Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All (+2)  
Which game had a villian so vile, so despicable, so (insert adjective here.) that you actually came to hate him/her. Not just want the good guys to win and everyone to be happy, but felt like you had a personal grudge against the villian and wanted him/her to die so bad you would do it yourself.

Mine would have to be Kefka from Final Fantasy Six. Not only did he poison a whole castle against orders, not only did he kill General Leo, not only did he shove his own Emporer off a cliff after striking him down. But he suceeded in his plans, took over the world, and ruled the land with his "Light of Judgement" from atop his fortress made out of scrap metal from the cities he destroyed. Plus his laugh ticks me off. Sephiroth is nothing compared to this guy.

And while were at it, how about Villian You Felt the Sorriest For. Mine would have to be Ganondorf from The Wind Waker. All he wanted has for his land to prosper. Deep down inside at least. :~(
06-29-2006 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All (+1)  
Hey, interesting topic. Let's see...the villian I hated the most in a game would probably be The Guardian from Ultima VII through IX. Although you only really get to hate him in VII and VII Part 2...he isn't as much of a punk later on. But in U7 he very insidiously subverts the world against the hero, and he also talks to you. It was really cool...one of the first games to feature voice acting...and The Guardian would talk to you in your head as you played the game, trying to get you to feel guilty, or do the wrong thing, all sorts of stuff. Really well done.

And the one I feel most sorry for...well, hmm. I guess I'm in an Ultima mood tonight, because I'll pick Blackthorn from Ultima V. The reason I'm picking him is because from technically nothing was his fault. He was corrupted by the Shadowlords, beings immensely more powerful than him, that he didn't even bring about on his own...they just appeared and took him over. And then he didn't even get to die an honorable death...he was exiled to a random world. However, I'm not sure if he is really considered a villian because the main bad guys in that game were the Shadowlords themselves, of course.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-29-2006 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All (0)  
I found Kefka kind of funny in the beginning, but very soon, I started to hate him.
I agree, Sephiroth is overrated. He's not even quotable.

Anyway, I can't bring myself to any conclusion other than Kefka.
Best Kefka quote:
Click here to view the secret text

06-29-2006 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I can't honestly really answer my most hated villain. Maybe Mithos... he was cruel. But I think that my villan I feel most sorry for would actually be 49th Slayer. He didn't really have a will of his own, then right at the end. "Oh."

And for funniest villan, I think Pinnacle has that one nailed already.

Disclaimer: I haven't played FFVI, so I can't relate.
06-29-2006 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
You know, I do kind of agree. I do feel sorry for the 39th slayer.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-29-2006 01:55 PM : 39th not 49th.]
06-29-2006 at 04:42 AM
Oneiromancer
Isn't he the 39th Slayer? Maybe the 49th one is even more pitiable, but I don't know how you guys would know about him...;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-29-2006 at 04:47 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Mike's been giving us spoilers. Duh.

But totally Kefka. I mean, he's one of the few villains who /actually destroyed the world/.
06-29-2006 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The villian I feel sorriest for is the one from Final Fantasy 9. He wears a coat and a thong. His treatment at the hands of the costume designer is simply cruel - in fact, I'm kind of worried about the villains in the PSX Final Fantasy games - they've been kind of whiny pretty boys compared to Kefka, and Kefka literally dressed like a clown.

There hasn't been any villians in games I've really hated - mostly, they're from books. There's some real bastards in books.

Best villain, though, has to be Fawful from Superstar Saga. That guy was awesome.

06-29-2006 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, Fawful is the best villian I have ever seen. I hope he makes a comeback.
06-29-2006 at 02:26 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
In Partners In Time, Fawful said something about returning.

Possible spoiler
Click here to view the secret text

06-29-2006 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, I remember that, but will it really happen? That's the point.
06-29-2006 at 06:28 PM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Do you guys remember Space Ace? I don't remember the villans name, but he is quite a bad guy.
06-29-2006 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
bradwall wrote:
Do you guys remember Space Ace? I don't remember the villans name, but he is quite a bad guy.
Yeah! Commander Borf

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-29-2006 at 09:35 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Hmmm..... despite my temptation to ignore the 'game' part and just go with Cersei and Joffrey Lannister, I'm gonna go for Albedo as most hated. The whole sadism toward children (sort of)thing and general creepiness really tipped the balance for me.

Most pitiable (once you understand how he got how he is, anyway), but still VERY high on the hatability list too, is Seymour from FFX.

Heh, hard to write these so people who played will see my point but there aren't any spoilers for those who don't.

06-29-2006 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
What game is Albedo from?

Also, in my opinion, A Feast For Crows revealed Cersei to just be a monumental idiot, and not even as evil as Joffrey.

Game on,

06-29-2006 at 10:46 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Oneiromancer wrote:
What game is Albedo from?

He's from the Xenosaga series. I've still only played the first one, so I don't know how he develops later, but even just the first episode is more than enough to get a good strong hate going.

06-30-2006 at 01:22 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Generally, I find the most hateable villains to be world-striding powerful people who find it in their hearts to kick the little guy when he's down. They don't even have to be doing anything evil, the thousand shallow cuts gets me angry so much more than the big evil plot.

06-30-2006 at 07:08 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I personally didn't like being misled, used, and then continuously insulted by the AI in System Shock 2.

06-30-2006 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I really couldn't stand the.... The Avatar from Dungeon Keeper, hr hrr hrr.

Ok, so I know I linked it before, but this thread just BEGS for Evil Guide . Classic.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 06-30-2006 07:49 PM]
06-30-2006 at 07:46 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Don't forget the Evil Overlord list too!

I dunno, I haven't played enough games with villains. Too many either just have a disorganized force of stupid little enemies, or other players as villains.

I have to agree, Beethro might have found a way to save 39th had there been a second spot.

07-01-2006 at 01:33 AM
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All (+4)  
Worst villain is easy. Back in the day, I had been playing a game for several hours on my computer and hadn't saved. Somewhere on the floor, a breaker pops -- not mine, so I didn't know anything had happened. But this evil, despicable lowlife cretinous mass of indigestable protoplasm lost his power. He went to the panel and started flipping off, then back on, every breaker to find out which one had blown.

My power went down, and I lost several hours of long, hard-fought progress through a very tricky part of the game. I went storming out of my room and found the guy standing there. "What's wrong?" he asked, the "Vacancy" light flashing above his blank-window eyes.

The useless sack of meat was lucky to escape with his life.
07-01-2006 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Most Hate-able Villian of Them All
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com