Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do YOU go about solving rooms?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged
icon How do YOU go about solving rooms? (0)  
Just a late night thought. You enter a new room, what do you do? Launch in slashing and hacking leaving trails of blood and your own entrails trying to get to the other side. Do you stand quietly and wait, counting the number of squares to the first kill, plan carefully and then only move when you know exactly what you're going to do. Or go around exploring, find what every orb does and check round all the corners to see what happens.

Just trying to get a feel for different people's tactics. I know it depends on the style fo the room but you must have some gut feel for what you'd really like to do. I'm very much a slash and hack person, which is why I rarely get high scores as this is generally inefficient. It also means that if I come across a room I need to think about I retreat until I have time to work it out. What do other peole do?
01-16-2008 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon How does Chaco go about solving rooms? (0)  
When I first enter a room, I don't make any moves immediately.

The first thing I usually do is ask myself "What's the point of this room?"

If I can't figure out what the point of the room is (it's a terrible room or it's just hack-and-slash) I proceed to solving.

If not, then I usually do two things - work out what is going to happen (oh, that tar is going to spawn some babies if I'm not careful) (that serpent's going to block that passage if I don't get there in time) or try to figure out everything I can do in the room (blow up the gel blob, hold down the pressure plate with the guard)

Then I proceed to actually try to solve the room - where I try to figure out what the lynchpin is and how I can successfully execute the solution.

(As you can tell, I like playing puzzle rooms a lot more than hack-and-slash rooms.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-16-2008 11:34 PM]
01-16-2008 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: How do YOU go about solving rooms? (0)  
When I first enter a room, unless it really sticks out as being interesting or being easy, I'll usually take a quick glance at it then go on to the next room in the level until I've explored as much as I can. That way I know which rooms look fun, and which entrances I'm likely to be able to attack them from, and I pick the one that interests me most to do first.

Once I actually get down to solving, I'll try to click on orbs and pressure plates and see if there's anything I'll need to do first, then I'll do a few dry runs where I watch what monsters are likely to do, play around with elements, and if it isn't going how I want, I'll just restart.

Once I understand at least most of whats happening I'll do a serious run, and since I've already investigated, I'll try to focus on completing each objective and moving on to the next in as few moves as possible.

01-16-2008 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I tend to:

a) Sense which entrance would be best.

b) See if there's any tar or mud and if so, if it's possible to enter from behind a green door.

c) Just go for it.

That's it.

I rarely analyse a room first as I think playing the room helps me get the feel of the room better. Also, as I've played a while, I do tend to detect lynchpin solutions pretty quickly. There are obvious exceptions depending on the architect.

This strategy does mean I end up playing each room 3 or 4 times on average though.
01-17-2008 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I just go fight something until I get stuck, then look at why I'm stuck
01-17-2008 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
That's exactly what I do.

01-17-2008 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stoney
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
I usually move in Trial&Error Style to find out puzzle traps and logic twisters the Designer of the room had set up for me. Then i will try to solve those one after another.
03-25-2008 at 06:42 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I didnt actually got across any hard rooms. All holds i had were easy or impossible. (Except for official holds,that is, but i havent played them for while)
03-26-2008 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stoney
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Well i consider myself a newbie. At the Moment i try to get my way through "JtRH" and there are some really nasty rooms which took me quite some time to get past. I am sure Level 8 out of 25 awaits me with some even meaner ones.

I havent played much of those custom holds yet, as i wanna get through an official game hold first. :)

[Last edited by Stoney at 03-26-2008 12:13 PM]
03-26-2008 at 11:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do YOU go about solving rooms?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com