Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Memorable Moments
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Memorable Moments (+2)  
I'm playing the new Zelda, and there's this sequence about 15 hours in which is really memorable.
Spoilers:
Click here to view the secret text

What memorable or emotional moments from games do you remember?

12-12-2006 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Memorable Moments (+1)  
Oooh, great topic. To name a few:

Grim Fandango: The end of part 1 animation and the ending are both among the most memorable moments I've had in computer games:

Legacy of the Ancients: Ok, this probably is more memorable because it was the first RPG I played to completion, but when I unlocked the pegasus and crossed to a whole new continent, with a whole new set of monsters and dungeons, it was really impressive.

Those are the two that came to mind first, which probably makes them count as "most memorable" - not necessarily the most affecting while I played, but certainly they stuck around a lot.

12-12-2006 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I always liked the fifth (I think) level of the original Sonic the Hedgehog game. It was the one in the Starfield with the see-saw levers. You had to land on one side of the lever, knocking some sort of mine up into the air and then run over to the other side of the see saw before the mine landed on your side and catapulted you up into the air and so on. It was (at least to me) a totally new game mechanic that worked well, and the music was really groovy as well.

Another moment in my gaming life that I'll never forget is getting to the top tier in Nintendo Tetris. At certain scores, you would get a little reward at the end of the game in which a rocket of somesort would launch off a pad near some Russian buildings. The higher your score, the bigger the rocket was. But if you scored high enough, you'd get a UFO looking thing sitting on the launch pad and the Russian buildings would take off into space instead.

12-12-2006 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
In Chrono Trigger, about halfway through *massive uber-spoiler below*

It's been years since I last played it, but I remember that scene very clearly. :~(

EDIT: Beating DROD:AE was very memorable too. It took me six months to finally finish, and that ending was excellent. (especially for something that you know not that many will see :P)

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 12-12-2006 03:12 PM]
12-12-2006 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
In Monkey Island II, in the scene when you first try to climb the tree and the wooden plank breaks and Guybrush falls and hits his head...

Finishing the three tar mothers room was quite memorable.

12-12-2006 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Mattcrampy wrote:
What memorable or emotional moments from games do you remember?
One from a cutscene in Grim Fandango:

The central gimmick in Spider and Web. Actually the one a few turns into the game as well, but the Big One overshadows it a bit.

12-12-2006 at 03:26 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Memorable Moments (0)  
Maurog wrote:
In Monkey Island II, in the scene when you first try to climb the tree and the wooden plank breaks and Guybrush falls and hits his head...

Oh, I second that. That certainly is a really great moment.

12-12-2006 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
One memorable scene was in a game called metal slug three right before the end.

Check this if you want to see for yourself.

12-12-2006 at 04:00 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Moments in games that really stick out for me, I have too many of them!

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Zelda: Wind Waker

Final Fantasy VI

Amerzone

Myst 4: Revelations

Tales of Symphonia

Super Metroid

Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion

12-12-2006 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
the moment that comes to mind immediately, when I think of "memorable moments" was at the end of disk 1 of FF VIII.

when they went from cd to dvd, they lost one of the cooler TV tricks: the "to be continued"/episode cliffhanger (yes, the next disk is riiight there, but they handled it beautifully in this case).

12-12-2006 at 09:01 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
The opening scene of Longest Journey, cutscenes included. I'm not quite sure why, though... I enjoyed the first few chapters of actual play pretty much, but I've felt the game kind of went downhill from then on.

I still have a very good memory of games like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate II and Arcanum chiefly because of their music. I suspect that's more like nostalgia at work than anything else, though. Arcanum probably takes the cake here... of course, I haven't finished any of these three games.

I'll second Spider & Web, with just a small modulo. Again, here be spoilers.

12-12-2006 at 09:27 PM
Znirk
Here's one from quite a while ago: Lemmings 3D, the level code entry screen where a bunch of classic-style lemming acrobats create lettershapes of what you type (a bit like human pyramids, only the result is a different shape and the elements are a different species).
12-12-2006 at 10:25 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453

[Last edited by tokyokid at 12-12-2006 10:48 PM]
12-12-2006 at 10:48 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
One of my memorable moments: from the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Master System II.

12-12-2006 at 11:57 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Finally beating the final dungeon of Ultima IV and really feeling like I accomplished something.

When you steal something in Ultima VII and the Guardian suddenly pops up and says "What do you think you are doing, Avatar?" That was scary but awesome at the same time.

In Ultima VII: Serpent Isle...

Grim Fandango is great too, the scene already discussed was definitely one of the best.

The end of Bionic Commando for the NES was pretty memorable to me.

The end of the original Castlevania with the extra bosses...was really surprising (and frustrating).

The second Ganon fight in Ocarina of Time.

I'm sure there are tons more but that's all I can think of right now.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-13-2006 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
hmmm, lets see
Meeting the slayer in JtRH

Playing through the Revolution level in Far Cry

Running away in the tunnels from the big alien dudes in Half Life:  Opposing Force.

The third trip to UNACO in Deus Ex

The Russian levels in Call of Duty

The 3 headed monkey in secret of monkey island

Sword fighting in secret of monkey island.

killing 5 guys in CS:S by blind firing into the doors over the other side of the map from the terrorist spawn, in Dust 2.

The level in Half Life where there is a constant supply of grenades being lobbed down a tunnel. I left that for a whole day and they where still going.

The versa-life facility in Deus Ex

Countless instagib bot-matches in UT2004

The parachuting level in No One Lives Forever

Co-op starcraft with my brothers.

Killing the opera singer dressed as a viking in No One Lives Forever.(forget her name)

^and thats only a quick brainstorm.
12-13-2006 at 01:29 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I completely forgot about Super Metroid. That boss fight was incredible.

The end of the demo for Darwinia was pretty special:

12-13-2006 at 01:43 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Quite simply...

I was 14, and owned an Atari STe 1024.

I saw a loading screen on a PC for some game which looked like fun. I waited, and waited. I waited some more. Nice splash screen though. Looks almost like a real swimming pool... and those columns. Impressive. Must have taken the artist *ages* to draw that scene. Waited some more. And some more.

I lost patience. I hit the keyboard.

The game *was* loaded, and the arrow keys *were* the artist. Within a month I'd saved up to build my first PC, and within 6 weeks *I* was the artist and Doom was the game.

My career started that day.
12-13-2006 at 01:51 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I have several memorable moments.

1. Wind Waker:

2. Metal Gear Solid:

3. Link's Awakening:

4. We <3 Katamari:

5. Mystery Video Game Theatre 3000. If you know what this is for movies, you know what this is for video games. My roommates and I came up with the idea, and I had major connections with the campus TV station, so we got 6 shows done--one per week, because it was at the very end of the semester. Nowhere else would I have ever chosen to play Superman 64. Or Lawnmower Man. Or Back to the Future. Or Piglet's Big Adventure. But the concept made it great, and the comedy and good times made it worth it.

12-13-2006 at 02:17 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
OOOOH! That reminds me! The ending of Metal Gear Solid 3! So, so, heartbreaking. The only game I almost came close to crying during.
12-13-2006 at 03:02 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
One memorable moment for me was memorable in a different way. I was playing Metroid Prime, and the final boss was the first time I ever really noticed how much adrenaline I was getting. Not joking, I could actually feel each pump through my arms. Definitely memorable.
12-13-2006 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
The storehouse incident in Cave Story was very memorable. Also, when not attempting the redemption ending, beating the core underwater is pretty dramatic too.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-13-2006 at 08:04 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
While we're at it, getting to the third ending in that game is also very memorable (if extremely tricky)

12-13-2006 at 11:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, in The Last Express there is this scene when you wait till everyone go to a concert and then sneak out and steal a very important briefcase...

12-13-2006 at 11:52 AM
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Syntax wroteThe game *was* loaded, and the arrow keys *were* the artist. Within a month I'd saved up to build my first PC, and within 6 weeks *I* was the artist and Doom was the game.
I don't understand a word. You made Doom? Are you Carmack?

12-13-2006 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
lakibuk wrote:
Syntax wroteThe game *was* loaded, and the arrow keys *were* the artist. Within a month I'd saved up to build my first PC, and within 6 weeks *I* was the artist and Doom was the game.
I don't understand a word. You made Doom? Are you Carmack?
Well, he only found out about Doom when it was already available in shops ... do you believe in preincarnation?

See, there's this computer in a shop, running Doom because it's Teh Shiny for the state of the technology. The idea is that seeing it will make people want to buy it. Allow Syntax to demonstrate.

He walks in and sees the screen showing the game. The picture isn't moving, because nobody is playing. From his experience with computer games he thinks it's just a loading screen, a static picture not taken from the game itself but rather with the function of a book cover illustration: designed to set the mood before the game begins and the beeping heaps of pixels take the stage. In fact he likes the picture and mentally commends the artist who made it.

Then he finds out that there is no artist in the sense that he thought. The nice picture is not just an "imagine the green blob looks like this" aid, but a view of the actual game. As soon as he can he buys the computer and the software, a course of action which enables him to crank out 15 pictures per second in that style. This makes him the imaginary artist who made the nice picture he saw. It doesn't mean he was involved in creating the tools.

... at least that's what I think he said. But then it's half past eleven here.

[Last edited by Znirk at 12-13-2006 10:31 PM]
12-13-2006 at 10:31 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Wow... nicely put :) Yes, that probably describes better than I did though I was going for suspense. Obviously not very good at that tho ;)

Only thing is this was not a shop I walked in to, but the shop at which I worked. I started there with the premise of "Atari's are great". I left with the premise of "One day I'll make it to London and work as a coder on PCs". I've never since switched my Atari on again.
12-14-2006 at 12:44 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ezlo wrote:
Amerzone
Oh man, I've played this game! Found it in a bargain bin in some random store some years ago. It cost the equivalent of $1 or something, which I guess should've been a hint, but at least I didn't ruin myself on it ;). I thought it was this nice big adventure game, since the box looked somewhat interesting and it was four CDs. Little did I know that each CD lasted about 5 minutes, if that. I remember swapping discs like crazy so the game could proceed with its thin plot, all the time exchanging snide and sarcastic remarks with someone else playing the game simultaneously on another computer in the same room. So yes, certainly a memorable experience :)

~ Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 12-15-2006 05:08 PM]
12-15-2006 at 04:43 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Well, if there's somebody you don't quite like, that'll make a fine Chrismas gift. If you feel meaner, there's a bundle "Amerzon and the two Syberia" on sale around here. As an added bonus, all three games will be in French! Perfect for people who can't stand French grammar.
12-15-2006 at 04:51 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I think a lump of coal might be preferable. Lots of good times to be had with a lump of coal!

Anyway, I thought Syberia was supposed to be good ? Haven't played it, though. (Also, I'm pretty sure the Amerzone I played was actually in english. Er. I think).

~ Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 12-15-2006 05:15 PM]
12-15-2006 at 05:13 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Memorable Moments
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com