Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ramps
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Ramps (0)  
Not high enough for walls.

High enough to get onto a door and to stand on /non-cuttable tarstuff/.

Stepping onto cuttable tarstuff causes you to fall through, breaking the piece. It is assumed that inner pieces of tarstuff are never breakable.

I'm not sure whether you'd want to be able to kill the mother while standing on tarstuff.
10-24-2008 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: Ramps (0)  
But you can only doorwalk in the first place in DROD:RPG, right? Or was it added in TCB too?
10-24-2008 at 11:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
Not high enough for walls.

High enough to get onto a door and to stand on /non-cuttable tarstuff/.

Stepping onto cuttable tarstuff causes you to fall through, breaking the piece. It is assumed that inner pieces of tarstuff are never breakable.

I'm not sure whether you'd want to be able to kill the mother while standing on tarstuff.

So... can you drop back down anywhere you want without help of a ramp? Can you kill monsters, strike orbs, and cut cuttable tarstuff while you're up high?

Also: "I'm walking on serpents, wooah! I'm walking on serpents, and don't it feel good!"

10-24-2008 at 11:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Could you travel with a serpent?
10-24-2008 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
Mechadragon wrote:
But you can only doorwalk in the first place in DROD:RPG, right? Or was it added in TCB too?
You've always been able to get up on a door if it closed while you were on it, but you couldn't walk from one door square to another door square until RPG.

That points out one difficulty with this idea. Since you can already get up on some doors, but you can't move around on top of them, this ramp could cause some confusion if it were to allow you to walk around on the doors: If you are on a door that closed, you can't walk around, but if you get up through the use of a ramp, you can?

Walking around on tarstuff is something not currently available and would not cause that kind of confusion, since this'd be the only way that would ever happen. But would tarstuff be allowed to grow over top of the ramps? If they're one square wide, timing would then become an issue. You have to wait for the tarstuff to grow up to the ramp then make your way to the ramp and onto the tarstuff before it grows again to cover the ramp. And since it only allows you to get on where it is uncutable, it's possible it could still be uncutable in that area after growing and you might unable to cut the tarstuff back down to reach the ramp for a while.

I would say that, while on tarsruff, you can't kill any ground-level animals. Raith Wings and Seep are fine. Roaches are out. Maybe you could hit Rock Giants but Golems are too short.

I'm still not too sure how much this opens up in the way of puzzles, though.

I'm assuming monsters would be unable to use the ramps? Because that would be a little weird if, all of a sudden, swarms of roaches and goblins start running around on top of tar and mud.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 10-24-2008 06:53 PM]
10-24-2008 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I say that you shouldn't be allowed to move on top of doors. It would be really confusing and inconsistent. You could have some "door-walk token" or something similar, but in the absence of that, no.

I think it would be interesting if you could walk on top of and travel with long monsters.

Would you be able to switch tarstuffs? As in, walk from a Mud tile to a Gel tile? Also, I believe that, since you can cut the smooth edges of tar, the inside of tar should be considered cuttable.

I'm indifferent wether or not monsters should be able to use ramps.
10-24-2008 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3630
icon Re: Ramps (+1)  
I'm not going to comment much on this idea yet, but I'd like to point out that when on top of a door (if it's been raised under you) it's currently already possible to stab any monster at all normally, despite being "elevated". Therefore a rule like "only able to stab rock giants, wraithwings, and seep while on doors or ramps" should not be implemented for the sake of consistency.

10-24-2008 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
If the inside of tar were cuttable, you'd have a hell of a time actually walking on the tar with a sword out, though.

Walking on serpents would be doable, I think, but I think you'd actually have to walk along them: that is, if a serpent were coiled, you couldn't jump along them. It'd sorta turn them into very specific left-right or up-down force arrows, which has a fair chunk of puzzle potential, honestly.

I assume you can drop back down of your own will, since you can already do this if you climb onto a door.

ARE doors higher than tarstuff? That gets a little perplexing.
10-25-2008 at 07:05 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
I doubt it, since there's no bump in tar that's grown over a closed door... :|

np: The Gasman - Non (Superlife)

10-25-2008 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Briareos wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
I doubt it, since there's no bump in tar that's grown over a closed door... :|

And yet, tarstuff does not grow over closed doors while they ARE closed and if it was higher you'd think it could.

Considering the form the spherical babies take, I'd guess that tarstuff is actually much higher near the middle than by the edges, in a kind of a domed shape, sort of like a drop of oil or water, and that near the center it'd be higher than doors, but the edges are relatively low and so it can't just flow over them.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 10-25-2008 01:46 PM]
10-25-2008 at 01:44 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Banjooie wrote:
If the inside of tar were cuttable, you'd have a hell of a time actually walking on the tar with a sword out, though.

I actually thought of that, but then you wouldn't be able to walk on the inside of tar at all, so it isn't that much of a deal.
10-25-2008 at 02:09 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
...The problem of whether or not to allow walking on closed doors with ramps is solved easily: Only allow it if the doorwalk token is present to make doors shorter than walls.

11-01-2008 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ramps
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No