Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH : 11th Level : 3 North, 1 West (Arg!)
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Azsedcf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon JtRH : 11th Level : 3 North, 1 West (0)  
Ok this is the first hint I have needed for JtRH but that is because this room seems to just mess me over every time I tried it the past few weeks!

:blowup YARRGG!!!

Please, any hints would be helpfull.

Click here to view the secret text

04-17-2005 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: JtRH : 11th Level : 3 North, 1 West (0)  

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-17-2005 at 07:36 AM]

04-17-2005 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

04-17-2005 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Azsedcf
Rank Points: 27
Maurog wrote:
How did you find out?

[Edited by Azsedcf at Local Time:04-17-2005 at 03:20 PM]
04-17-2005 at 03:19 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: JtRH : 11th Level : 3 North, 1 West (+1)  
Once you conquer a room, you may press F6 in that room to see your demos for it. And if you're connected, you also see the top 8 demos online in the lower box - greyed out. Then you can download any of these demos and watch them. Online competition is what CaravelNet is all about!

04-17-2005 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
you can also have the gane save demos when you die
and then go back and see what you are doing wrong
there is a check box in your settings for this
04-17-2005 at 09:59 PM
dessgeega
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
i need more help than this. if i try to hit the orbs i get surrounded by roaches, and if i try to kill the roaches the the fuses reach the bombs.

is there some valuable stratagem i'm overlooking?
04-20-2005 at 11:46 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Well, the only other thing I can think to tell you is to release some roaches, and try to move towards the next orb as you kill the incoming roaches. Diagonal sword positions are useful for this. For example, if you have a line of roaches coming in from the E, but you need to move N, get your sword facing SE and move N, killing as you step.

04-20-2005 at 11:57 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
dessgeega wrote:
i need more help than this. if i try to hit the orbs i get surrounded by roaches, and if i try to kill the roaches the the fuses reach the bombs.

is there some valuable stratagem i'm overlooking?

Just roach-killing efficiency. Say Beethro's in the following position:
.BRRRR
.R\\...
.R....
.R....
.R....

Where each R is a roach. Moving Beethro into this situation and then moving left or up will kill the roaches in the other row/column as you move, and then you can kill the rest. Every move should kill a roach or move you closer to the next orb, if possible. Also, at the end, I found it very important to use the final orb to block a lot of the roaches from getting to me so that I could escape to safety.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-21-2005 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dessgeega
yay! thank you.
04-22-2005 at 02:03 AM
Mistweave
Rank Points: 23

File: JtRH Eleventh Level 3N1W Death.demo (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 251 times.
License: Other
Just roach-killing efficiency. Say Beethro's in the following position:
.BRRRR
.R\\...
.R....
.R....
.R....

Where each R is a roach. Moving Beethro into this situation and then moving left or up will kill the roaches in the other row/column as you move, and then you can kill the rest.

Ok...but if you're in the same situation, but you need to move to the right? I keep getting trapped in the NW corner of the room, with the orb holding off the roaches approaching from below while I kill the ones coming from the right. But the ones coming from the right are in single-file, so it takes two moves per roach, so I wind up about eight moves short of the NE orb when the fuse runs out.

My guess is that the solution to my problem is ... don't get into that situation in the first place. So, I've attached a demo of one of my recent attempts (SW then NW orbs). I figure I either need to try killing a few roaches while I'm in the SW corner, or find some way of getting the roaches to line up in a double column from the east. Or I'm just completely missing something. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

07-03-2005 at 05:22 AM
Mistweave
Ok...Finally got this one! So, in the interest of helping those who got stuck the same way I did, I'll answer my own question from the previous post:

If you have roaches approaching from the east and south, and little room to maneuver to north and west...

This approach helps two ways - not only does it waste fewer moves, the sequence also ends up significantly further east (towards the next orb) than just waiting for the bugs to come to you.

Hope that helps someone out there. I managed to just squeak out the room - caught the last orb with no moves to spare.

07-05-2005 at 09:06 PM
Oneiromancer
Now that you've beaten the room, check out the top scoring demos on CaravelNet. If you haven't done that before, press F6 while in a completed room and the list of the top demos will appear in the bottom left hand corner. You can Download them and watch them to see some nifty solutions. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-05-2005 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mistweave
Oneiromancer wrote:
Now that you've beaten the room, check out the top scoring demos on CaravelNet.
That was the first thing I did. Learned a couple of new tricks not mentioned above from the best demo on there (Wesley Chua as of this writing).

I haven't made a LOT of use out of the 'best demos' feature yet, but now I plan to check out the demos for any room that takes me longer than a few minutes to figure out. I'll probably want to go check out a few best demos on previous levels, now - is there any way to do so w/o restoring to that previous level?

IMHO, 'best demos' is one of the BEST features of this game, not necessarily for competition, but for learning.

07-05-2005 at 09:28 PM
Chopper
Rank Points: 16
I keep coming up 2 - 3 moves short. Starting with sword south, then SE for the guys coming from the E. But after the 2nd orb and all roaches dead, I seem to have way too many squares to go to reach the NE globe. What am I doing wrong?
07-23-2005 at 06:49 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Speed! You do care about Halph, right? Even if you don't, you've got to run to help him out.

Other than that, and all the hints in this thread, I cannot think of anything else to add; it's all about speed here (and surviving, of course).
07-23-2005 at 07:31 PM
Chopper
Rank Points: 16
Found where I lost 2 steps. Easy peasy after that.
07-23-2005 at 08:51 PM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Oneiromancer wrote:
Just roach-killing efficiency.
In this situation:
.B-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
if you have an orb to get to which is behind you, you may find it more efficient to use NSNSNS rather than run E (away from your target orb). This doesn't work in all situations and I'm danged if I know why.

There's probably a thread somewhere explaining this kind of efficiency tip. :fun
07-23-2005 at 11:18 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
HopelessAmateur wrote:
This doesn't work in all situations and I'm danged if I know why.

Its because of monster-movement-order, I think. Depending on the way the roaches are placed, sometimes going up and down will cause them all to go up and down and not get any closer; sometimes they will split up nicely for you.
07-24-2005 at 12:59 AM
Zippy
Hitting the southwest orb brings down roaches from opposite sides. How are you supposed to handle them?
09-16-2005 at 03:29 AM
rendle
Anybody got a demo? Only I suck.

[Last edited by rendle at 02-14-2006 11:37 AM : Turn on notification]
02-14-2006 at 11:30 AM
Oneiromancer

File: JtRH Eleventh Level 3N1W Victory.demo (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 509 times.
License: Public Domain
Here is my (far from optimized) demo. It's pretty much as bad as you can do and still solve the room. ;)

Game on,

02-14-2006 at 05:15 PM
Superslash2
Rank Points: 18
Please help me... I have tried virtually EVERYTHING I can think off. I always wind up just short. I want to play this game using no hints at all but I'm desperate now... Can some one give me not a hint as such but rather a technique to save time? My demo here is rather stupid but I can't perform when everyone's looking... more often than not, I wind up either one square away (with just my sword between me and the orb) in a nice spot, or having hit the orb with all the raches standing behind me. Please, there must be some sort of trick but I haven't found it yet.

P.S. - If I hear 'Heya Unka Beethro' one more time, heads will roll.

02-23-2006 at 09:01 PM
Superslash2
Sorry for double posting just before this. I don't know how it happened. I'll shut up now...

02-23-2006 at 09:03 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Hitting the orbs is your first priority - not killing the roaches.

02-23-2006 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Superslash2
That was fast...

Yeah I know but there's no point hitting the orbs and then dying to a roach and thus having to redo everything. Plus in my effort to save time at times I miss the save spot. Lik I said, that demo doesn't really show my best attempt but it's the best I could record...

02-23-2006 at 09:10 PM
Oneiromancer
Okay, first of all, in the post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS I posted a complete demo to this room. Check the Help file if you don't know how to import it.

Second, instead of apologizing for double-posting...you can just delete it by clicking Edit/Delete under the post and checking the box to delete the post. I did it for you this time, but really, it happens on occasion and it is easy to fix by yourself if you notice it.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 02-23-2006 09:21 PM]
02-23-2006 at 09:20 PM
Superslash2
Sorry, I didn't realize I could just delete it.

I didn't want any actual movements/demo for the problem, just a tip or two that would have worked.

Though there's no need now. About two minutes after posting I had solved it. Heheh...

02-23-2006 at 10:40 PM
Sentarium
Oneiromancer wrote:
Okay, first of all, in the post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS I posted a complete demo to this room. Check the Help file if you don't know how to import it.

Second, instead of apologizing for double-posting...you can just delete it by clicking Edit/Delete under the post and checking the box to delete the post. I did it for you this time, but really, it happens on occasion and it is easy to fix by yourself if you notice it.

Game on,

I can't understand where should I click in order to see demo.
I hust get to another duscussion
please....

02-05-2007 at 01:09 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Scroll up a bit, and look below Oneiromancers avatar picture. There you will find the demo as a little blueish link. Click on it to download it. Start up DROD, press F6, and chose import, and chose the demo. Then you select the demó and press watch.
02-05-2007 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH : 11th Level : 3 North, 1 West (Arg!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com