Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hex-a-hop (Freeware puzzle game I wrote)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mokona
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon Hex-a-hop (+11)  
I recently finished writing a puzzle game (freeware), and thought some fellow DRODers might be interested.

http://www.aceinternet.co.uk/~mokona

I imagine it won't be too difficult for hardened DROD players, but hopefully someone will find it interesting. (It's turn-based and doesn't have any block pushing, so there's a small similarity :-)

Any feedback is most welcome - I'll reply to any questions on this thread. (I'm trying not to be too spammy - I joined this board a while ago, but have just been lurking.)

01-17-2006 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Hex-a-hop (+2)  
I've played the first 15 levels or so, and I think the best way to explain this game to the DROD forum is as hexagonal trapdoor puzzles. And a little bit of Q-Bert.

It's enjoyable thus far.

01-18-2006 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Hex-a-hop (+1)  
I've played... (checking) the 28% of the game and love it!

Yeah, it obviously "looks like" hexa-trapdoors... but it reminds us once again to all of us that to make a good puzzle game you don't need anything complex. Just a few simple rules and a bit of imagination.

Two (geez, I only got two hands) thumbs up!
01-18-2006 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
I haven't beaten that many levels yet, but I can honestly say I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far.

It's got a very polished feel to it, that other freeware games seem to lack. The graphics all flow together nicely, and the undo animation is purely genius.

Also, the little things, like pressing buttons faster than the animation causes the game to just skip the animation, instead of making me wait for it to finish. Slick.
01-18-2006 at 08:44 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
I agree with previous comments. Fun game that gets better as you go on. It may not seem like it, but once you get to a certain point in the game you will want to go back and replay lots of the levels!

I'm currently at 76% so if anyone wants any hints for earlier stages you just need to ask.
01-19-2006 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mokona
It's great to hear that people are enjoying the game - your kind words are most appreciated!
If there are any levels people get really stuck on, I'll add hints for them to the website (currently there are only hints for levels which people have emailed me about)
Let me know if anyone finishes the game!
01-19-2006 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Done it!! I was getting a bit stressed by "Hunting", but once I figured out how to get started, it was plain sailing.

Now, I better get some work done before anyone notices I haven't done anything today! O:-

Challenge to anyone who has completed all 100 levels....

Click here to view the secret text

01-19-2006 at 04:23 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
icon Re: Hex-a-hop (0)  
Hmm. There are too few games made on a hexagonal playing field. Good job. Now, I’ll just download this...
01-19-2006 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I like it. I'm a little over 40% at the moment.

Just one question: Where's the level editor? ;) It really increases the lifetime of a game to me.

edit: 91% now :) Some quite hard ones left...

[Last edited by Doom at 01-22-2006 08:08 PM]
01-20-2006 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
VortexSurfer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I'm two thirds through and really like it - in fact rather more than I thought I would (Initial reaction was: "Trapdoor puzzles? Well there may be about 5 interesting ones ..." Turns out there are quite some more!)

Anyway I second the request for a level editor! :)
01-20-2006 at 09:16 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
Great game, I'm addicted :thumbsup

Just a couple of minor bugs though:
-After installation the setup window disappears but setup.exe keeps running, I chose the option of playing straight after installation.
-If you trampoline off the edge of the screen then the game does not register that you have died

01-20-2006 at 10:03 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Andy101 wrote:

-After installation the setup window disappears but setup.exe keeps running, I chose the option of playing straight after installation.
-If you trampoline off the edge of the screen then the game does not register that you have died

The first one is likely a bug in the setup.exe file, being that it calls the process as a subprocess as opposed to calling a new application. Also, he probably didn't make setup.exe himself as there are a lot of install-your-own-install programs you can use out there. In fact, Dev C++ comes with one.
01-21-2006 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
VortexSurfer
Well, I've finished all levels now as well. Statistics:

(updated again- I just can't stop ...) :w00t

[Last edited by VortexSurfer at 01-24-2006 12:09 AM]
01-21-2006 at 06:40 PM
RoboBob3000
VortexSurfer wrote:
Well, I've finished all levels now as well. Statistics:
Just finished. I'm 48% mastered, with 12 under par. My sub-par scores are formatted in the same way VortexSurfer's were, with asterisks to mark improvements on his scores.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 01-23-2006 06:03 PM]
01-21-2006 at 11:42 PM
Mokona
Level editor... hmmm... maybe if I do a sequel :) (Obviously I have the one I used to make the game, but it's not really in a fit state to release to the public... and the game has a load of hard-coded assumptions about things like the number of levels.)

--
To those who've cleared the game:

01-22-2006 at 01:29 PM
Mokona
Andy101 wrote:

As coppro said, I'm using an installer-maker (Innosetup, which generally seems quite good and easy to use), so I guess it's a quirk of that.

As for bouncing off the edge of the screen, which level did you have that happen on? I just tried it on Motion Sickness and it seemed to work fine...

01-22-2006 at 01:47 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
As for bouncing off the edge of the screen, which level did you have that happen on? I just tried it on Motion Sickness and it seemed to work fine...
It occurs on sniper, with the trampoline on the left of the screen.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 01-22-2006 01:55 PM]
01-22-2006 at 01:55 PM
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
I've only completed 77% so far, but have one score that is better than anything posted so far:

01-22-2006 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Any chance of a Mac version coming out? :?

01-22-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
VortexSurfer
Mikko wrote:
I've only completed 77% so far, but have one score that is better than anything posted so far:

Hey, that's not bad ... but:

01-22-2006 at 11:40 PM
RoboBob3000
VortexSurfer wrote:

Hey, that's not bad ... but:

Matched you. Made me feel really smart. Just had to say it.

01-23-2006 at 06:47 AM
Stephen4Louise
OK, here are my current top scores.....

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 01-23-2006 02:24 PM : Corrected a couple of scores]
01-23-2006 at 09:15 AM
Mokona
Chaco wrote:
Any chance of a Mac version coming out? :?
I don't have a Mac myself, but it should be fairly easy for someone with a Mac to build it from the source code (download the Linux version as a starting point - should just need a C++ compiler and SDL)...
If anyone does this, let me know and I'll stick it up on the website!
01-23-2006 at 11:20 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'll add my voice to people who thinks this is a really great game. Well done!

A couple of nitpicks:

- Sound effects are sorely missed
- The sides of the white walls are too dark.

01-23-2006 at 01:03 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'll just ditto everything above: Great game... needs sound. Also, it would be nice if 'R' would reset a level. I like to play with the keyboard only, and I have to hit like 3/4 keys to reset or use the mouse. Since this is a fairly common occurance, it would be nice if it were mapped to a single key.

I need help on Lifts - I just don't see how to get rid of all the green tiles at the north end.

On Finishing Strike, I only needed 1 of the jumps.

01-23-2006 at 04:37 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
On lifts:

01-23-2006 at 05:56 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
<-- slaps forhead into next week.

I'm such an idiot. Thanks.

01-23-2006 at 06:28 PM
eytanz
Minor bug:

If you unlock a level, and then solve another level that would unlock it, you get the unlocking animation again.

01-23-2006 at 11:44 PM
eytanz
Also, Carefully Does It seems to have an unintentionally trivial solution. Or else it's an intentional solution and most of the stuff in the room are red herrings (I didn't use any of the anti-ice, for example).

01-24-2006 at 12:09 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580

File: hah-linux.patch (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
Great game! The Linux version doesn't work when compiled in 64-bit mode (graphics is messed up), but 32-bit works fine after a couple fixes (see attached diff -- ignore the changes to Makefile, that's just to make it compile in 32-bit mode on my box).
eytanz wrote:
Also, Carefully Does It seems to have an unintentionally trivial solution. Or else it's an intentional solution and most of the stuff in the room are red herrings (I didn't use any of the anti-ice, for example).
There's more than one way to solve that level. Some are more efficient than others :)

- Gerry
01-24-2006 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hex-a-hop (Freeware puzzle game I wrote)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com