Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Inconsistency with seep
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Seep are Stupid.hold (885 bytes)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Inconsistency with seep (+1)  
Seep can be pushed onto pressure plates and they will trigger the plates, which means they act like ground monsters in some cases.

In other cases, namely pits, seep can be pushed over pits and don't die until the end of their turn, so you can push them back into walls before they die. This means they act like a flying monster in some cases.

I'm not sure which should be chosen, I'm personally partial towards flying because they're gaseous and I wouldn't expect them to trigger plates, but since they can be eaten by adders and stuff, solidity isn't really a major concern. I just find it more believable that they don't fall than that they hit plates.

The attached hold demonstrates this.

05-26-2015 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Inconsistency with seep (0)  
I would expect neither, really. I think seep should die when pushed out of walls in a similar way to monsters getting pushed into pits: immediately, and they don't affect anything.
05-26-2015 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
In other cases, such as having a door dropped underneath them, they die on their turn and this behavior has been used to block things. Besides, the pushing and not dying immediately has already been used in a published hold, so you can't have neither.

05-26-2015 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Inconsistency with seep (+1)  
This is intended.

if (pMonster->wType == M_SEEP)
		return; //seep don't fall, and should die naturally on their turn

And commit message:
TFMurphy:
Seep now no longer fall into pits and water when pushed: they will instead die naturally due to being outside of a wall.

Closing as not a bug.

05-27-2015 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Ok, the next part of this question is: is their hitting pressure plates intended? It seems strange that seep don't fall to the bottom of pits but they do fall far enough to trigger plates.

05-27-2015 at 09:53 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Ah-ha! Actually they shouldn't. You can't see it for yourself but when I disable the death-outside-wall for seep the plates are automatically depressed at the end of the turn even if they keep standing there and there are places in the code which strongly suggest that is the case.

So fixed this. Seep will no longer press pressure plates in 5.0.2. And I hope it doesn't break any rooms.

05-28-2015 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
It will break Buried Dungeon : Ruins : Entrance, but blorx1 is right here and can replace that room with something else.

05-28-2015 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I don't think it'll break that. That room uses a different aspect of seep which shouldn't be affected (since if this were changed it would break a ton of other rooms too)

05-28-2015 at 10:06 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
This issue appears to have been fixed for 5.0.2. Seep can no longer activate pressure plates when pushed onto them.
07-26-2015 at 07:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Inconsistency with seep
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com