Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where Has DiMono Been? (I've been suspiciously absent; what have I been up to?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged

File: Unseen - Chapter 1.pdf (56.5 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Where Has DiMono Been? (0)  
Hey! Long time no interact. I kind of vanished after a round of GEB contributions and DROD Flash testing, and even though it seems to happen so frequently, it always feels weird being away from here for an extended period of time. This was one of my first homes on the Internet, and it's always going to have a prominent spot in my bookmarks bar.

But you didn't come here to see me wax poetic about the Caravel forums, you came here to find out what happened to me lo these many months. Well, I'll tell you: I've been writing a horror novel. Right now I have a completed first draft, which you can read online over here. That's the entire first draft of the novel in 89 pieces. I'm very excited about it, because it's the first time I've actually sat down and committed myself to writing one of my story ideas from start to finish. It's about 280 manuscript pages, and just over 77,000 words.

Unfortunately, because I wrote it essentially in episodic format, it currently works better as a set of journal entries than it does as a novel. If I'm ever going to get it published, I need to spend about 2 months editing it full time - 2 months I don't have right now. As such, I've turned to crowd funding on Indiegogo.com, which is like Kickstarter except it allows non-American projects and you can use PayPal or a credit card. I would like to encourage everyone here to read at least the beginning of the book (the first chapter is attached to this post), and if you like what you see, to please consider donating and spreading the word. The campaign is right here, and will run until July 15.

I can't wait until I'm able to return to this community to the extent that I want to be here. Unfortunately, it's all a matter of time.

06-16-2012 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Where Has DiMono Been? (0)  
Glad to see you again, DiMono, and for sharing your creation with us! I'm looking forward to reading this first part you've attached here. Good luck with your project!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-16-2012 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I personally clicked this thread to see you wax poetic about the CNet forums, and now I'm vaguely disappointed.
06-17-2012 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Banjooie wrote:
I personally clicked this thread to see you wax poetic about the CNet forums, and now I'm vaguely disappointed.
If you think it'll help, I can...

06-17-2012 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I think it is totally too late now.
06-17-2012 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Banjooie wrote:
I think it is totally too late now.
Would it help if I said that I've decided to give $1,000 to Child's Play if I'm fully funded by July 4? I just put this up as an update on the project:

I know I said yesterday that I'm okay with it taking a little while to get going, but I'm starting to get antsy. To that end, I've adjusted some of the perks to something I think is a little more reasonable, lowering the prices on the signed and personalized books and adding digital and physical copies to some of the higher-end ones.

I've also decided that I'd rather get more contributions early than late, so I'm going to add an overall incentive for people to contribute early: if I reach the full $6,000 by Noon Eastern Time on July 4, which is 15 days minus 11 hours from now as I write this, I will give $1,000 to Child's Play at RTX the following weekend. So you won't just be helping me edit and publish a book any more, you'll actually be helping to put games and toys in the hands of children who need them.

So now, not only is there incentive for you to pledge, but there's incentive for me to get where I'm trying to go more quickly. Let's see if we can help out charity, shall we?

06-20-2012 at 04:24 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'm not really familiar with this model of writing a book.

Wouldn't it make sense to send publishers what you've got first and see if they're interested in turning it into a book, rather than spending a further 2 months working on it and taking people's money for something that might not ultimately get published?

Of course, donating to charity is laudable, but I don't see how that fits with the whole book thing.

06-20-2012 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Jacob wrote:
I'm not really familiar with this model of writing a book.

Wouldn't it make sense to send publishers what you've got first and see if they're interested in turning it into a book, rather than spending a further 2 months working on it and taking people's money for something that might not ultimately get published?
If I can't interest an agent, I'm going to use an independent publisher. So either way, it's going to be published. I'd just rather send the publishers/agents a finished book, so they know there isn't going to be a 2-3 month waiting period before they can do anything with it.

Of course, donating to charity is laudable, but I don't see how that fits with the whole book thing.
It turns out my expenses are going to be lower than I thought, which means my goal amount is now more than I actually need. Giving it to charity is a worthwhile place for the extra to go, and (I hope) might help bring in more pledges if people see that some of the money is going to charity.

What I don't get (without accusing anyone) is why my post you're replying to got a negmod. That just confuses me.

06-20-2012 at 02:53 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I've read the chapter you attached in your first post, and it was a fun read! I don't have quite enough time to commit to reading the full book right now, but maybe in the future when my schedule clears up a bit.
06-20-2012 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
slimm tom wrote:
I've read the chapter you attached in your first post, and it was a fun read! I don't have quite enough time to commit to reading the full book right now, but maybe in the future when my schedule clears up a bit.
Awesome, I'm glad you like it! It's about 280 pages, and I look forward to your thoughts when you get through it.

06-21-2012 at 04:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where Has DiMono Been? (I've been suspiciously absent; what have I been up to?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com