Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Hold (Thread for uploading to HA process)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged

File: Chacos Hold.hold (56.2 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Chaco's Hold (0)  
Final beta version, hurrah.

Now to upload to HA process.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-03-2007 10:32 PM]
03-03-2007 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Chaco's Hold (0)  
Here are 2 unintended demos.

[ Edit: removed to save space. ]

[Last edited by Tim at 03-05-2007 08:49 PM]
03-04-2007 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Anson
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Tim wrote:
Here are 2 unintended demos.
\
Where do you put demos? :(

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

03-04-2007 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I love the concept of "unintended demos". You know, "I was playing through this room and hit F4 completely by accident..."
03-04-2007 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Tahnan wrote:
I love the concept of "unintended demos". You know, "I was playing through this room and hit F4 completely by accident..."
Well, pressing F4 was intended, but playing was not. If you want to read through 10 pages of the original thread in Architecture, you'll understand. ;)

03-04-2007 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
I shall look at the demos and see where it was that I went horribly wrong. Thanks, Tim.

03-04-2007 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: CH Level III Potions and Orthosquares 4N1W intended.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Okay:

Congratulations Tim, you found the intended solution to Once East, this is almost exactly how I do it.

The purpose of that room is to introduce the player to "don't kill the roaches" so they can handle 1S2E (which is not so much of a room as a "wow, cool" thing.

However, your 4N1W demo is very concerning, since it takes away from the entire point of the room, in my opinion. Here is a demo of my intended solution to the room, which I shall now attempt to enforce.

03-04-2007 at 10:21 PM
Chaco

File: CH Level III Potions and Orthosquares 4N1W problem.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
And, this is what ought to happen if you don't wait a turn before taking that invisibility potion.

03-04-2007 at 10:21 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
Congratulations Tim, you found the intended solution to Once East, this is almost exactly how I do it.

The purpose of that room is to introduce the player to "don't kill the roaches" so they can handle 1S2E (which is not so much of a room as a "wow, cool" thing.
Except that I send you the demo of "kill the roaches first, ask question later". I did, didn't I? Anyway, it is possible to kill the roaches first.

And I like your intended demo of 4N1W.
03-04-2007 at 10:43 PM
Chaco
The demos2 archive only contains a Level 3 4N1W victory demo and a level 4 1E victory demo, so yeah, I'd like to see how you managed Level 4 1S2E without saving all the roaches.

03-04-2007 at 11:12 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
The demos2 archive only contains a Level 3 4N1W victory demo and a level 4 1E victory demo, so yeah, I'd like to see how you managed Level 4 1S2E without saving all the roaches.
I mean I can do L4 1E without saving all the roaches. ;)

[Last edited by Tim at 03-04-2007 11:20 PM]
03-04-2007 at 11:14 PM
Chaco
Your demo has you blowing up the bombs in the lower part of the room, then killing the roach - which is the entire point of the room.

Can you kill the roach before blowing up the bombs? That would be an unintended solution for this room.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-04-2007 11:17 PM]
03-04-2007 at 11:17 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
Can you kill the roach before blowing up the bombs?
Yes.
And I think you've watched your own demo instead of mine.

About 1S2E: demo

[Last edited by Tim at 03-04-2007 11:24 PM]
03-04-2007 at 11:23 PM
Chaco

Okay, that's... not good.

I'll go see what you did for 1S2E though.

EDIT:

Ooh, ingenious! Luckily, I think I can figure an even better way to fix it.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-04-2007 11:33 PM]
03-04-2007 at 11:25 PM
Tim
Just to make sure: I finished 1E without blowing up the bombs. It's easy to fix. Just add some ortho squares.

03-04-2007 at 11:33 PM
Chaco
Yes, the "moving diagonally" bit was enough. I fixed it with some arrows pointing downwards.

I've also changed a mere two tiles to prevent any sort of shenanigans with regard to your unintended solution to 1S2E: I don't think it will work any more no matter how many roaches you save.

I'm still working on Level 3 4N1W; in the meantime a demo of your unintended solution for Level 5 2S1W (crumbly walls in large room of down-facing arrows) would be very nice.

03-04-2007 at 11:38 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
I'm still working on Level 3 4N1W; in the meantime a demo of your unintended solution for Level 5 2S1W (crumbly walls in large room of down-facing arrows) would be very nice.
Personally, I'd say 4N1W is hard enough already :)

As for L5, I haven't finished L4 (and I don't want to), so I can't reach that room anymore.

But let's say that your current setup allows you to point your sword south when you take the potion.

03-04-2007 at 11:47 PM
Chaco
Ah ha, and then you kill the roach after you go past the door.

Not too difficult to fix that one - added two bombs below the two orbs. If you hit them, the mimic is blown up and the door closes, but the roach is not blown up.

I'm now uploading a new version with all of the aforementioned fixed.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-04-2007 11:53 PM]
03-04-2007 at 11:50 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
Ah ha, and then you kill the roach after you go past the door.

Not too difficult to fix that one - added two bombs below the two orbs. If you hit them, the mimic is blown up and the door closes, but the roach is not blown up.
Before I forget, and I've just replayed the room.
It doesn't matter that much, since after you've passed the door, you can turn around and break every wall anyway :)

(And now I'm going to bed.)

[Last edited by Tim at 03-05-2007 12:48 AM]
03-05-2007 at 12:47 AM
Tim

File: 2 demos 2.zip (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
2 more demos if you're interested.

Nothing shocking, really, so if you skip them I don't mind. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 03-05-2007 08:50 PM]
03-05-2007 at 08:48 PM
Chaco
First one: Fine.

Second one: Definitely not fine; skips entire point of the room, which is to get all the crumbly walls on the first visit.

It's a pretty simple matter of moving the door, though, so I've done this.

03-05-2007 at 09:11 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Man I stink at spotting unintended solutions. Sorry I didn't catch a single on of these. :(
03-05-2007 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
One last thing: I want a demo of L2 secret room. (At this moment I'm really too lazy to do this last room ;))

Thanks in advance.

03-05-2007 at 09:56 PM
Chaco

File: CH Level II Doors and Arrows 1S3W Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 180 times.
Here you go. There's only so far that planning can take you in that room. However, I do think the solution is at least somewhat elegant.

03-06-2007 at 12:28 AM
Tim

File: CH Level VI Glop and Growth 1W Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
1. The demo attached is not that important (it's level 6 after all), but just for fun.

2. I was wondering whether you want to add some "Ending Text" in your hold.

3. About the seal, is it allowed to use something like that? (I better ask the other HAs.)

03-07-2007 at 11:04 AM
Chaco
Hrmph, that's definitely an unintended solution to Level 6 1W there. Ideally you're supposed to hit that orb up top and then prevent a tar baby from getting into the door-slot, however I can't find much of a way to enforce that the top tar-mother doors get closed that isn't too obvious.

So, I'll probably keep it as-is.

03-09-2007 at 02:42 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
L3: 2N2E, 2N3E unintended solutions?

03-09-2007 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
There's no 2N3E in that level - I assume you meant 2N1E and 2N2E?

If you did that using the most recent version on the board, I'd like to see a demo of that.

03-09-2007 at 03:58 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: CH Level III Potions and Orthosquares 2N1E Victory.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
I sure hope I am using the most recent version. Just redownloaded and DROD thought it was the same.

Here is the demo.
03-09-2007 at 11:27 PM
Chaco
That one's definitely not intended. However, I believe it could probably be fixed with a couple orthosquares.

EDIT:

Note to self: never say publicly what the room can be fixed with. It turns out the problem is much worse than it appears - there's no easy way to enforce that the player not just place a mimic right into the trapdoor passage and kill that roach, then do the rest of the room, and then use the last mimic to kill the last roach-pod.

It looks like if I blocked the mimic-spot with a roach that could then be removed, then it might work, but I'd have to redesign that part of the room in order to make the roach not just go into the arrow trap.

Were this not on Level 3, I could probably do something with a bomb, but.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-10-2007 12:00 AM]
03-09-2007 at 11:32 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Hold (Thread for uploading to HA process)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com