12-04-2005 at 12:28 PM
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
Well, we've had songs that are either poorly sung or with horrible tunes. That's not good enough.

We must have songs that are activly anti-music:

http://www.blodsrit.se/blodsrit-ridding.mp3

Isn't black metal great?
12-04-2005 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Unkillable Cat wrote:
The second one is called "Teddy Bear" by some calling himself Red Sovine. It's a simple little country song, but listen to the lyrics and tell me just how wrong it is.

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/red-sovine-teddy-bear-lyrics.html

:w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t

You have a strong contender there!

12-05-2005 at 12:15 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
jamie wrote:
Unkillable Cat wrote:

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/red-sovine-teddy-bear-lyrics.html

:w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t

You have a strong contender there!

Oh my.

12-05-2005 at 04:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Worst "Song" Ever. (I think last night I heard the very worst.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com