Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upload holds to JtRH
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Upload holds to JtRH (0)  
How can I upload holds to JtRH? Can it be done to the domoversion?
10-30-2005 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Upload holds to JtRH (0)  
Upload holds to... JtRH?

I think you either mean upload holds from JtRH or download holds to JtRH. The first sentence makes no sense.

10-30-2005 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Upload holds to JtRH (+1)  
Do you really mean "upload"? That is, do you want to make your hold available for the general public? If so, you should export the file from DROD (you must be the author to do that), and post it on the Architecture board for testing - or do a private beta-testing. Once you are confident your hold works fine, you can post it on the Holds forum, and it will be available on CaravelNet as soon as one vote has been cast (your vote will be fine).

If you meant "getting new holds to play", you should find an attached .hold file on all hold threads: download this file, put it in a directory you will remember ([Your_DROD_Repertory]/Data/Homemade is the default one), go to the Change Location screen, and Import it. Alternatively, if you have CaravelNet, simply go in the Change Location screen, select a hold, and hit Download.

I'm not quite sure if the demo version proper allows for that, as I have trouble with the "demo vs DROD 2.0" distinction.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 10-31-2005 05:44 PM]
10-30-2005 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I, however, have no trouble with it:

The 'demo' version of JtRH is in fact fully featured, so you are capable of importing new holds to JtRH to play that you've downloaded off the website. To do so, just go to "Change Location" in the "Play" menu, then click on the Import button.

(The 'full' version of JtRH adds new content - namely, the new styles, music and the kickass hold. It doesn't, in deference to the game's open-source roots, lock up any features.

CaravelNet, which is a separate product packed in with JtRH for a time, allows you to connect to the Caravel servers from within JtRH for all sorts of fun. These are CaravelNet features. You might be able to use the two products independently of one another, so you'd use CaravelNet with the 'demo' version of JtRH, but I'm not sure so I'd have to get Caravel to confirm.)

10-30-2005 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Let me make sure I got that right: the demo and the open-source exe are one and the same, except that the demo gets the first three levels of Rooted Hold, and the media in said three levels. Is that correct?
10-30-2005 at 01:14 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Alneyan wrote:
Let me make sure I got that right: the demo and the open-source exe are one and the same, except that the demo gets the first three levels of Rooted Hold, and the media in said three levels. Is that correct?

Almost. It seems that three first levels of JTRH hold use all 3 room styles if you have full version. If you use demo, 3 first levels use same style.

Other than that, demo allows you to play ALL user-made holds, and make your own holds using all elements. You can even import custom floor graphics and sounds into your hold. And this is what really matters.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 10-30-2005 01:56 PM]
10-30-2005 at 01:55 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
b0rsuk wrote:
Almost. It seems that three first levels of JTRH hold use all 3 room styles if you have full version. If you use demo, 3 first levels use same style.
No. The first 3 levels all use Foundation (purple) style in the full game, to match the demo. Deep Spaces is first used on level 4, and Iceworks on level 5.

"Oook!"
10-30-2005 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
krammer wrote:
No. The first 3 levels all use Foundation (purple) style in the full game, to match the demo. Deep Spaces is first used on level 4, and Iceworks on level 5.

Err. How do you explain this ? A fake ?

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=805&page=0#4522

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-30-2005 at 02:37 PM
Alneyan
That would be a screenshot from KDD level 2, as converted by DROD 2.0.

I can confirm that Foundation is used for the first three levels of Rooted Hold in both the demo and the full game.
10-30-2005 at 02:40 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
So can I, because Caravel didn't want to retcon the first three levels so people would have to go back and play them 'as we intended'.

The best way to think of it is like this: Caravel has three products that all connect together, sort of like the Office range. They've got the free, open-source DROD engine, and that's the same one we've always had. Then they've got Journey to Rooted Hold, which connects to the DROD engine and adds the new graphics and music and so on and so forth. Finally, sort of off to the side, they've got CaravelNet, which connects both to DROD and other Caravel titles and is basically all the Internet features, high scores, that sort of thing.

We call the DROD engine the demo because Danforth Strout told Caravel that it was a good idea.

10-30-2005 at 09:25 PM
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Sorry, I mean download, but I am not good at english. Perhaps I am stupid, but how do I chance directory; I have download the hold to a new file. , but donīt know how to use the file instead of the one , which dosnīt work.
Another question: How do I get CaravelNet? When I ask for a key, I am told, that I am not registered.

Thank you for helping me.

10-31-2005 at 09:24 AM
Alneyan
icon Re: Upload holds to JtRH (+2)  
You can change directories in the upper half of the Change Location window. I would recommend putting your .hold files in a directory at the root of your hard drive, for example in C:\\Holds.

You can navigate in a number of ways: the easiest way is probably to type in the "address" of your directory in the space next to Current directory (so, something easy like C:\\Holds is quick enough to type, and DROD will automatically use this folder from now on). Alternatively, you can click on .. to go back to the previous folder in the "directory tree" (so, if you were in C:\\Program Files\\DROD, clicking on .. would bring you back to C:\\Program Files, and then to C:\\). There is also the list of all your "letters" at the bottom of this window, so you can go from [ C:] to [ D:], for example.

CaravelNet requires that you pay an annual fee to work. If you have purchased a CaravelNet subscription from Caravelgames, Erik has sent you a mail explaining how to get it to work; if you have not made any purchase, you cannot access CaravelNet. Purchasing the full game also gives you a one-month trial of CaravelNet.
10-31-2005 at 10:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upload holds to JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No