Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Different Tar Growth
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged
icon Different Tar Growth (0)  
So far all the tarstuff grow the same. What about a new tarstuff with a different growth method. In particular one that grows only into squares connected orthogonally. A 2x2 blob would not grow into a 4x4 square, but grow into a small cross shape.
T = original tarstuff; G = growth area
 |G|G| 
-+-+-+-
G|T|T|G
-+-+-+-
G|T|T|G
-+-+-+-
 |G|G| 

10-01-2008 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Different Tar Growth (0)  
1) What would the tarstuff do? Where can you cut it, how long will it take for it to grow etc.?

2) Also, I think (not so sure though) that briar grows in that pattern.

10-01-2008 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
icon Re: Different Tar Growth (+1)  
I'll second the desire for an answer to 1). I can point out what 2) is, however.

Briar grows in that pattern in DROD: RPG, but not in regular DROD (where it follows similar expansion rules to tar, but without the provision of all cells necessarily being part of a 2x2 square) Nothing in DROD currently follows this pattern, and certainly not in a consistently-30-turn-per-spawn method.

10-01-2008 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
icon Re: Different Tar Growth (0)  
Expanded hypothesis:
The material was created in the early days of the empire through a fusion of tar and an exotic surface plant known as the Silmpurr. The material, as it is a fusion of tarstuff and surface life, was banned after being derogatorily dubbed "sludge".
1. The material can only be cut on the endpoints (corners and edges of the most outward layer) and is stable even at the one by one size (at which point it becomes uncuttable).
2. A two-by-two block of this substance, when cut, would become three one-by-one uncuttable blocks.
3. Due to the inability to completely remove it, architects decided not to incorporate its molecular structure into the tarstuff gate mechanism.
4. A sludge pipe is an indestructible obstacle that attaches to one of the edges of the sludge (for example, where S is stable sludge and P is the pipe:
S S S P
S S S
).
5. The sludge pipe would expand the sludge every sixty turns to every horizontally adjacent square (not diagonal, as said before).
6. Due to its lower surface tension, sludge CAN grow onto ortho squares and oremites, covering them up until cut.
7. Sludge will only grow outwards if attached at one point to the sludge pipe, and WILL expand into 1x1 projections if placed adjacent to a obstacle scenario comparable to one that would form indefinite streams of tar and mud babies. :rolleyes

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 10-01-2008 10:50 PM]
10-01-2008 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Different Tar Growth
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes