Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (Feature request contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (+6)  
The bar has reached 90%. And, according to Mike's schedule in the "Watch the Bar" topic, none of the remaining development time is allocated to incorporating new features, so it's a fair bet that it's too late for any new monster suggestions to actually get into the game.

of course, it was probably too late at around the 50% mark or earlier, but... that spoils the joke, so let's not be picky.

This is a contest to celebrate the ones that didn't make it.

To enter this contest, post here (not on the Feature Requests board!) describing and advertising a new monster or gameplay feature (not an interface or editor feature). There are two criteria on which entries will be judged: (1) The feature must be awful, the more awful the better. (2) The description must be as entertaining as possible -- feel free to provide a picture or other media to make your awful feature request look good (or rather, to make it look as if you're trying to make it look good).

EDIT: As per skell's suggestion, I will accept submissions by PM.

The deadline for entering this contest is 2:00 am, 8 January, 2014.

If at least five entries are received, I will start a voting topic, and the winner (that is, the entry judged to be most awful and most entertaining) will receive 100 rank points and a prize from the Prize Pile. 2nd and 3rd place receive 50 and 25 rank points, respectively, plus a free month of CaravelNet!

[Last edited by Nuntar at 01-07-2014 01:03 PM]
12-20-2013 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (0)  
I'd say to not post here but either PM it directly to you to avoid spoiling ideas to other contestants and spoiling creators of ideas, like the usual contest. Or create a thread where posts are hidden for it.

[Last edited by skell at 12-20-2013 07:33 PM]
12-20-2013 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Great contest idea. I'd been racking my brains for something like this, but I guess I deal better in the abstract. Yes, please post a submission topic, and we'll nationalize your contest, transforming it into an official Caravel Forum contest. (Think big, everyone: the winner of the contest may opt to receive a free copy of TSS as their prize when it's released!)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-20-2013 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
How about the winner's idea gets added into the game as like a post mastery joke? I'm not sure how possible this is, due to the current state of the game. Just an idea.
By the way, I promise to not put something in about cross examining the roaches...-_-

My house is on fire
12-20-2013 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Godot23 wrote:
By the way, I promise to not put something in about cross examining the roaches...-_-

I assume anything based off of Maurog's Monster Scan will probably be ineligible.

Anyway, this contest sounds pretty good - it's easy to get caught up in the hype surrounding TSS and this should be a good way to take it easy for a bit.

12-20-2013 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Godot23 wrote:
How about the winner's idea gets added into the game as like a post mastery joke? I'm not sure how possible this is, due to the current state of the game. Just an idea.
Fun idea! Ehh...I guess it depends on what it is. You never know...someone's really bad idea might be in the game already (gulp)!

12-21-2013 at 05:03 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I'm in. I PM'd you, but I'll post in the submission topic too.
12-21-2013 at 10:10 PM
Godot23
Rank Points: 114
mrimer wrote:
Godot23 wrote:
Fun idea! Ehh...I guess it depends on what it is. You never know...someone's really bad idea might be in the game already (gulp)!

Why can I see myself putting my foot in my mouth with this submission? :look

My house is on fire
12-21-2013 at 10:42 PM
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
icon Re: The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
You never know...someone's really bad idea might be in the game already (gulp)!

Step One: make a policy that any submission that will be used in the game will be withheld from the voting.

Step Two: don't tell anyone which ideas (or how many) you added from this contest.

Step Three (profit): anything in the game that people don't like can be automatically blamed on this contest!
12-22-2013 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
I'm sending out an Illumination now featuring this contest. I'd like to extend the deadline out a week in order for people just hearing about it via the newsletter to have a reasonable amount of time to invent and submit something.

I've updated the top post with the updated contest details. Is this okay?

12-28-2013 at 09:52 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Oh, man! I'm in. :)
12-29-2013 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Just a day or two left to get submissions in!

Good luck, everyone. :)

01-06-2014 at 03:30 PM
Nuntar
To be precise, there are 31 hours remaining, and so far only three valid entries have been received. Please do join -- it doesn't take long to write up a feature request!

01-06-2014 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
How many submissions can you make?

01-07-2014 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
icon Re: The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (+1)  
Up to three entries per contestant. If multiple entries by the same contestant place in the top three, only the highest-placed is eligible for a prize.

For the record, the contest now has plenty of entries, so there is no danger of the voting topic not going ahead :D But there are still 13 hours to go if you want to submit another entry!

01-07-2014 at 01:02 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Chaco wrote:
I assume anything based off of Maurog's Monster Scan will probably be ineligible.
But that's not terrible, it's great! Nevermind that it's an interface feature, so not suitable for this contest... I'd like that feature to be implemented - would be something to look at as a little distraction when stuck :D
01-08-2014 at 12:43 AM
Nuntar
icon Re: The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (+1)  
Submissions are now closed. I am preparing the voting topic.

01-08-2014 at 02:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Other Ten Per Cent Is Crud (Feature request contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com