Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (Been away for awhile, just have KDD from a coupla years ago)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
IP: Logged
icon What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (0)  
The FAQ is silent on this, and I'm inherently confused anyway . . . I've been through the original Caravel DROD several times now, and I'd like to move on. Since it looks like most of the interesting stuff is associated with the Rooted Hold version, I've got a stupid question - what should I be purchasing and installing? Caravel.net subscription? Rooted Hold itself? Yet a third package I haven't encountered yet?

Thanks -
02-25-2006 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (0)  
The regular Journey to Rooted Hold demo is completely free. You get the monsters and new objects, as well as the Foundation style and the first three levels of Journey to Rooted Hold for free.

You just have to pay money for optional stuff like the rest of Journey to Rooted Hold and its two other styles, CaravelNet, Smitemaster's Selections, etc.

02-25-2006 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I had the same thoughts before I purchased my subsription. The way out is just to pay for *as much as possible*, and then you'll get the lot. Easy...

Plus it shouldn't put you back more than any commercial game price-tag.

And it's worth it.
02-25-2006 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
I can download full version from my LAN. I think there is no copy protection in DROD (it is open-source isn't it?). Can you download approximately 100Mb from the internet?
02-25-2006 at 05:19 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (+1)  
halyavin wrote:
I can download full version from my LAN. I think there is no copy protection in DROD (it is open-source isn't it?). Can you download approximately 100Mb from the internet?
Um. The very basic DROD program is open-source, but much of the content isn't, such as the full Journey to Rooted Hold dungeon with its extra art styles, and the Smitemaster's Selection holds. Obviously we don't want you to steal the game that many of us worked very hard on. Not much we can do about it except to ask you nicely to support an independent game company and please don't steal a pirated copy of our product.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-25-2006 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
icon Re: What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (-1)  
If there is no copy-protection in .hold files and you live in Russia (the only country where paypal isn't work and 20$ is a big money :thumbsdown) then pirated copy sometimes is the only way to play DROD ... (How you check is version of DROD correct? I think there is no difference between pirated and correct version. I even haven't knew that this game isn't free until your post.)
You may sleep quietly - there is no access from the internet to our LAN.
PS May be you made JtRH free when TCB will be released?
02-25-2006 at 06:31 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
If you can't afford the game, that's not a problem. Just download the 'demo', which has all the same functionality as AE. You get the first three levels of JtRH, and you can use the editor and play all the other holds on the Holds board, some of which are very good. There's also plenty of opportunities to win the game, in the monthly contests, or you can simply participate in eight contest and you can win the game that way.

If you can afford the game, but can't get your money to Erik, send him an e-mail, and he can work something out.

02-26-2006 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
Oh yes, Russia, where $3 is a common price for music albums (I'm not sure if that includes legit and pirate copies or not).

My suggestion is to save up the $32 and get JtRH and CaravelNet. The amount of play time you will get out of it is amazing, since (if you get it before april) you will get not only JtRH's 350 rooms, but no less than seven Smitemaster's Selection holds (including an enhanced remake of King Dugan's Dungeon, the AE/Webfoot classic core of the game).

Yes, JtRH is easy to pirate; no, there isn't really much we can do about it (AFAIK, we don't even have a rule for banning known pirates), but if you do, first, don't be surprised if you are looked down on by the community at minimum, possibly banned, and second, at least pay the $12 for CaravelNet and show the devteam SOME support. $20's a lot even for my pretty damn well-off family in Alaska, and for me, any online purchase is tough, but surely $12 isn't out of range for you. I feel wrong for even saying "if you decide to pirate it anyways", by the way, and I'm no fan of copyright law. Seriously, support the DROD developers and community; it's worth it.

02-26-2006 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
halyavin wrote:
If...you live in Russia (the only country where paypal isn't work and 20$ is a big money :thumbsdown)...
Good news, Halyavchik -- we collaborated with a Russian game publishing company and made a Russian version of DROD:JtRH. It should be for sale in Russia's game stores soon. If not, ask the store to order some copies.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2006 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
icon Re: What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (+2)  
In Soviet Russia, DROD smites you!

Ok, and now back to work.
03-02-2006 at 06:23 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
RubellaGolda wrote:
In Soviet Russia, DROD smites you!

Ok, and now back to work.
I'd mod you down, but I'm fresh out of mod-points, and meta-moderation didn't help.

Uh, waitaminute...

Sorry, I really thought this was Slashdot for a minute... :P

03-02-2006 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
mrimer
Wow. Is Russian the first language to which you translate JtRH?

[Last edited by halyavin at 03-02-2006 10:57 AM]
03-02-2006 at 10:56 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
halyavin wrote:
mrimer
Wow. Is Russian the first language to which you translate JtRH?
I think TLK Games made a French version of the original DROD in 3D, but I'm with everyone else that DROD3D is practically unplayable.

Halyavin, I'm sending you a PM.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-02-2006 at 08:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What should I do to get "modern" DROD? (Been away for awhile, just have KDD from a coupla years ago)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com