Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #5
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Blind Race #5 (+2)  
It's been a while since the last blind race, so it seems like a good time to start setting up the next one.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, a blind race is an event where a short hold is put together and then some people race it, with no advance knowledge of the hold. We've had four of these so far and they've all been pretty fun.

So, to have another one, we'll need a few volunteers! We need architects to make levels for the race hold, and we need people to test it in advance to make sure the rooms are reasonable and not badly broken. And, of course, we need racers!

Racers will be expected to stream their playthrough of the hold, so we can verify how long they take. If you want to race, we recommend doing a test stream in advance to catch any problems that might come up.

The date of the race is not set in advance; we'll arrange that once we know who the racers are so they can pick a time that works for everyone involved.

With all that settled, this thread is open for volunteers!

Architects
-Dragon Fogel
-Insoluble
-PigmyWubba
-blorx1

Testers
-Nuntar
-disoriented
-Crimson Moon
-Aquator

Racers
-mauvebutterfly
-Chaco
-ThemsAllTook

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 01-11-2018 09:45 PM]
12-19-2017 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Blind Race #5 (0)  
I'm good with doing any of the three roles, but I'd prefer to race. Seems like that's always where we are short on people anyway.

My recording issues are always related to voice recording, but I should be able to do a silent LP/run without any trouble.

12-19-2017 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I'll put you down as a racer for now and that can be changed later if necessary.

Insoluble has also volunteered for architecture.
12-19-2017 at 03:23 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'll put myself down as a racer. I should be able to stream on the actual day itself, so hopefully it should be an exciting race.

12-19-2017 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Tester (and possible room contributor to an existing level)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-03-2018 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
Its been a while since I've been on DROD, I would like to be a tester.
01-10-2018 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I don't seem to be able to invite you to the beta. I guess either your subscription's expired or you don't have the option checked to be able to be invited?
01-10-2018 at 10:25 PM
Crimson Moon
Rank Points: 108
Sorry about that, you should be able to now.
01-10-2018 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
icon Re: Blind Race #5 (+1)  
I would also like to volunteer as a tester if those are still needed. :)
01-10-2018 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I invited you both, though we don't have anything to test yet. I hope to change that today.
01-11-2018 at 06:50 PM
Dragon Fogel
Oh hey, I did! Made my level, or at least the first draft of it.
01-11-2018 at 09:46 PM
Dragon Fogel
Important update: It's taken a while, but we have four complete levels. We're still getting and processing feedback, but that shouldn't take as long.

So we should be able to run the race soon. My preferred time frame would be within two weeks and a month from now; that should give us plenty of time to finish up the hold and make sure it's all good for the race, while still getting it wrapped up reasonably promptly.

In any case, if you're planning to race, please post here and tell us what dates and times would be best for you.
02-20-2018 at 03:58 AM
ThemsAllTook
Rank Points: 207
Nice! My schedule is pretty flexible. Any time other than the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday should be doable.
02-20-2018 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
I'm moving in a week and don't know how long I'll be without Internet after that. I start a new job on the 1st of March.

My hours should be the same as before though, so evenings or weekends are fine for me. Korea time. Which works out to mornings in Europe and the middle of the night in the Americas.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 02-20-2018 04:35 AM]
02-20-2018 at 04:33 AM
Dragon Fogel
Update: The hold is mostly complete now. It doesn't have jokers implemented yet, though. Guess I'll have to grab the race version of a hold in order to get the relevant scripts.

At the moment I'm mainly looking for a volunteer (not a racer, obviously) to run through the whole hold and give us an estimate of how long it takes to complete.
02-24-2018 at 02:52 AM
Dragon Fogel
Jokers are implemented. So now we pretty much just need someone to do a full test run and make any final tweaks that are deemed necessary after that. Shouldn't take long.

So for a day... how does Local Time:03-10-2018 at 01:00 PM work for our prospective runners? That's two weeks from now.
02-24-2018 at 06:59 PM
mauvebutterfly
Obviously don't say anything about this one way or the other since I'll be running in the race, but I'm just going to point out an issue that I had with the joker script in Blind Race #4. The script doesn't recognise custom monsters by default, so if anybody is using lemmings, temporal aumtlich, or any of that fun stuff, you'll have to add each custom enemy to the script individually.

Bent-Tail Lemmings in particular need to be added twice, since the lemming that is half way through the ninety degree rotation is technically a different enemy.

I also don't think I ever tested the script on seeding beacons. I know it works for conquer tokens though.

02-24-2018 at 07:18 PM
mauvebutterfly
I'm moving on the 27th. I can't imagine that I'll be without internet up to the 10th of March, but I'll post here once I've confirmed that my internet is working. I'll post via phone if it isn't for whatever reason.

Assuming that I have the ability to be online, I see no reason why that date and time wouldn't work. It's an ideal time slot for me, so I'm happy with it.

02-24-2018 at 07:22 PM
ThemsAllTook
Rank Points: 207
That time is a little bit early for me... I could probably do it if I had to, but what about one hour later? Would that work?
02-25-2018 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Oh, I just noticed I misunderstood the localtime tag because apparently the time I'm supposed to put in is GMT, not my own timezone.

So it's showing 6 AM my time, when I was planning to suggest 1 PM. Whoops! And it would be an hour earlier for Chaco, so unless he's up for a very early-morning race, the time should definitely be shifted back a few hours. So probably not as convenient for mauve, but hopefully we can manage somewhere in between extremes? I picked a weekend for a reason.

Chaco's got the earliest timezone, so I'll let him weigh in on when he expects to be awake enough to race.
02-25-2018 at 08:18 PM
Chaco
Right now the localtime tag says 8:00 AM for me. I'm alright with that. 9:00 AM would be a little bit more convenient for me, but if 8:00 AM is more convenient for everyone else then I'm fine with that too.

I expect to be totally free on the 10th; I'll let everyone know if something comes up that would interfere with that.

I'll probably do a test stream at some point next week just to make sure my recording setup can stream properly ahead of time.

02-25-2018 at 10:13 PM
Dragon Fogel
Oh, somehow I thought you were west of me and had an earlier time. Well, it's no problem for me to push it back an hour.

Which would make it Local Time:03-10-2018 at 02:00 PM
02-25-2018 at 10:25 PM
mauvebutterfly
That's now showing 11pm for me, but I'm usually up until 1 or 2am anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. Especially on a Saturday night.

02-26-2018 at 03:26 AM
disoriented
I'll go out on a limb and say the hold is finished.

Looks like we've got an official start time now, too.

03-04-2018 at 09:57 PM
mauvebutterfly
Posting a pseudo update: I should be getting Internet installed soon, but I don't know when exactly that will be. The company will call me when they are available.

Worst case scenario I guess I can try to stream from a PC Bang, but I won't bother to record commentary in that case since it'll be fighting with a lot of loud Korean children.

03-06-2018 at 07:31 AM
mauvebutterfly
Internet is online. I should be good for Saturday.

03-08-2018 at 01:07 PM
disoriented
It’s now less than 18 hours until the race. Streamers: please test your setup and ability to stream video and audio.

03-09-2018 at 09:13 PM
disoriented
And feel free to post your stream URLs here.

03-09-2018 at 10:33 PM
Chaco
My test stream to YouTube worked well, and is available to watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhfc9jBK07I

In which I beat the first two levels of kieranmillar's "King Nereik's Dungeon", currently in Architecture:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42969

--

Note that I'll have to post a new link to a new stream on the race day itself, but I should be around early enough to do a pre-stream so that everything's all set up properly.

03-09-2018 at 10:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
Just a little bit of info that I'm posting now before the race starts.

We're trying something different with secret rooms in this race. There's one secret, and it's not much harder than most of the hold - but it is carefully hidden. If you find it, you can get an extra joker.

There will be three jokers to start with.

Thought it best to have that out ahead of time so you can all digest it a bit. Good luck to the racers!
03-10-2018 at 06:01 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #5
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com