Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : New DROD Title Border (A new title screen that's in development)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon New DROD Title Border (0)  
I just thought. There aren't any new title screen borders out on the forum, so here's one that I'm making at the moment. Please comment.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 12-19-2006 11:38 AM]
12-19-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: New DROD Title Border (0)  
Once again, I think those corner images are probably under the same kind of protection as the Deep Spaces and Iceworks styles - no posting screenshots of them since they're owned by Caravel.

I will most definitely allow myself to be corrected, however.

12-19-2006 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I really don't think they would be, because they come with the demo of JtRH as well, and the demo of KDD. So if they give them away with the demo, then I think that means you can modify them. Plus they're in the bitmaps folder, so surely that means they are open for editing and viewing, no?

But I appreciate the concern. It's like when I posted that mod for Beethro's purple jumper.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 12-19-2006 08:50 PM]
12-19-2006 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: New DROD Title Border (+2)  
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I really don't think they would be, because they come with the demo of JtRH as well, and the demo of KDD. So if they give them away with the demo, then I think that means you can modify them.
This is a common misconception. Just because a party releases a work under a fairly permissive license does not mean that people are free to disregard what few terms are placed on them. As an aside, I wouldn't call how these graphics are released permissive. There's no grant of permission for derivative works. I think this is another case of confusion between releasing something free (no charge) and granting freedoms (permission or rights to perform some action).
Plus they're in the bitmaps folder, so surely that means they are open for editing and viewing, no?
Caravel may not have chosen to employ a technological protection measure (and it's a bit pointless to do so when your product is open-source), but that shouldn't erode their copyrights in their creative content.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-19-2006 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: New DROD Title Border (+1)  
if you download the source and read the readme.txt, it explicitly says, "No proprietary Caravel Games media (content) files are included.", but also says to see the "Licenses" subdirectory. If you follow into the Licenses directory and read the "Licensing Overview", it contradicts this and says:

"
ALL OTHER FILES (BITMAPS, AUDIO, GAME LEVELS, DOCUMENTATION)

All other DROD files (not source code or executables as defined by MPL) in the Caravel DROD distribution require permission to distribute. No license is granted here to distribute these files, which include but are not limited to: bitmaps, audio samples, game levels, help documentation, and descriptive text appearing on screens.
"

So the title graphics are under a "need permission to edit" agreement. (Which is confusing considering the readme doesn't say "some propietary content is included but only to make the bundle run," it says, "NO propietary content is included." But the Licenses directory is more explicit and binding).

[Last edited by silver at 12-20-2006 06:43 AM]
12-20-2006 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Whoa, yeah, I didn't even notice all that stuff was in the Data/ directories of the source zips. Never looked, since I thought all copyrighted stuff was excluded, not just the holds. It seems the readme.txt is inaccurate.
12-20-2006 at 03:01 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
silver wrote:
if you download the source and read the readme.txt, it explicitly says, "No proprietary Caravel Games media (content) files are included.", but also says to see the "Licenses" subdirectory. If you follow into the Licenses directory and read the "Licensing Overview", it contradicts this
Woah, thank you for mentioning this. You're right -- it should say that there is certain copyrighted material included to make this bundle run. I've fixed this and tweaked a couple other things for the readme in the 2.0.15 source package release.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-20-2006 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Although, it's also worthwhile to note that the sound files included ARE public domain, as Erik noted somewhere in the source code thread.
12-20-2006 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : New DROD Title Border (A new title screen that's in development)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com