Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The War of the Dungeons (July's Patriotic Contest)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The War of the Dungeons (+4)  
The tradition of a Canadian running the July contest continues. And, since Canadians are peaceful diplomatic people, I'm announcing the contest at a time when other countries besides ourselves can read it first (Unless you're like me and restless at 11:00). And to celebrate in good ol' nation pride, we going to do something that almost every country has in its history.

We're going to have a war...

The Dungeon Architect's Association had commenced. Their leader had just started the meeting, and was in a happy state of ecstasy.

"My fellow architects! Today a new era will begin in the sacred art of architecting!"

The members looked around the room, dazed, and a bit confused.

"With the recent addition of three brand-new dungeon styles, our work is going to be cut in half. From now on, we can recycle old rooms that we have previously used and remodel them to look brand new!"

The architects went into an uproar. This means that they would be able to make more greckles with a lesser amount of creativity required.

"First, we must put this plan into action to see if we can pull it off. With that, I challenge every architect to find a job and put this plan into action. We need to make sure it can work before we go flat-out on it.

"With this new strategy, we'll be making holds faster than those grungy dungers can clean them out, giving us the upper hand!"

That last line motivated them even more. They left the building shouting cheers of architect supremecy in the streets. Clearly, this was going to turn into a battle of wits between the two groups, and right now the architects had the advantage.

Yuppers, I'm back again, and I am attempting what will become the most complex, secret, and exciting contest to date. The goal for architects is to remodel the room so that it looks nothing like the original AE room. Since this is going to be a bit complicated, I'm going to present the contest with a step-by-step procedure:

1) Heads to the Holds page and find any room in a hold made in DROD:AE (1.6). I advise you to look for a room that is fairly open and has a lot of space to work with, as that may help you. The room must have a puzzle in it. King Dugan's Dungeon and any holds made in JtRH will not be accepted. On that note, any AE holds converted to JtRH versions (Tscott's H I J K and Stuwy's Tar Caves come to mind) also will not be allowed. Compilations will be allowed, but you have to contact the entry authour, not the compilation authour.

2) Contact the authour of the hold for permission to "remodel" a room in that hold, but please don't tell him/her what room. Ask the authour if he has any room he would prefer not for you to replicate and work from there. Remember that you are taking a premade item and using it for yourself, so do not badger the authour to give you permission. Ask once, and if they don't accept, move on.

3) Have the hold authour send me either a PM or an email telling me that they have given you full permission to use that room. If you submit an entry but I have received no confirmation that you have permission to alter that room, the entry will be disqualified. Simple as that. You have to remember that it is the authour's work, and I don't want to get in any trouble with anyone.

4) With full permission and the original room launched in DROD 2.0, you now must take that room and modify it to use JtRH's aesthetic elements. However, you may not alter the puzzle of the room nor may you alter the layout of the floor space of the room. You may make the floor turn to grass or what-not, but you can not substitute a wall for a floor space.

5) Feel free to use scripting in the hold, but the scripting you use can't affect the puzzle. If you want, you could make it so a character says something when you finish the room. As long as the puzzle stays the same, there shouldn't be any problems with it.

6) While scripting is allowed, custom speech, custom images or custom tilesets will not be allowed. You can only use what's included in the base game. Besides, that would give an unfair advantage to the artists/speakers in the forum.

7) When you have reached a point of perfection in the hold and think that it cannot be worked on anymore, take a screenshot of it and export the hold to file (Anyone-Edit, please). Be sure that there is just that room, an empty entrance room, and an empty exit room. Also make sure that the title or level name does not relate to the original level or hold name. After all, it is your piece of work now.

8) Open up DROD:AE and take a screenshot of the original room. After that's all done, create a quick text file saying your forum name and what the exact location of the room is (IE - King Dugan's Dungeon - Level 24, Entrance).

9) With those 4 files in your hand, create a zip file and ship them over to me at CrazyCanuck00@gmail.com on or before Local Time:07-15-2005 at 07:00 PM. Remember, though, that the second you submit the file, it cannot be updated unless I specifically tell you otherwise. Check it twice! You don't want to make an error, as it could cost you!

10) You are only allowed to make a maximum of two entries into this contest, both of which will go into the poll.

Sounds like good gobs of fun if you are an architect, doesn't it? Well, I can hear some of you saying right now, "Argh! I can't build holds! Give me a contest where I have to kill a clan of roaches and I'll be happy!" Don't worry, as this isn't the full contest. After all, you can't have a war without two sides. Smitemasters will have their chance come the end of this contest. If you know for sure that you would rather be a smitemaster, just state it in this thread. I will tell the smitemasters that if you have a large knowledge of rooms that are below the Eighth, you will have an advantage. Along those same lines, you don't have to be the most efficient, but just have a good memory.

Now this is the part where I usually announce prizes, but because the full contest hasn't been revealed, it's staying on the down-low for a bit. Pulling a Mike Rimer on you (seeing as he released the first spoiler about DROD 3, Matt is no longer the spoiler king), I can tell you that rank points will be flowing left, right, and centre in this contest, so you have no reason not to enter!

Of course, the traditional rookie bonus of 10 points still stands for both parts. Let's see what you new members have to offer!

"Architects, I wish you good luck in your task. With our new strategy under our belt, we can show the dungers who is the supreme group on the Eighth!"

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-02-2005 03:13 PM]
07-01-2005 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (0)  
Sounds like a cool contest. A 74.94568% chance that I will enter.
BTW, Don't say "Dungers" too much or you will get Beethro mad.

[Last edited by rowrow at 07-01-2005 06:42 AM]
07-01-2005 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
OK, I've read through the rules and I think I have the basic idea but.. can I have a few things clarified?

4) However, you may not alter the puzzle of the room nor may you altered the total floor space of the room. You may make the floor turn to grass or what-not, but you can not substitute a wall for a floor space.

So when it says total floor space, does this mean we can make sure there is the same amount of floor, but it can be in entirely different places? (As long as the puzzle is the same). Or are we only mean to be changing the actual style eg what type of wall, what type of floor, etc..

And:
7) When you have reached a point of perfection in the hold and think that it cannot be worked on anymore..

What is our aim? How are we trying to make it 'perfect'? Or are we not meant to know that? All I know so far is that we are taking a room and making it look like JtRH. Is it meant to look the nicest?

(Oh - and why do we want lots of floor space anyway? And can we have characters enter the room and exit without actually affecting anything?)

[Last edited by TripleM at 07-01-2005 07:21 AM]
07-01-2005 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
TripleM wrote:
So when it says total floor space, does this mean we can make sure there is the same amount of floor, but it can be in entirely different places? (As long as the puzzle is the same). Or are we only mean to be changing the actual style eg what type of wall, what type of floor, etc..
No, the floor space right now in the room that you want must stay in the exact same spots. I will lighten it up and allow for a total of ten (10) tiles different, meaning you can have 10 more or less tiles added to the ones already in there. I hope that made sense to you.
What is our aim? How are we trying to make it 'perfect'? Or are we not meant to know that? All I know so far is that we are taking a room and making it look like JtRH. Is it meant to look the nicest?
Your aim is to make it looking like a completly different room without changing the solution or the puzzle is the intention. If you've ever watched one of those home remodeling show, it's using the same concept - take something that is already there and make it look completly different while still being fully functional.
(Oh - and why do we want lots of floor space anyway? And can we have characters enter the room and exit without actually affecting anything?)
Characters can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect the puzzle. A lot of floor space isn't a necessity, but at the time of writing it seemed like a wise idea.

07-01-2005 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
I'm tired, so forgive me for being slow to understand :D

Floor space exactly the same places - if there is a tile that you can walk on at (24,10) then that must be true in the new version. Same for walls. Is that right?

Home remodelling makes me think we're allowed to move things around..

But if thats true, then basically we're only able to change what type of wall, floor etc is in that square. I think.
07-01-2005 at 07:40 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Can walls be replaced with obstacles? Strictly speaking there is floor under obstacles (unless placed on walls/pits, which can look hokey), since they are on the [item] layer, but obstacles are more functionally equivalent to walls than floor. Or should obstacles be considered off-the-program?

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-02-2005 03:14 PM]
07-01-2005 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Questions:

Can we enter both parts, or do we have to choose a side?

Can we swap walls for pits (if there are no WWs or EEs that it would affect?)

Can we change insides of solid walls to floor (or vice versa)? For example, filling in the holes in the letters of KDD:L1:1W.

Can we replace walls with doors (if we make sure that they can't be opened)

Can we replace walls with uncuttable tar/mud (assuming no tar mother)?

Ooh, what about replacing crumbly walls with non-scripted, vulnerable characters? :P Actually, I think that would mess up brains.
07-01-2005 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Rank Points: 333
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (+1)  
I'll throw my lot in with the Smitemasters. I gather it's a little too early to ask about details, so I'll be patient.
07-01-2005 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Yeah, can we replace walls with, say, invincible NPCs?

Also: I think I've got my hold room for this, architect willing! :O!
07-01-2005 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: July Contest Test.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 110 times.
License: Other
TripleM wrote:
Floor space exactly the same places - if there is a tile that you can walk on at (24,10) then that must be true in the new version. Same for walls. Is that right?
Pretty much. The main point is that all floor and wall tiles that affect the puzzle. If you want to alter other tiles, then you have a limit to change ten floor tiles to unwalkable tiles (Walls, pits, obstacles, orbs even), ten unwalkable to floor, or a combination of the two so that the total equals ten changed tiles.
But if thats true, then basically we're only able to change what type of wall, floor etc is in that square. I think.
Pretty much, but I have tried to make it a bit more lenient. A sample entry I made is attached if you want a better idea. Taken from Level 9 of "Beethro's First Job".
AlefBet wrote:
Can walls be replaced with obstacles?
Of course! And walls and statues can be replaced with pits so long as there are no wraithwings that could enter that space and change the puzzle.
Rabscuttle wrote:
Can we enter both parts, or do we have to choose a side?
Only one side. No spies or treason in this war.
Can we swap walls for pits (if there are no WWs or EEs that it would affect?)
If it doesn't affect the puzzle, it's all good.
Can we change insides of solid walls to floor (or vice versa)?
Yes, but you have a ten tile limit for changing unwalkable tiles to walkable tiles, remember.
Can we replace walls with doors (if we make sure that they can't be opened)
I could see that being used for minimap things, so yes, as long as they don't affect the puzzle.
Can we replace walls with uncuttable tar/mud (assuming no tar mother)?
Hmmm....sure, as long as it is impossible to cut the tar/mud, I see no problem in it.
Ooh, what about replacing crumbly walls with non-scripted, vulnerable characters?
Please, no invisible characters. All walls/obstacles/whatever must be visible for the sake of everyone's sanity.
KevG wrote:
I'll throw my lot in with the Smitemasters. I gather it's a little too early to ask about details, so I'll be patient.
Details on Part II of the contest will be released around the 15th.
Banjooie wrote:
Also: I think I've got my hold room for this, architect willing!
Good to hear! Can't wait to see it!

And attached is a sample entry that I quickly created. I hope that all this helps clear up some things for you.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-01-2005 07:10 PM : :whistle]
07-01-2005 at 07:08 PM
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
I've no experience as an Architect so I'll throw my lot in with the Smitemasters.
07-01-2005 at 09:27 PM
TripleM
Yeah, I think I'm safer going with smitemasters :)
07-01-2005 at 10:28 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, I'm all done my entry. :D
07-02-2005 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenlion
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 199
I feel smitemastery.

07-02-2005 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (+2)  
Ok, well I've never tried the editor but here goes :)

Just one thing:
Heads to the Holds page, and find any room in a hold made in DROD:AE (1.6).

I presume this is the holds where version == 'Architecs' Edition'.
How can I find out the version of holds I've already downloaded ?

Ditto for how to contact them ?
Bavato's Dungeon (say), no longer displays Wesley Chuan's username once downloaded...
07-02-2005 at 02:40 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Syntax wrote:
How can I find out the version of holds I've already downloaded ?
Ditto for how to contact them ?
Short of deleting the hold, I doubt there's any in-game way of recovering this information. But, if you check out the Holds board here on the forum, every hold has it's own thread containing the information you need.
07-02-2005 at 04:05 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
This information is also on the Holds page which you can access from the main drod.net page. It's through the Downloads section.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-02-2005 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Makes total sense... was just looking in the wrong place.

Cheers guys... :)
07-03-2005 at 02:03 AM
Django
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Well fnort my farkles, I'm answerin' the call for old wall-bashing burbler types, like unto my own illusory selfness, to spread some old school joie de morte among the smite-worthy goobers infesting your puzzling dungarees.

(Leastwise, I think that was the offer. Ya want stuff smote right soundly, ain't that the gist?)

(Oh yeah, I just wanna go on record here: I ain't never had no pre-judas 'gainst no folks with the sorrowful bad karma to get themselves borned in that funny-talkin' country up North where it's so stoney froze-up cold even the zebras cain't climb up and peel a half-decent banana fer supper. If'n y'all catch my drift.)

07-03-2005 at 02:45 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Rowthro Budkin is ready for action.I am a smitemaster

07-03-2005 at 05:04 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Oh dear... I certainly hope that I haven't scared people into going to the Smitemaster side simly because this sounds complicated. To clear up a bit of confusion, both parts will take an equal amount of skill and effort, so don't try heading over to the Smitemaster side simply because it hasn't been announced yet. The second part of the contest will be much funner if there are more Architects, for sure.

07-03-2005 at 06:25 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm taking part into my eighth contest (;)) as an Architect. Hopefully my room requests will be answered before the first part deadline ends.
07-03-2005 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Can you use a room made by yourself (I am going to use a room of one of my old holds.)
07-03-2005 at 10:42 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'll also enter as an architect. No idea which room I'd do however. Just to clarify, basically the task is to alter a room aesthetically but it's to remain functionally identical? If so, I can't see what the challenge for the smitemasters will be.
Also, does the room have to be completable?

07-03-2005 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Can you use a room made by yourself (I am going to use a room of one of my old holds.)
I would prefer you not. If you have a problem contacting people and the deadline is near, then contact me and I'll allow you to use a room from your own hold.
Jacob wrote:
Just to clarify, basically the task is to alter a room aesthetically but it's to remain functionally identical?
In a word - yes. That is the general idea.
If so, I can't see what the challenge for the smitemasters will be.
My lips are sealed, but you'll find out on the 15th, don't worry.
Also, does the room have to be completable?
Can you please explain some more? You have to be able to enter, solve and exit the room, so in what circumstance would you need to know whether it's completable or not?

07-03-2005 at 06:25 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Well...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jacob at 07-03-2005 07:42 PM : Misplaced apo'strophe]
07-03-2005 at 07:40 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Jacob wrote:
Well...

I may be building something, but that will depend on how much time I have, so I won't promise anything for now.

07-03-2005 at 08:16 PM
Syntax
And if the room you're changing is solveable, then so will be the end result. No ?
07-03-2005 at 11:45 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I choose to not participate in this months contest, but let it be known that if anybody wants to use a room from Claythro Tower, or Contest Hold, that permission is unconditionally granted. Go for it.

I've also PMed Mr. gamer_extreme letting him know this as well.
07-04-2005 at 02:18 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
If it is similar to the last contest, then open approval or using your own rooms gives an advantage to the smitemasters. :?

I will be architecting.
07-04-2005 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The War of the Dungeons (July's Patriotic Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com