Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Do It Again (Seeding Beacon style)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jokokoe
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 71
IP: Logged

File: Do It Again.hold (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Do It Again (+2)  
Hi everybody !

I really liked the room with the seeding beacon in the new king dugan's dungeon so I decided to make a Hold based on this .
For now there is the principal room that you'll have to conquer four times ( You have to start with the spear because I think it's the easiest ) .
3 other rooms that have to be conquered two times . Maybe I'll add more of them to make the hold bigger but for now I'd like a feedback .

Have a nice play ! :D

Edit :

-Fixed some problems in the main room and added 2 rooms.
-First Level complete.
-Fixed PP problem from the 1N2E room of the first level.
-Second Level complete.
-Third Level complete.

Architecture Salon
Do it Again

[Last edited by jokokoe at 10-14-2015 04:26 PM]
12-20-2014 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Do It Again (0)  
Very cool hold. I really enjoyed this so far. I've explored the East and west branches and found the rooms to be very fun. The final Aumtlich room 1N2E in particular was quite clever.

If you're looking for constructive feedback, I would say that the rooms in the western branch could each use another checkpoint. These are the rooms in which you need to come up with an initial setup for the room then stepping on the pressure plate (and only checkpoint) to see if it works. I found that in a few cases I had the powder kegs off by one or two tiles and would have liked to have been able to save before stepping on the pressure plate. This is a minor quibble though.

Lastly, I haven't yet managed to conquer the main room (1N) with the dagger and was wondering if anyone could give a hint. In particular, I can't seem to find a way to kill the snake. It seems I have to do it with goblins, but I'm not sure how to manipulate them without getting killed in the snake room since they no longer fear my sword. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

12-30-2014 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jokokoe
icon Re: Do It Again (+2)  
Hello and sorry to reply right now . My computer crashed and I was too busy to fix it ...
I added some checkpoint on the western rooms !
And yes , you need to use the goblin to kill the snake when you are wearing the dagger , it's a bit tricky !
I'll add soon a second level based on " Rapid Fortification " .

Architecture Salon
Do it Again

[Last edited by jokokoe at 03-11-2015 09:38 PM]
03-11-2015 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
jokokoe wrote:
Hello and sorry to reply right now . My computer crashed and I was too busy to fix it ...
I added some checkpoint on the western rooms !
And yes , you need to use the goblin to kill the snake when you are wearing the dagger , it's a bit tricky !
I'll add soon a second level based on " Rapid Fortification " .

Thanks so much for the reply! Sorry to hear bout the computer woes, but I'm very happy that this hold won't be abandoned; it's very cool so far. Thanks for the reply to my question about dagger. I just went back and was finally able to do it after all this time! Somehow just knowing it was possible helped me to see the key insight
Click here to view the secret text
After that it was pretty easy. I look forward to seeing the rest of this hold develop!

03-12-2015 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jokokoe
Second level is now complete . As I said , this level is largely inspired by TSS " Rapid Fortification " level .
The goal of each room is to trigger off every seeding beacons ( with different kind of challenge for every room ) .
There are less rooms than first level but I think they are harder ...

I'd like to focus on the third level wich will use the seeding beacon in a new way :
I'm gonna try to construct rooms that player will have to conquer more than one time ( like the first level ) .
But instead of conquering it again with a new weapon , I'll use the entrance position as the challenge . I'm not so sure on how I'll do this but I got time to think of it .
Feedback is welcome for the second level , have a nice play ! :)

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
03-15-2015 at 04:35 PM
Insoluble
I look forward to playing through these! I've managed to just about wrap up the first level (one more room to traverse for the 2nd time.) I couldn't help but take a peek at levels 2 and 3 in the editor and have a few quick comments.

2nd level: General thoughts. I like the level layout of small rooms and freedom to access the entire level from the beginning. I also enjoyed the theme of sister gates forcing the last kill to be upon room exit. Also, I'm happy to see a lot of construct rooms since those happen to be my favorite new enemy from TSS.

Second Level 1N: It's quite easy to kill the snake without entering the little room then to just push the roach into the small hallway with the sword token in order to reach the beacon. Was this the intended solution or was I supposed to try to manipulate the roach and serpent at the same time somehow?

Second Level 1N1W: Fun and cleaver application of the guard's movement preferences. I didn't think I'd survive waiting in that corner for him at first!

Second Level 1N1E: Fairly difficult to pull off, but not terrible. I saw fairly quickly what had to be done, but relied heavily on Unlimited Undo to get the constructs set up properly. All in all it was a fun room though.

Second Level 3N1E: I really like the mechanic here, it's like a variant of "Lights out". Having the second fegundo to keep track of makes this one a bit tricky, but it was never too fiddley and I think the difficulty is just right.

Other rooms: did not solve yet.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 04-06-2015 03:31 AM]
04-06-2015 at 03:28 AM
jokokoe
icon Re: Do It Again (+1)  
Third ( last ) level is now complete. I may change some things but the biggest part is done.
Feedback is welcome !

P.S : When the Hold will be completely finished , what do will I have to do so it can be downloaded on the " Hold " section ? thank you !

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
10-09-2015 at 03:45 PM
jokokoe
Fixed some problems on the third level.

-1N2E : PP will now desactivate correctly the forces arrows
-1N1E : Room have a bit change but the goal is the same
-1N3E : Added the missing seeding beacon

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
10-11-2015 at 10:30 PM
Insoluble
Okay, some more comments. Here are some thoughts on rooms I hadn't commented on before. Also, I just wanted to mention that the overall aesthetics of the new level are very nice. I like the return to rooms that you have to traverse more than once.
EDIT: opse, forgot to secret tag things for spoilers.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-12-2015 02:17 PM]
10-12-2015 at 04:27 AM
jokokoe
Thank you very much for the reply :)

So I've modified what had to be modified :

Second Level :

-1N :

-2N1E : Steel need to work on this one , has you say it's to chaotic...

-2N1W and 3N : exactly what was expected !

Third Level :

-1E :

-2E : I've forget a yellow door ! now the room will be a bit more tricky.

-1N2E : I forget to put the others disarm token , now it's okay. I also put the checkpoints more at the center , hope it's better now.

-1N1E : I forget the 3 PP and the yellows doors corresponding , now the room is much more challenging ( I found this one pretty hard for myself , maybe to more ? I need a feedback )

-3E : Well, First I had put a sister green gate but I was unable to finish the room. Maybe it's possible but look's like pretty hard ! :D EDIT : now there's a second seeding beacon.

Architecture Salon
Do it Again

[Last edited by jokokoe at 10-16-2015 03:34 PM]
10-14-2015 at 04:22 PM
Insoluble
I started a play through from the beginning just to do one last check (and send you the demos for inclusion with your hold submission). Cleared the first level but the exit stairs ended the hold instead of taking me to the second level. Looks like level 2 exit stairs may have the same problem. Please make sure that these are set to take you to the correct level. Other than that, I posted a few comments below on the recent changes but it looks good!

Second Level :

-1N :

-2N1E : In retrospect it's not a bad room. It's just tough and dependent on a lot of tricky monster manipulation. I'd say it's fine as is.

Third Level :

-1E : Looks fixed.

-2E : The yellow door makes this much more interesting. Very reminiscent of Constructs Warehouse (in a good way).

-1N2E : Looks good now.

-1N1E : Now this room makes more sense. I used the eastern passage but the strategy I used would work just the same for the West.

-3E : "now there's a second seeding beacon." I don't think this copied over with the most recent update. Just for fun I tried it out and this room is definitely possible with one seeding beacon and a sister gate at the exit forcing you to keep a construct alive at all times. Not necessarily fun, but possible :P

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-27-2015 02:57 AM]
10-27-2015 at 02:55 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Note: When solving Third Level 1N3E from the North entrance, it's currently possible to just step on the gel/mud switcher a second time before entering the chamber, turning the blob back to mud and making a (mostly) identical solution to the first entrance. That's almost certainly not intentional since solving that room is gel isn't much harder than as mud.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-28-2015 02:55 PM]
10-28-2015 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jokokoe
Thank you , haven't think of that !!!

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
10-28-2015 at 05:25 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
There's another unintentional solution in Third Level 1N3E. You can hit the pressure plate at (18,1) from the south entrance and it will reopen the doors that closed, allowing you to reach the seeding beacon on the first pass through the room.

Moving the south-arrow from (18,0) to (18,1) would be a nice way to fix this, and also lets you re-enter the room from north if you want to change your starting sword orientation (optimizers don't like force arrows on room entrances).
11-08-2015 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Do It Again (Seeding Beacon style)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com