Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A Monster (I dreamed about it last night.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon A Monster (+1)  
I had a DROD related dream last night, in it a weird monster featured. Call it whatever you want, I can't think up a fitting name for it. It was kind of a cross between a wubba, a snake, and a goblin. It was a one space monster, and invulnerable to your sword. It also moved like a goblin, with one key difference, It would always keep moving. The way you killed it was trapping so that it couldn't mover for three straight turns, then it would pop.

Just wanted to share, I doubt it would make many new puzzles.
02-18-2007 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: A Monster (0)  
On the contrary, a 1 square monster that dies by making it immobile for a period of time could have plenty of potential.
02-18-2007 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
NiroZ's phrasing does give it promise, to me. I'm for some sort of monster that dies by immobilization...though maybe for either 1 or 5 turns, as 3 is not really used anywhere.

02-18-2007 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, five turns is a much more round number. I still don't know what to call it though.

Balloon?
Killer Wubba?
If worst comes to worst we can just call it something random and say that it was a natural monster of the Eighth.
02-18-2007 at 03:18 PM
zex20913
How about a Land Shark? Sharks have to move to breathe (they pass the water over their gills) so if they stop moving, they die. Plus, they're pretty much invincible.

02-18-2007 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
icon Re: A Monster (Land Shark) (0)  
That's a good one!

So my thought was that they move kind of like goblins, they calculate a value for each square, and move to the highest valued open square. They also are afraid of you sword like goblins, because, uh.... because it tickles! And they don't like tickling! If they get trapped, the gradually turn red from whatever color they are, until the pop in a shower of blood in five turns! Fun!
02-18-2007 at 03:36 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Does it attack you? Just to be certain, because that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet...

02-18-2007 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Jason wrote:
Does it attack you? Just to be certain, because that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet...

ya, that's what i was about to ask

02-18-2007 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
I would guess yes. Kind of pointless to have a killable thing that doesn't try to kill you.

02-18-2007 at 04:27 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I suggested something similar a long time ago, but this is better thought out.
My one question, is what if it was on the other side of a wall from Beethro, would it dance back and forth? Or would it decide to pick a direction and stick with it?
02-18-2007 at 04:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
zex20913 said a bit earlier:
Kind of pointless to have a killable thing that doesn't try to kill you.

Brains and crumbly walls, anyone?

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-18-2007 05:24 PM]
02-18-2007 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Chaco wrote:

Uh...brains send other things to kill you for them...and crumbly walls aren't alive, and thus not "killable". Phew

02-18-2007 at 06:28 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
zex20913 wrote:
Chaco wrote:

Uh...brains send other things to kill you for them...and crumbly walls aren't alive, and thus not "killable". Phew
Halph? Mimics? Decoys? :devil
02-18-2007 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
icon Re: A Monster (+1)  
Ah! Halph has no regard for his own safety, as can easily be shown in Halph Has a Bad Day. Since Beethro and Halph are connected via some sort of odd lifeline, Halph's blatant disregard for all things life-saving puts Beethro's life at risk, thus trying to kill him.

Mimics are just waiting...waiting for their day...the day when they revolt and destroy those who they currently only mock.

Plus, sometimes they stab you in the back. (Perhaps not an *active* attempt, but Beethro may not have control over the position of the mimic ingame.)

And decoys are murderous stinkbombs...who happen to have their shoes glued to the floor.

02-18-2007 at 07:08 PM
Ezlo
Ravon wrote:
My one question, is what if it was on the other side of a wall from Beethro, would it dance back and forth? Or would it decide to pick a direction and stick with it?

I think it would shimmy back and forth.If it went into a dead end to get to Beethro it would keep going up and down. It just tries to keep moving. Also it can kill you, and I think it will never, ever move onto your sword, even at the cost of it's life.
02-18-2007 at 11:10 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: A Monster (+1)  
It's just that Halph is in fact the source of all light in the entirety of the eighth. (Including retroactively.) When he dies, everything retroactively was always dark, which means that everything in the Eighth dies because, hey, plants.
02-19-2007 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Ezlo wrote:
Ravon wrote:

I think it would shimmy back and forth.If it went into a dead end to get to Beethro it would keep going up and down. It just tries to keep moving. Also it can kill you, and I think it will never, ever move onto your sword, even at the cost of it's life.
Moving onto a sword is impossible.

Banjooie wrote:
It's just that Halph is in fact the source of all light in the entirety of the eighth. (Including retroactively.) When he dies, everything retroactively was always dark, which means that everything in the Eighth dies because, hey, plants.
So that's why the monsters don't eat him.

02-21-2007 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
When I implemented DROD for mobile (that's a while ago now) at some point I made a mistake with the goblins: they forgot to stay where they are if that was the best position. So basically (except the kill part) I already played with this monster. It felt a little odd for a goblin, but it took me a while to notice the difference. So I think this will not be so different.
The idea, however, has potential. I would have it move "more" like a snake and "less" like a goblin. The way to calculate the most desired positions should be, well, different from the goblin strategy.
02-22-2007 at 09:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A Monster (I dreamed about it last night.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com