Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Artful Architecture (Ready to be tested)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+2)  
Jutt wrote:
Minimal Art: 1E – made the change I suggested before. I'd like to know if you think this fix improves the room or that I should stick with the old version.
That made the room quite a bit trickier for me. Now I have to use one of the first two aumtlich as a shield rather than as a door opener. Having to freeze an aumtlich on Beethro's sword in addition to leading it around the room made the puzzle more interesting.

Living Statues: 1S – quite a lot of changes in the wall configurations, making the room trickier than before. I hope that should take care of all unintended shortcuts.
I like the new room. This time I had to plan and set up in advance a much longer zig-zag route for the golem. I don't think it's possible to solve this room accidentally any more.

Tricolour Trial: 1N1E – added two doors restricting your movement to the serpent loop once you step on the first pressure plate. Quite a drastic measure, but the safest I could think of.
Thank you for doing that. I finally appreciate the genius of this room now that you've forced me to do it your way. When watching your demo before I hadn't fully understood the role of the mimic in making the adder's tail move faster.

I have left the secret room and 1N1W on Who Is Afraid untouched for now. Not only so that testers can still comment on the current situation, but also because I haven't found a decent way to reorganize these rooms.
I'm not nearly as artistic or as artful as you, but here's one idea.
* Change the current secret into a required room and move it down to 1N1W.
* Add some color to 2S1W by working some floating platforms into the decorative design. Make a couple squares of the southern wall crumbly.
* Vertically reflect the mud growing puzzle (that's currently in 1N1W), move it to 3S1W, and make it secret.

Dischorran wrote:
I've completed Living Statues (so it's probably easier than the preceding level).
I wonder if CuriousShyRabbit agrees on this point, in that case it may be worth switching the levels.
I'm neutral on that point. For me, Tricolor Trial was the big step up in difficulty. I didn't think Minimal Art and Living Statues were that different from each other. I will say that the puzzles in Living Statues are more consistent. In Minimal Art, I found some puzzles quite easy (for example Entrance, 1N) and others quite hard (for example 1E, 1S).
02-28-2008 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863

File: Leftover Levels beta01.hold (98.4 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+1)  
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
That made the room quite a bit trickier for me. Now I have to use one of the first two aumtlich as a shield rather than as a door opener. Having to freeze an aumtlich on Beethro's sword in addition to leading it around the room made the puzzle more interesting.
It seems you still have a different tactic, as my 'elegant' solution uses both aumtlich as shield. I think your solution is less optimal, and not trivial enough to be worth fixing.

I like your idea for the location of the secret room in Who Is Afraid. I'm not sure whether I'm going to use platforms for 2S1W though.
The order of the levels I'll leave as it is then. Somehow to me Minimal Art feels like a better first level. Maybe because Living statues requires more of a pencil and paper approach I don't find it that appropriate to start the hold with.

[Last edited by Jutt at 03-20-2011 09:12 PM]
02-28-2008 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+1)  
With respect to the latest changes:

For MA:1E, is there a reason not to preserve symmetry by placing potions on both pressure plates?

As much as I would have liked to break LS:1S, I wasn't able to. The room seems to work now.

As for the rest of the hold, it's really hard! I'll try to keep going with it in what time I have, but at this point it might not be worth holding this in testing while I grind through it.

02-29-2008 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
icon Re: Artful Architecture (0)  
For MA:1E, is there a reason not to preserve symmetry by placing potions on both pressure plates?
Yes, there is a reason. With a potion on the left pressuraplete, you could step on the right pp first. Then the middle left aumtlich' path will be blocked by the potion and the aumtlich will have to break eye contact when avoiding the obstacle. With the help of the wraithwing that's certainly causing unwanted solutions.

As for the rest of the hold, it's really hard! I'll try to keep going with it in what time I have, but at this point it might not be worth holding this in testing while I grind through it.
That's no problem. I wasn't planning to haste the release of this hold anyway. I'll probably release at least one more beta with changes regarding the secret room in Who Is Afraid. All in all it may take a while before I announce a final version and untill then you're welcome to keep commenting.

03-01-2008 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+2)  
So, here is what I hope to be the final beta version (see first post). For this version only some changes were made in the last level.
The previously secret room is now required and located at 1N1W. This required a small change of the room entrances in this room and in 1W. The required room which was previously located at 1N1W is now secrcet and can be reached from the level exit room. Therefore the exit has been redesigned (not with platforms though). The new secret room was rotated 180° and cleaned up a bit, which I'm quite happy about.

03-07-2008 at 11:28 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
The new version looks good. I've gone through Who Is Afraid again, and all the rooms still work as before. You've done a very nice job reorganizing the secret room. Did you want to put a scroll there? (It doesn't necessarily need a scroll, but I noticed the 3 other secret rooms have scrolls in them...)

It would be nice if one more person could play all the way through this hold. I don't always find all possible unintended solutions. However, I've tried to recruit additional testers with no luck. So, when you're ready, why not go ahead and submit this to HA. I'll vote YES straight away. :)

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 03-08-2008 12:00 AM]
03-07-2008 at 11:59 PM
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
For what it's worth, I've played through all the non-secret rooms in this hold save one (Tricolour 1N). I haven't found anything that I thought was a problem, other than issues that were already mentioned here.

But take note that a few of my solutions (Minimal 1E, Tricolour 1N) that I assumed were by design, probably were not, since later versions of the room were modified to prevent that solution.
03-08-2008 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
I've submitted the hold for HA review. Soon it will be available on the holds board. If anyone still finds major problems in this hold you can still post them and I'll discuss the matters with the HA.

Thanks to all the people who commented in this topic.

03-10-2008 at 07:03 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: AA Minimal Art 1N1W Victory.demo (903 bytes)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
By request, here is my crummy demo for Minimal Art 1N1W.
03-11-2008 at 08:47 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
Any help/demo for Who is Afraid:1W?

I can remove all the gel/tar outside the big box. I assume all I need to know is the # of spawns required and whether to leave tar or gel.
03-20-2008 at 05:02 PM
Jutt
For the blob inside the box you will need:
Click here to view the secret text

03-20-2008 at 05:10 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Artful Architecture (Ready to be tested)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com