Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Musical tastes
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
chowyunbrent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon Musical tastes (+1)  
Just wondered what all you guys listen to music wise? Music is a pretty huge part of my life, I listen mainly to indie and alternative rock but I love a lot of different genres, be it hardcore, metal, folk, classical, hip-hop, pop, post-rock etc etc...

I love nothing better than to slap on a great cd and listen to music as I play DROD. Rocking out with the 'roaches hehe.

To get the topic going, my favourite bands are Interpol, Smashing Pumpkins, Minus the Bear, Everytime i die, At-The-Drive-In, Radiohead, The Police, Bert Jansch, Placebo, Sonic Youth... ah i shouldn't have started I could go on for hours...

- www.myspace.com/wintermuteband
- www.myspace.com/ilovetheisles
05-03-2006 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
forrestfire
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Musical tastes (+1)  
My favorites are Arcade Fire, The Pixies, and Modest Mouse. All these bands are alternative rock. I don't know if you've heard of these bands, but I'm guessing you'd like them.

I like pretty much any other kind of music too. I have a lot of friends that say that they don't like a certain genre, specifically rap or bluegrass, but I think that there is good music in every genre.

[Last edited by forrestfire at 05-03-2006 10:08 PM]
05-03-2006 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
miketo
Rank Points: 61
Fave bands: Rush, Yes, Peter Gabriel
Fave genres: classical, jazz, prog rock / some alternative rock, ambient
Least favorite genre: rap, country-western
Least favorite instrument: harmonica
Favorite quote about music: "Remember the Great Folk Music Scare of the late Sixties? Boy, that was close; that garbage almost caught on." --Martin Mull

Forrestfire is spot on about good music in every genre; for example, I like Allison Krause, who is in the country-folk-bluegrass camp, so she is an exception to my least-liked genre.

All I know is, there is too much good music out there and not enough time to enjoy it all.
05-04-2006 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
icon Re: Musical tastes (0)  
forrestfire wrote:
My favorites are Arcade Fire, The Pixies, and Modest Mouse. All these bands are alternative rock. I don't know if you've heard of these bands, but I'm guessing you'd like them.

Yeah man, they are all great bands. If you like The Arcade Fire check out Broken Social Scene and Wolfparade (if you haven't already), both are excellent Canadian bands from a similar ilk.

05-04-2006 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I will also listen to anything that's good (yes, anything). I do tend gravitate towards female singer/songwriters and anything that's odd, quirky and/or experimental, though.

My top ten artists of all time (at the moment):
1. They Might Be Giants
2. Tori Amos
3. Bob Dylan
4. Siouxsie and the Banshees
5. Miles Davis
6. Aphex Twin
7. Bjork
8. Allison Moorer
9. Juliana Hatfield
10. Johnny Cash

And what I've been listening to the most lately (in no order):
Stereolab
T Rex
Wanda Jackson
Television (the 70s band, not an actual TV ;) )
Ravi Shankar
Sonic Youth
Neko Case
Giant Drag
Flaming Lips
Brian Eno

I'm very happy to see Arcade Fire, The Pixies, Broken Social Scene and Sonic Youth on other's list. All excellent.

05-04-2006 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
Television are such a great band, Its all about Marquee Moon. I've been accused of sounding too much like them with my band Wintermute haha.

I like your signature as well, I saw Joanna Newsom at the local social club near me last year. It was an amazing gig, a huge room completely full of people hanging on her every word, great stuff.

05-04-2006 at 12:42 PM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
chowyunbrent wrote:
Just wondered what all you guys listen to music wise?
Well, my Foobar2000 is currently loaded with all my Autechre/Gescom stuff; otherwise I listen to lots of electronic music (techno, dub, tech-house, ambient, ...), hip hop and post-rock/-ish stuff.

Artists I like include:

Autechre/Gescom (duh) | Plaid | Bola/Jello | Radiohead | Solvent | Styrofoam | Giardini Di Miro | Vladislav Delay/Luomo | The Orb | Amon Tobin | Burnt Friedman | Sage Francis | Sole | Jel | Pole | Them | Blockhead | Barbara Morgenstern | Two Lone Swordsmen | T.Raumschmiere | The Postal Service | Death Cab For Cutie | El-P | Aesop Rock | Rhythm & Sound | Tarwater | Roots Manuva | Yoko Kanno | Jah Wobble | The Future Sound Of London/Amorphous Androgynous | Mr. Velcro Fastener | Phantom/Ghost | &c &c &c

and generally most stuff from labels like

WARP | Kompakt | Morr Music | Schematic | Huume | City Centre Offices | Basic Channel | Ninja Tune | Anticon | Def Jux | Big Dada | ~scape | ...

np: Autechre - Slip (Amber)

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-05-2006 08:58 AM]
05-04-2006 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
There's so much stuff I like, and even more that I don't, so I'll list the most recent discovery:

Alice in Chains

Very nice, realy. For some hints about how it may sound, check http://www.music-map.com/alice+in+chains.html

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 05-04-2006 07:49 PM]
05-04-2006 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
No-one's mentioned eels?

05-04-2006 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
chowyunbrent wrote:
Television are such a great band, Its all about Marquee Moon. I've been accused of sounding too much like them with my band Wintermute haha.

I like your signature as well, I saw Joanna Newsom at the local social club near me last year. It was an amazing gig, a huge room completely full of people hanging on her every word, great stuff.
I'm listening to a few of your mp3s now. Pretty good stuff. :thumbsup

I'd love to see Joanna Newsom live. The Milk-Eyed Mender is one of my favorite albums of the 2000s so far. The sad fact is I don't think anyone else around me would quite know what to do with her if she were to come to my town. I've had that sig here for a while, mainly because it's mentions a caravel.

Jacob wrote:
No-one's mentioned eels?
That's one band I keep thinking I should hear more of. I own their first album, Beautiful Freak, and my roommate in college back in the early 90s owned the "A Man Called E" cassette which is an album by the lead singer- I remember really liking that album. I've come close to buying their other stuff many times while browsing the music isles, but I usually have 1 or 2 other CDs in my hands that I want more and so for budgetary reasons I always put it back.

05-05-2006 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
Briareos wrote:
Autechre/Gescom (duh) | Plaid | Bola/Jello | Radiohead | Solvent | Styrofoam | Giardini Di Miro | Vladislav Delay/Luomo | The Orb | Amon Tobin | Burnt Friedman | Sage Francis | Sole | Jel | Pole | Them | Blockhead | Barbara Morgenstern | Two Lone Swordsmen | T.Raumschmiere | The Postal Service | Death Cab For Cutie | El-P | Aesop Rock | Rhythm & Sound | Tarwater | Roots Manuva | Yoko Kanno | Jah Wobble | The Future Sound Of London/Amorphous Androgynous | Mr. Velcro Fastener | Phantom/Ghost | &c &c &c

and generally most stuff from labels like

WARP | Kompakt | Morr Music | Schematic | Huume | City Centre Offices | Basic Channel | Ninja Tune | Anticon | Def Jux | Big Dada | ~scape | ...

Not familliar with a lot of those srtists but I am a big Anticon fan myself, Sage Francis is a genius and i'm loving 'why?' at the moment. Aesop Rock is great as well, you hear the stuff he did with Evil9?

Tscott wrote:
I'm listening to a few of your mp3s now. Pretty good stuff. :thumbsup

Thanks man! glad you like it :)

05-05-2006 at 12:53 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
chowyunbrent wrote:
Not familliar with a lot of those artists
Yeah, I'm used to it... :)

but I am a big Anticon fan myself, Sage Francis is a genius and i'm loving 'why?' at the moment.
Yeah, I love Sage Francis' work, but I actually prefer Jel's "Soft Money" over Why?'s "Elephant Eyelash". Sole is good stuff too - in case you didn't know, he's got a self-produced album that's quite good out on Morr Music under his "man'sbestfriend" moniker called "the new human is illegal"...

Aesop Rock is great as well, you hear the stuff he did with Evil9?
Well, I've seen that flash video they had for "Crooked", and I've meant to check him out since, but with a "To check out" list as long as mine that's gonna take a while... :)

np: Autechre - Drane (Peel Session 1) (Yeah, I'm still stuck on that playlist...)

05-05-2006 at 06:38 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
A few of my favorite bands -- possibly nothing very eclectic, but hey...it's what I enjoy:

The The
Elliot Smith
Dandy Warhols
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Cosmic Rough Riders
Buckwheat Zydeco

That's good for now...

05-10-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
Briareos wrote:
Yeah, I love Sage Francis' work, but I actually prefer Jel's "Soft Money" over Why?'s "Elephant Eyelash". Sole is good stuff too - in case you didn't know, he's got a self-produced album that's quite good out on Morr Music under his "man'sbestfriend" moniker called "the new human is illegal"...
I'll have to check Sole and Jel out then, you sound like you know what you are talking about :)
jbluestein wrote:
The The
Elliot Smith
Dandy Warhols
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Cosmic Rough Riders
Buckwheat Zydeco
Nick Cave is great, consistently good as well. I always associate The Dandy Warhols with summer festivals for some reason. Its weird the way particular songs or albums can remind you of times in your life or other people etc. Music is a powerful thing.

05-11-2006 at 12:16 AM
acrobat
Rank Points: 47

File: unknown.mp3 (629.2 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Other
I have a hard time categorizing my musical tastes, beyond the generic "alternative rock" - which is not really specific enough to be accurate. But I have been listening to Pandora lately. Apparently they aren't much better at categorizing my tastes, as it seems to give me better selections before I vote songs up/down - after I have voted a few, it will consistently give me songs I don't like.

Their album selection is kind of hit or miss; they have Type O Negative's "Best Of" album, but none of the others; they don't have anything by New Disease (well, they don't have anything but singles out yet, so that I can understand at least.)

However, it does have one feature that is really nice: you can tag songs you like and have it make a page out of them, where you can even hear clips of the songs. You do have to have them come up in the rotation before you can flag them as such.

See my favorites page.

While we're on the topic, can anyone identify this song for me? I found it while digging through random downloaded clips, and it didn't have a descriptive name; the mp3 is 16kbit and heavily distorted so I can't tell what it started out as.

[Last edited by acrobat at 05-11-2006 07:26 AM : fixing links]
05-11-2006 at 07:22 AM
lakibuk
I'm into Anticon a bit,too. Especially like the first cLOUDEAD and The No Music by Themselves. Why? and Sole are fine,too. Sage Francis? Only know two mp3s you can download from the Anticon page, don't sound too exciting to me. Maybe he's done better?
Favourite band of all time: The Residents (only their 70-ies stuff).

05-11-2006 at 09:59 AM
chowyunbrent
I've had hit or miss results with pandora as well. www.lastfm.com I find to be a much better website. It actively records everything you play in your media player or whatever then makes recommendations based upon the patterns it observes. It seems to have a much better idea of what I like than pandora does anyhow! Check it out.
lakibuk wrote:
I'm into Anticon a bit,too. Especially like the first cLOUDEAD and The No Music by Themselves. Why? and Sole are fine,
Yeah cLOUDDEAD are great, they did a colab album with a Leeds band (i'm form leeds) called Hood. Don't know if you've heard them but they are definately worth checking out as well.

[Last edited by chowyunbrent at 05-12-2006 01:11 PM]
05-12-2006 at 01:10 PM
lakibuk
Ok,just checked out "The Negatives" .mp3 from Hood. Are my ears deceiving me or have they sampled Robert Wyatt's singing in it?
(And why is my post at 10:11 PM and your's at 12:10 PM, even though i posted after you?)

[Last edited by lakibuk at 05-12-2006 11:14 PM]
05-12-2006 at 11:11 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Probably involves the sun, and the earth, and nothing else except lack of recognition ;)
05-13-2006 at 02:13 AM
chowyunbrent
lakibuk wrote:
Ok,just checked out "The Negatives" .mp3 from Hood. Are my ears deceiving me or have they sampled Robert Wyatt's singing in it?

According to the sleeve notes its from 'gharbzadegi' by Robert Wyatt.

05-13-2006 at 01:24 PM
Bunches
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 192
I like
The NewsBoys and Casting Crowns and Avalon.

05-15-2006 at 01:22 AM
davis
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I like most anything that is not rap and has goog lyrics.

05-16-2006 at 09:42 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I like purely instrumental pieces. Perferably lots of violins playing in harmony, or a saxophone trio. Fife and Drum music is good as well, but it can get piercing at times. Good thing my base drum drowns it out! O:-
05-17-2006 at 02:58 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Ezlo wrote:
I like purely instrumental pieces. Perferably lots of violins playing in harmony, or a saxophone trio. Fife and Drum music is good as well, but it can get piercing at times. Good thing my base drum drowns it out! O:-

My favorite groups that do mostly instrumental pieces:

Hedningarna (some vocals)
Kronos Quartet (particularly their work on the soundtrack for Requiem For A Dream)
Afro-Celt Sound System

05-17-2006 at 03:30 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I'll tell you I've been listening to Pandora for more a few months. I've been tweaking my station all the time trying to get decent results. The results I got were 'fair' at best. I could expect one truly enjoyable track per 10-20 tracks.

I switched to last.fm today, and I'm amazed. Great licensing (GNU GPL, Creative Commons), broad selection of operating systems, plugins etc.... and the music tends to be much better !
I heard some criticism of last.fm before (opinions favoring pandora), but now pandora looks completely lifeless to me by comparison.
If I choose right station, I hardly ever skip tracks !
------------

My favourite Pandora stations so far, based on few hours of listening:
(artists similar to)
Alice in Chains
Delerium

I'm not going to go to bed soon.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
05-17-2006 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
Glad you are enjoying last.fm :)

My favourite instrumental band has got to be 65 Days of Static. They have truly phenomenal amounts of energy live.

http://www.myspace.com/sixtyfivedaysofstatic

05-18-2006 at 01:25 AM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
I can listen to generally anything, as long as the instrumentals are good to me. However, I'm more geared toward trance, techno, and even more toward a lot of existing video game music (Ahem, DROD especially. I love Nightwalk). I guess the only music that I can't get into is Country, Jazz, and a few more genres I just won't name. If it doesn't have lyrics, there's a good chance I can get into it.

By the way, music is definitely one of the main things I look forward to in new DROD releases, and other games. Of course, I know TCB will have an excellent score. :D

[Last edited by MasterGiga at 07-11-2006 07:59 PM : Forgot Trance]
06-13-2006 at 03:42 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The Reverse Engineers are another excellent indie-rock band. They sound sort of like...um...I don't know. They have a sample at their site.

06-13-2006 at 08:56 PM
davis
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
A good older group is the Electric Light Orchestra.

06-13-2006 at 09:33 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Yeah, just instrumental, and j-pop for me. If you were to ask my favorite band, I'd say BeForU. They made good songs like Break Down, Dive, Firefly, and more.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-14-2006 at 01:48 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Musical tastes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com