Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: Skellish Trapoe.hold (135.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold? (0)  
Actually, I'm almost sure, this topic should land in the "Architecture", but because my problem is big I'm expecting fast help ;P

So it began about one week ago.
I had some strange problems with DROD. And after some run's the DROD completely crashed. I've lost a very early beining of my hold. I thought Viruses caused it, but no(read more).
I reinstalled DROD, and I've created now very much of my new hold. But my brother Took control of my Comp (Only one with internet), so I had to move to his comp. I've ran DROD through Lan. After regaining control on my precious Comp, I've decided to play drod. But I've encountered the same bug as before. Now I was sure, it wasn't viruses. Quickly I've exported my player and my hold.
Now I reinstalled DROD, but... Well, my hold imported clearly, but my player is not going to do it. Well, when I was exporting hold, "Only you" option was checked, and now I can't do anything.

And my please is simple:
I'm adding this hold here. I'm pleasing for changing it to anyone can edit (and possibly posting it to me as e-mail? ). Of course if you have time. Well I'm sure you can do it... ;)

Thanks for reading...

12-26-2005 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MatrixFrog
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold? (0)  
You lost me in some of the details there, but it sounds like:

1. You're afraid of losing work that you've done in level design.

Don't worry about that. Now that you've posted it here, just come back and re-download it if it gets lost.

2. You're having some problems with DROD, running it over a network.

I wouldn't recommend that. Copy all the files to the computer you're actually on, or re-install it there, then run it locally.
12-28-2005 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold? (+1)  
MatrixFrog wrote:
You lost me in some of the details there, but it sounds like:

1. You're afraid of losing work that you've done in level design.

Don't worry about that. Now that you've posted it here, just come back and re-download it if it gets lost.

2. You're having some problems with DROD, running it over a network.

I wouldn't recommend that. Copy all the files to the computer you're actually on, or re-install it there, then run it locally.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if you've understood what he is asking..
Somehow his version of DROD was corrupted, so he can no longer edit the hold he was creating. He's asking someone (eg one of the DROD-programmer-people) to somehow change his hold to anybody edit so that he can continue making it.
12-28-2005 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
well, er, it's all well and good he's got the hold, but it's set to 'only you', and he's lost the playerfile that lets him change the hold, Matrixfrog.
12-28-2005 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Uh, I'm afraid, I've said it wrong. Well, i looks like that.
I've been creating hold, and my DROD version, has been corrupted becausse I ran it on other comp. I had to export my player, and my hold. Then I reinstalled DROD. I tried to import my player, but it still says "File is Corrupted", so I can't import my player. But I forgot to change from "Only You" to "Anyone", so now I have playable but uneditable hold. It is impossible for me to edit it now, because I have "Only You can Edit" Hold, without the player who can edit it. And it makes me sad, because I've spend very much time working on it, and I needed strong will, to sometimes calm down :). So I have a very big "PLEASE" for somebody who will be able to help me. I mean downloading this uneditable version(first post), and send me editable by anyone(At mail, for example). I would be most grateful.

Thanks for reading... ;)

12-28-2005 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
It's probably the problem with 'image floors not there anymore'. I suppose you could fix it by exporting the hold again... but make sure you remove all unnecessary image floors from your hold first. Oh, right, you can't edit. Sorry.
Let's hope Stefan is around here somewhere...

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 12-28-2005 08:11 AM]
12-28-2005 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mike could probably do it easily enough; Schik can do it as well but he might not still have a dev build for 2.0 readily available. I think I still have a dev build for 2.0 on my laptop, but I haven't been using it recently. When I go back to work tomorrow I will try to remember to take care of this for you, skell, assuming no one else has done it yet.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-28-2005 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Thanks for all your employment in my problem :). Well, I'm not in hurry, so I can wait a bit. But I really don't want to loose it. I've lost my whole HD twice, and now I have Dataloose-Phobia :P.

12-28-2005 at 09:26 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold? (+2)  
It's a trivial fix if you know how to do it. Here.

Edit: You didn't give any e-mail address to send the hold to, so just tell me when you've downloaded the hold and I'll remove it from this post.

[Last edited by Stefan at 12-28-2005 10:22 AM : Removed hold from post.]
12-28-2005 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
AH! :w00t
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!
:)
<Looks discretly around> I hope everybody will wait for full version instead of downloading it :shifty

Anyway I'm really graceful for this :D .

Thanks ;)

12-28-2005 at 10:17 AM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Stefan wrote:
It's a trivial fix if you know how to do it. Here.

Edit: You didn't give any e-mail address to send the hold to, so just tell me when you've downloaded the hold and I'll remove it from this post.

How did you do that?

-Insane
12-28-2005 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
He wouldn't tell you, otherwise you'd be able to immediately edit the SS holds and JtRH, and that wouldn't be good now would it? ;)

12-28-2005 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
I don't have CaravelNet so I can't even obtain JtRH and the Smitemaster's Selections. But yes, i would be able to edit for instance KDD or so.

-Insane
12-28-2005 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold? (+3)  
Regardless of room, Rabscuttle will clear it.
Regardless how obscure about DROD, Stefan knows it.
Regardless how bloody @#*$ing unlikely, Doom has the trivial/unintended solution.

That is about how it works around here.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 12-28-2005 08:51 PM]
12-28-2005 at 08:50 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Regardless of topic, Banjooie will complain about it.

12-29-2005 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Not true, I totally liked that one thread in that one forum.
12-29-2005 at 01:55 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
And um... regardless of... err...

darn, I'm always late on these sort of things

12-29-2005 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What should I do, when I've almost lost my precious Hold?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com