Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Pair of Eyes Crossed (Level 1: Escape from the Cubicle)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
delphizealot
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged

File: Pair of Eyes Crossed.drh (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Pair of Eyes Crossed (+1)  
I was having a lot of fun getting reacquainted with DROD, so I decided to put together an RPG hold. This first level is fairly simple and has no scripting to speak of, but it was fun to make and hopefully fun to play.

If you (and I) can escape from the cubicle, the next planned adventure is through the twisting hallways of backstabbing cowor...err, goblins.

[Last edited by delphizealot at 10-22-2009 03:08 AM : Updated hold]
10-18-2009 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: Pair of Eyes Crossed (0)  
Finished the level. Quite nice. Note that you can skip the defence plate in 1S1E, and so pick up all the gems in the room (which I would, if only I had more greckles...) Also in 2N, you only need to lose 20 greckles on the spider path, by unlocking, locking and doorwalking. Although you might have to get the rest of the doors later.
My stats are:
Click here to view the secret text

10-18-2009 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
delphizealot
Wow, that was fast. For reference, I've attached the best I've done so far.

10-19-2009 at 12:02 AM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
Finished the level.

A good bite-sized level with some good choices and attention paid to design. The small size of the level makes it imperative to spend the limited resources wisely. I like this, and think that similarly-sized levels should be used for any subsequent levels tacked on.

Here's my statistics just before using the stairs:

Good work! This level stands pretty well on its own, but I think is a bit small for an actual hold.

10-19-2009 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Why is everybody getting much better stats than me :(
10-19-2009 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
No idea -- maybe they solved the secret room, which seems to me to be impossible to get any bonuses from?

My ending stats were

I enjoyed the level, and particularly thought the scrolls were a nice touch.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-19-2009 11:01 PM]
10-19-2009 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
delphizealot
I'm glad the secret room wasn't too easy. There are a few different ways to complete it with varying rewards, depending on what stats you're after and whether you want to trade off any HP. I'm also happy to see that people are ending the level in varying states, as that gives me some fun choices to present in the next level...
10-19-2009 at 11:37 PM
delphizealot
Quick side question: does anybody know of a way to rename all Goblins in a level to "Coworker"?
10-20-2009 at 03:51 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Nuntar wrote:
No idea -- maybe they solved the secret room, which seems to me to be impossible to get any bonuses from?
:huh
I was able to grab three ATK and two DEF power-ups along with a small health potion.

My ending stats were:

I really enjoyed this level.
:)
10-20-2009 at 06:20 AM
Nuntar
delphizealot wrote:
Quick side question: does anybody know of a way to rename all Goblins in a level to "Coworker"?
The only way is to create a custom character. Instructions for this are found here; replace the given script (for the Foil sword) with a script setting the Coworker's stats. If you just want a name change, set _MyHP, _MyATK, _MyDEF, _MyGR and _MyREP to be exactly the same as the Goblin's stats; or you could use the opportunity to make a custom monster. (If so, consider also using _MyColor to make it appear different from the standard goblin.)

Goblins have these behaviours: Face target, attack in front when back turned, goblin weakness. Players will expect a custom character based on the goblin to have the same behaviours.

10-20-2009 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
delphizealot
Thanks Nuntar, that should be perfect. I want the coworkers to be strong enough in HP that they'll be very difficult to defeat for most of the next level, but with occasional exposure to backstabbing being a necessary concession for various decisions. I like these indirect attacks, as they reward developing the often neglected DEF stat. Being able to adjust the stats should make it easier to strike the right balance. If I'm ending the level with too much HP, I can crank up the coworker ATK... :evil:
10-20-2009 at 03:00 PM
delphizealot

File: Pair of Eyes Crossed.drh (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Pair of Eyes Crossed (+2)  
I've finished the second level and added a (small bit) more storyline. This should be a tad tougher than the first level.

EDIT:

I fixed the problem with the stairs; I never actually tried to backtrack during my testing. :facepalm:

[Last edited by delphizealot at 10-22-2009 03:02 AM : Bug fix]
10-22-2009 at 12:14 AM
Nuntar
icon Re: Pair of Eyes Crossed (+1)  
The skip option shouldn't be necessary; it's possible to continue playing the new version from a save made in the old one.

The new level looks interesting, but difficult. The stairs in the Entrance are set to "End hold" instead of backtracking to Level 1 as I assume was intended, so I was unable to complete the level as I could not backtrack to make the last yellow key for HP exchange.

Your Coworkers are currently set to Citizen 1 appearance -- that's okay if it's what you want, I had just expected you to choose Goblin. You can omit "Turn into monster" from the script; what this command does is make the NPC ignore its script and behave like a normal monster of its type. (There is no command for making an NPC be a custom monster; if it has nonzero HP, it is treated as a monster anyway.)

10-22-2009 at 12:56 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Pair of Eyes Crossed (Level 1: Escape from the Cubicle)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com