Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Dan's Dungeon : Level 9 : 1 North, 4 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Elswyyr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Dan's Dungeon : Level 9 : 1 North, 4 East (0)  
I get that I need to lure an adder into the pressure plate to get access to the roach queens, then when both queens are killed, kill the adders. But I don't see how I get the adders in there. I've fed the adder some roaches to make it long enough, but I can't go into the tunnel after the pressure plate, or the adder's head will trap me. What am I missing here?
08-22-2013 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Dan's Dungeon : Level 9 : 1 North, 4 East (0)  
There's a technique to making snakes go east without having to stand directly east of them. I'll try to explain the snake movement pattern to show why this technique works.

Snakes basically have a preference to either try and move horizontally towards you, or vertically towards you. This preference changes every 5 turns - horizontal, vertical, horizontal, etc. If they can't move the direction they would prefer to go to reach Beethro, they'll then try and move North, East, South and West, in that order.

Thus, if a snake is currently on vertical preference, and has just moved South, there will be a tail segment to the North of the head. If you then move North, the snake will try to move vertically to get to you, but it can't (because of its tail.) It will then try to move North (but can't), and then try to move East, and succeed.

Once that happens, you can then step behind the snake's head (to the west on the same horizontal row), where, due to another quirk, the snake will then go forward indefinitely. This works in any of the four cardinal directions.

These two techniques can come in handy in all sorts of snake rooms, even horde rooms where a bunch of snakes are just slapped down with no particular puzzle. But in this case, you can line up a snake head with a corridor on the east, and then send it in head-first, without having to stand inside the corridor yourself.

08-22-2013 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214

File: adder.png (257.2 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Public Domain
Elswyyr wrote:
I get that I need to lure an adder into the pressure plate to get access to the roach queens, then when both queens are killed, kill the adders. But I don't see how I get the adders in there. I've fed the adder some roaches to make it long enough, but I can't go into the tunnel after the pressure plate, or the adder's head will trap me. What am I missing here?

Click here to view the secret text

adS

08-22-2013 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Spear
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
adS wrote:

adS

I would love to hear about the unintended solution...
01-23-2020 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Dan's Dungeon : Level 9 : 1 North, 4 East (+1)  
Judging by adS' demo, the unintended solution uses the same manipulation concept, it just doesn't require feeding the adders.

01-23-2020 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Dan's Dungeon : Level 9 : 1 North, 4 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com