Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Prize Box (A contest for prizes!)
<<17181920
Page 21 of 24
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Prize Box (0)  
That's what I've been doing too, but I haven't gotten different...

bah. I think I figured out what you mean.

EDIT:

Alright, I have all the data, but I can't seem to get an answer that makes sense. The next post contains an answer that doesn't make sense, but I can get it from this data.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-11-2006 08:51 PM]
07-11-2006 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
OG #1:

Technolotics

07-11-2006 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Did you make use of the 40? Remember from a previous clue, nothing in the puzzle is wasted; that 40 must be there for a reason.

07-11-2006 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
OG #2:

07-11-2006 at 11:53 PM
DiMono
Clue the Final: Those room coordinates could almost be a set of directions, couldn't they...

Yes, I'm a pushover.

07-13-2006 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I reckon this goes against the "nothing is wasted" clue, but anyway:

OG#1: this room
07-13-2006 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
And since I'm a blind fool, this one might actually represent the correct output of my thought processes. :?

OG#2: this room.
07-13-2006 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
no solution, just some raw data:

Click here to view the secret text

07-13-2006 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
OG #2:

8 South, 2 East

07-13-2006 at 02:47 PM
DiMono
Well, Thursday is almost at a close, so it seems a reasonable time to reveal the solution to my puzzle. The first step is to gather all 19 pictures and identify which rooms they are from Loony Labyrinth. The starting numbers in their filenames put the rooms in order, and the ending numbers are a red herring, as is evident from there being two that end in 07 (thus a double 07).

So now you have a bunch of rooms and locations. What next? There's a brain in every room, and the title says something about intelligence, so we head over to the page about the Brain on drod.caravelgames.com. All that hasn't been dealt with now is the number 40 that appears in large bold letters beneath every picture.

The final solution is to copy the text from the Brain page in to a fixed-width editor and narrow it down to 40 characters wide, and then use the room coordinates to pick out letters and spaces. Start at 1,1 (the top-left character), and follow the directions given in the room coordinates, always continuing from where you left off. By the time you get to the end, you will have the phrase Delving ever deeper, which is the solution to this puzzle.

Look for a less devilish puzzle soon, and whoever solves it will get two squares from the Prize Box!

07-14-2006 at 04:49 AM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: The Prize Box (+1)  
The simple hint that it's a crypto would've sufficed, I bet... (And the brain thing helps too)

Actually, no, it's just too far out there... Notpron wasn't this abstract. :selftwak
07-14-2006 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Prize Box (+3)  
DiMono wrote:
There's a brain in every room
Umm... No. There's not. Only 10 of the 19 rooms contain a brain. Saying that the brain matters made me think that all lines of code wouldn't be equal.

Also, the end-numbers being red herrings was pretty low, seeing that you said yourself that nothing is wasted in the puzzle.
07-14-2006 at 08:04 AM
DiMono
Red herrings aren't wasted, they're diversions. The duplication of the 7 was on purpose. I'll confess to having taken someone else's word for it in the thread about there being brains in every room though, it was late and I didn't have the energy at the time to verify whether it was correct; I just remembered someone having said it.

I thought the link to the Brain page that was one of the clues would have been taken a little more literally when I gave it out; if I just wanted to mention the Brain, I would have done so. I know I've used column widths in a previous puzzle too. The pieces were there, they were just too scrambled apparently. The next one will be easier.

Edit: Oh, and some of the high-level (-20 and beyond) Not Pron rooms are significantly more devious than this was.

[Last edited by DiMono at 07-14-2006 02:07 PM]
07-14-2006 at 02:06 PM
Chaco
Yeah, but in a different way. You have the information, it's just either you don't know what to do with it or you're trying to get it.

But yeah, I didn't even think of that. :/

I'm not bad at puzzles, but I don't want my first to be so good that it's worth two letters... too much pressure.

07-14-2006 at 03:21 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
DiMono wrote:
Red herrings aren't wasted, they're diversions. The duplication of the 7 was on purpose.
Maybe it's just that we're looking at the situation in different ways, but I still don't see how that doesn't fit the meaning of word 'wasted'.
wast·ed
adj.
   1. Not profitably used or maintained
   2. Needless or superfluous
I see red herrings as needless/superfluous information when it comes to solving the puzzle.

But hey, no problem. Just don't make the next one *too easy* ;)
07-14-2006 at 03:33 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
In fact, make the next one *harder*. That should ensure you're not conforming to the "too hard, then too easy" stereotype.

07-14-2006 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
If he makes the next one harder, it'll take a year to make.

07-14-2006 at 06:45 PM
DiMono
Puzzle: I've hidden a particular character on a particular website. Find it and you win!

(yes, this is a joke)

07-14-2006 at 07:02 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
OG#1: D

07-14-2006 at 07:08 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
OG #1: Donald Duck.

Do you want the website too?

07-14-2006 at 07:24 PM
DiMono
Alright, alright, here's a real puzzle. Just for one square though, as this isn't the one I have in mind for two just yet. Just a little something to whet your whistles.

Puzzle: I am at the bottom of a website, and I am misspelled. Come find me.

07-14-2006 at 07:35 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
OG #1: weird
07-14-2006 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
OG #2: misspelled
07-14-2006 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
OG # 1would it be here? http://www.diabloii.net/columnists/author-dimono.shtml because i know this is you, the name is chris marks

[Last edited by golfrman at 07-14-2006 08:19 PM]
07-14-2006 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
OG#1: Referer.
07-15-2006 at 03:13 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
OG#1: noptron

Failure awhey!
07-15-2006 at 03:46 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
OG#1: Copyright
OG#2: Chris Marks

07-15-2006 at 01:25 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
OG#1: "Avaliable" on this page

07-16-2006 at 06:41 AM
DiMono
Sorry for the lack of clues, I was away for the weekend.

Clue 1: No really, at the bottom of a website something is misspelled. Find me. Then link to me.

Clue 2: It's not a Caravel website this time, you're going to have to wander out in to the world to find it.

07-17-2006 at 02:56 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, it doesn't seem to be on any of the pages on DiMono.net. I can't think of anything else where you would have the privilege of editing a page.
07-17-2006 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<17181920
Page 21 of 24
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Prize Box (A contest for prizes!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com