Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Puzzle Boat
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Puzzle Boat (0)  
How surprising, it was solved pretty quickly. The answer should've been hidden in the last room of Bavato's Dungeon or something.

Would've given the other teams something to think about. ;)
10-21-2005 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
For those wondering, a linebreak on the notes board is achieved by writing:
<br>
This is equivalent to one return space.

10-21-2005 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It's easy enough for us, we're DROD pros. I actually solved it before the puzzle opened up. The other teams may have more difficulty.

10-22-2005 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Mattcrampy wrote:
It's easy enough for us, we're DROD pros. I actually solved it before the puzzle opened up. The other teams may have more difficulty.
Yes, I know that :devil
10-22-2005 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Well, I looked at it... was there some pattern to the orbs that allowed for an easy solution? Otherwise, I worry that non-DRODers may see it as a fairly tedious trial and error puzzle (which is how I saw it - sorry gbrume - but I was probably looking for a nice manipulation puzzle which would be inappropriate as well). Which would be a shame, considering how much publicity this could generate for DROD if the other teams didn't see only this aspect of the DROD. Of course, hiding the clue in the basement of Bavato's wouldn't be any better - most newbies would get stuck on level 1. Part of the charm of DROD is that you have to give it some time to work your way up to the interesting puzzles (ie play KDD or JtRH as a tutorial). Which of course people playing puzzle boat probably wouldn't be willing to invest for just one clue.

[Last edited by stigant at 10-22-2005 03:35 PM]
10-22-2005 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Oh man. It seems that I gave the impression of being serious...

If you ask me, it might've been good idea to let some experienced architect design a quite simple puzzle (not just orb banging) possibly of around KDD:L3'ish difficulty. That shouldn't be too tedious to get into solving, but would still require basic understanding of a few objects.
10-22-2005 at 03:55 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Not at all... I meant (and I was just using your example) that making a room challenging enough for the average DROD-forumite (to say nothing of the high-level DROD-forumite) would likely have been far and away too difficult for just about everybody else playing Puzzle Boat. I agree that a level 3ish room would have been the best compromise. Perhaps something that made you fight all the basic monsters (no brains) individually - say 10 roaches, and a roach queen, a couple of wraitwings, a goblin or two in an open space, a snake or two etc - and maybe experience a few other elements like trap doors and arrows would have been a better introduction. Something puzzlers could play around with and get a general feel for the game, but wouldn't feel like they were just doing trial and error.

10-22-2005 at 05:20 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I tried the room out last night, and there's a definite advantage to playing the room in 2.0 instead of AE, since you can click on orbs to see what they do, and use the Undo key to take back an accidental hit. It seems like the puzzle page should recommend using 2.0 over AE.

In my opinion, the other puzzles I saw were hard and time-consuming enough that this one is probably appropriate. And perhaps there are other puzzle game squares on that board, that we aren't familiar with.

I agree that it's not the best representation of DROD, but anyone who downloads either version would be able to see what it is like
for themselves.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-22-2005 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
icon Re: The Puzzle Boat (+2)  
I have made major progress with the diner meta puzzle, it looks as if it will be easy to solve all the puzzles in the 3rd ring from this one puzzle.

10-22-2005 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The Puzzle Boat (+1)  
Hey, I'm rooting for you guys. DROD people are all-fracking smart and constitute a superior class that will one day rule the world. Go Smitemasters!

-Erik

10-23-2005 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Boy, we all sure burned out on this fast. Once I saw that that other team had already won, I felt sapped too. In any case, we should still strive to complete this. I just finished Grover Stand, so there's one fresh puzzle for you guys to munch on.

I'm making the password public again because the competition's over. It's simply DROD (in caps).

I know, bad password.

10-28-2005 at 03:06 AM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: The Puzzle Boat (+4)  
Further news: I just completed the puzzle I just unlocked, opening the meta-puzzle for the fourth ring. If that doesn't entice you, I don't know what will.

10-28-2005 at 03:24 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I feel less guilty on crapping out on you guys because I couldn't solve a single puzzle :(
10-28-2005 at 03:38 AM
Enigmatologist
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
I hate to bump an old-ish thread, and I hate for my first post to be promoting something, but...

Foggy Brume, the creator of The Puzzle Boat, has just launched P&A Magazine (link). Essentially, every two months, he's going to be releasing a new .pdf set of connected puzzles, roughly the size of a Puzzle Boat ring. Each set's $4.95.

Having just finished solving the premiere issue, I recommend it highly to folks who enjoyed the Puzzle Boat. Those of you who didn't enjoy the Puzzle Boat... well, there's still DROD. :D

-Enigmatologist (aka CV, that guy on the top of the leaderboard. So if any of you are still plugging away at PB and need any hints... :) )

01-07-2006 at 04:37 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'll help. Hopefully the fact that I've gotten to level 74 of Notpron means I've got some skill, but honestly, these puzzles are hard! I'll see if I can solve one of the less brain-wracking ones.

01-11-2006 at 11:28 AM
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
I came back to this a few days ago and finished the fifth and sixth ring. Of course, at the moment I'm too lazy to do the elephantine acrostic blocking my path. Still, I'll probably keep working on this until it's done, so if anyone wants to get back into it, now might be a good time.
01-21-2006 at 03:13 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yay, bibelots back :D

I've posted all the answers I can get at the site, if theres any of the others you can fill in, that'll help. Especially the big ones. Theres also a few mistakes in what I have, I think.
01-22-2006 at 10:35 PM
RoboBob3000
I got your back.

I'm excited about returning to this game!

01-23-2006 at 06:34 AM
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
Congratulations to whoever solved that last metapuzzle :thumbsup

Just the final, seemingly clueless puzzle left...

01-27-2006 at 05:52 PM
RoboBob3000
Wow. Those sure came together fast. One puzzle left.

01-27-2006 at 06:33 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
And that's it, it looks like. Puzzle solved!

01-27-2006 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Puzzle Boat
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com