Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tiny Jokes Discussion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
IP: Logged
icon Tiny Jokes Discussion (+2)  
As someone (probably Eric H) has locked the topic with the Tiny Jokes Poll in it I thought it was a good idea to start a topic so we can discuss the Tiny Jokes.
06-23-2006 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Tiny Jokes Discussion (0)  
Mouse wrote:
As someone (probably Eric H) has locked the topic with the Tiny Jokes Poll in it I thought it was a good idea to start a topic so we can discuss the Tiny Jokes.

I suspect there is a reason he locked it.
06-23-2006 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, he said that discussion is allowed and that he locked it to prevent people changing their entries while he was making the poll, so I think this thread is fine.

06-23-2006 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
Of the clever ones, #2 ("Strive") is the most subtle... so look harder (and get it) before you judge. I voted it too low in hindsight.
06-23-2006 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Well, I so don't get entry 2.

I don't know if it matters, but DiMono's third entry is labelled as DiMono #1, and Pilchard VII's second entry is another Pilchard VII #1 .
06-23-2006 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Sergenth wrote:
Of the clever ones, #2 ("Strive") is the most subtle... so look harder (and get it) before you judge. I voted it too low in hindsight.

Oh, I don't know. In a competition between 40+ entries, I'd think that being so subtle you really need to put an effort into it may well be viewed as a negative thing. I gave entry #2 a high rating, but I think that if it's truely the case that a lot of people just don't get it without having to conciously stop and get it, it shouldn't win.

06-23-2006 at 11:23 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Tiny Jokes Discussion (+2)  
eytanz wrote:
Oh, I don't know. In a competition between 40+ entries, I'd think that being so subtle you really need to put an effort into it may well be viewed as a negative thing.

Erik wrote in the rules and recommendations post, "A subtle joke that takes a few moments to get is what I really like." (which may or may not be relevant to any one else's judging, except that telling someone something may be a negative quality when the contest owner stressed it as a positive quality is a tad confusing)

[Last edited by silver at 06-23-2006 12:55 PM]
06-23-2006 at 12:44 PM
eytanz
silver wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Oh, I don't know. In a competition between 40+ entries, I'd think that being so subtle you really need to put an effort into it may well be viewed as a negative thing.

Erik wrote in the rules and recommendations post, "A subtle joke that takes a few moments to get is what I really like." (which may or may not be relevant to any one else's judging, except that telling someone something may be a negative quality when the contest owner stressed it as a positive quality is a tad confusing)

No; what I was saying is that I'm taking Erik statement about ""A subtle joke that takes a few moments to get" seriously. The jokes it took me a few moments to get got 9s or 10s. The ones that took more than that I gave lower marks.

06-23-2006 at 01:19 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Bah. I never liked art anyway because I can't draw. :?

06-23-2006 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I voted the highest for #13 by TScott. It made me chuckle the most. But a few others came close. And then a few others didn't come very close at all. Most were in the middle of the road.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-24-2006 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I like how I'm, like, the controversy this time around, and I don't even find my own joke that funny in hindsight.
06-24-2006 at 01:13 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
In hindsight, I definitely could have spent more time working on my pictures than I did, but I guess I was a bit too reliant on the "Erik reserves the right to represent your idea with his own, better art." clause.

06-24-2006 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
I decidedly liked 10 (A-trophy) 13 (Creativity) and 33 (Fight Bureaucracy). None are all that subtle, but then neither am I.

And speaking of not being very subtle: The following jokes were too tiny for me: 9 (Grit), 16 (Bravery -- there it's probably just the art that I don't get), 28 (See more accounts) 36 (flawless consistency), and I'm not really sure about 31 (Sincerity).
06-24-2006 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Znirk wrote:
33 (Fight Bureaucracy). None are all that subtle
Even when you consider that there are more efficient ways to cut red tape than lengthwise? :) I actually thought that was my better joke, even though it's scoring lower.
06-24-2006 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Tuttle wrote:
Znirk wrote:
33 (Fight Bureaucracy). None are all that subtle
Even when you consider that there are more efficient ways to cut red tape than lengthwise? :) I actually thought that was my better joke, even though it's scoring lower.
I liked yours a lot too, but I got it right away, so I didn't see it as being very subtle either.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-24-2006 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The A-Trophy one was very good. In fact, mine seems to be doing pretty well too :yay
06-24-2006 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Tiny Jokes Discussion (+1)  
I wanted to do a motivational poster that said "Hang in there" and had a picture of a noose, but I figured it may not be appropriate for this contest, and besides I already had my 3 entries in.

I did make another picture that wasn't an entry though:

[Last edited by DiMono at 06-24-2006 04:26 PM]
06-24-2006 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Tiny Jokes Discussion (+1)  
Ughh... I wish I didn't know what that joke meant. :sick
06-24-2006 at 04:30 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I didn't want to mod you up DiMono, but I had to.

06-24-2006 at 04:37 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Znirk wrote:
I decidedly liked 10 (A-trophy) 13 (Creativity) and 33 (Fight Bureaucracy). None are all that subtle, but then neither am I.

And speaking of not being very subtle: The following jokes were too tiny for me: 9 (Grit), 16 (Bravery -- there it's probably just the art that I don't get), 28 (See more accounts) 36 (flawless consistency), and I'm not really sure about 31 (Sincerity).

Maybe the 'more subtle' caption was too subtle.
Its based on the expression:
_______ is the sincerest form of ________
The original caption was the word in the 2nd blank.

If anyone truly doesn't know the expression:
Click here to view the secret text

06-24-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I don't like to be the killjoy, but I removed DiMono's picture. It's not appropriate for the forum. If anyone wants to discuss it, just e-mail me.
-Erik

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-25-2006 06:14 PM : fixed e-mail link]
06-24-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I ended up not entering - I had a couple of concepts worked out, until I saw 'Strive'. Let's face it, there was no way I was going to beat that.

The idea I was probably going to use first was 'Innovate', which would be a dog hanging onto a tree branch.

06-25-2006 at 06:11 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
well, Matt.

If we look at my score, if you couldn't beat mine, you were definitely not going /anywhere/. :D
06-25-2006 at 07:41 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
ErikH2000 wrote:
I don't like to be the killjoy, but I removed DiMono's picture. It's not appropriate for the forum. If anyone wants to discuss it, just e-mail me.

-Erik

Not that I wanted to discuss it, but the link doesn't work.

Keep posting,

06-25-2006 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tiny Jokes Discussion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com