Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Lair of the Monster (Second level!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
PigmyWubba
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
IP: Logged

File: Lair of the Monster.drh (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Lair of the Monster (+4)  
Hey everybody i`m here with my first hold and post.

Well just to note the opening and the dialogue is just a filler.

Update Number 3.6.1

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 05-05-2012 09:26 AM]
04-16-2012 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1333
icon Re: Lair of the Monster (+1)  
Some comments:
Click here to view the secret text

Overall, very good for a first time! I'd suggest getting someone to help with your spelling and grammar, though. I'm not the best person to ask for that, but I can help if nobody else has steps up.
04-16-2012 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
icon Re: Lair of the Monster (0)  
I knew i had forgotten something that black door and pressure plate
they were a side effect of designing the layout.

don't worry about my grammar i literally wrote that in
seconds.

Although thanks ill get working on more stuff soon.

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 04-16-2012 11:32 PM]
04-16-2012 at 10:49 PM
PigmyWubba
New update.

04-18-2012 at 08:12 AM
PigmyWubba
Specific things that i`m interested in knowing...

How much health did you have after you finished level one.

Which room did you like the most?

Do you want more puzzles with follower types?

And finally How many hits did you take on WD 2N3W
(The minimum is 0 The expected is 2)

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 04-18-2012 02:50 PM]
04-18-2012 at 01:20 PM
Someone Else
Yeah, I managed to take no hits in 2N3W.
How is the follower crossing the black gate in 3N?
Also, why would I fight the large wraithwing in 3N1W? The red door is clearly, always, the better choice. Anyway, my stats:

04-18-2012 at 05:28 PM
PigmyWubba
Ah dang it i didnt think about the fact you could go down the red path!

But thanks it will be fixed by 1.2 the black door is from the other half from when you get the g-hook(Accessed by the shield) Can i ask where you used the Y key?

Edit:Oh wait follower wraith wing? yeah for whatever reason they ignore closed doors thats why i use scripting

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 04-18-2012 05:51 PM]
04-18-2012 at 05:41 PM
Someone Else
Looks like that's a bug. Odd.

Yellow key - I used it to get the defence gem and the two potions. I don't believe there was another spot...
04-18-2012 at 07:27 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3755
My stats before completing the boss:
HP: 766,
Atk: 22,
Def: 13

Like it so far :). I think I would like the wraithwings' colors to be a bit more clear.

[Last edited by skell at 04-18-2012 08:22 PM]
04-18-2012 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Thanks I think WD`s first half is done After Spiders den you will get a G hook to go to the second half with tougher WW`s

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 04-18-2012 08:22 PM]
04-18-2012 at 08:21 PM
PigmyWubba
But anyways Can you tell me how you got so much health?

04-18-2012 at 08:31 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3755
I was optimizing quite a lot, I don't really think there is any recipe for it :). Subtract 250 for the boss though, because the stats are from before fighting with him.

04-18-2012 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Oh OK its understandable then my goal was an average of 300 health by the end of it

04-18-2012 at 08:36 PM
PigmyWubba
New Update

More questions

What do you think of SD so far?

Did you find any more bugs in WW?

How do you feel about my general architecture?

04-18-2012 at 08:46 PM
PigmyWubba
Major Update Released Second level done its pretty unbalanced but in 2.1 it will be more balanced

So same questions as above.

04-18-2012 at 11:54 PM
PigmyWubba
Update 2.0.1 I found a couple bugs and fixed them in SD.

04-19-2012 at 11:10 AM
PigmyWubba
I`ll just come right out and say it i cant make the third part until i get some feedback about SD but no rush Just don`t expect an update until i know a general of stats after SD. :?

04-22-2012 at 12:14 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
icon Re: Lair of the Monster (+2)  
I've been enjoying the hold so far and will be able to give some detailed commentary later, but I have one thing I'd like to mention right away:

It's possible to get completely stuck in Spider's Den if you make the wrong decision. In Spider's Den Twice West, if you close the black door at (3, 12) before getting the green key inside, later on it will be impossible to get all the blue keys necessary for the portable orb. It's difficult (if not impossible) to see this ahead of time, and since you want to make a beeline for the short sword in order to make this level doable, I think this is a big flaw.

I would recommend keeping the structure you have now, but adding an additional way to get a green key in this level, either by making another choice in that room to get the same green key guarded by the spiders, or putting a green key somewhere else guarded by some mud babies, gray men, or other monsters that are tougher than a Large Wraithwing but not as tough as a Tar Baby.

--

Aside from that, I think the level design is OK, save for some rooms and structures that are set up so that one choice is always better than another, and other oddities (why kill 5 spiders in 3W in order to get the goodies in the 1S3W hallway, if you can come in from 4W to 3W, lock the yellow door and get them that way?)

I also think you should also add just a couple more areas in the hold where you can fight moderately difficult monsters and get a yellow key, since there tend to be yellow doors blocking important gems or items.

--

Also, here were my stats just prior to trying to gather up enough green keys to fight the Elder Spider:

HP: 212
ATK: 54
DEF: 45

(Elder Spider does 0 damage)

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-23-2012 12:10 AM]
04-23-2012 at 12:09 AM
PigmyWubba
Thank you for your input ill be balancing SD before i work on the right half of WD just some notes though...

I also think you should also add just a couple more areas in the hold where you can fight moderately difficult monsters and get a yellow key, since there tend to be yellow doors blocking important gems or items.

Yes the lack of yellow keys is intentional i want it to be a hard decision to use one but ill add in a couple more.

After about an hour an update that will have a more balanced SD will be out.

EDIT:

I see you think the door locking part was a bug no that was intentional although i didn't think about coming from the right.

[Last edited by PigmyWubba at 04-23-2012 03:16 AM]
04-23-2012 at 03:13 AM
PigmyWubba
A new update! all i did was try to balance it a bit more but i know somewhere along i did something horrific so find it and then point and laugh please.

04-23-2012 at 03:41 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Very interesting use of greckles. I want to say that it's possible to get the short sword very early on, without having to kill more than one enemy at the first level.

By leaving the sword on the first level, and picking up a DEF GEM and a green key behind a trapdoor, and using the key to obtain another DEF gem, and killing the movable spider, and opening the greckle door to the DEF gem at the first level WWs only do nine damage. Then you can kill them all, obtian 20 greckles, and get the short sword. I wouldn't say the rest of the level gets trivial, but at least not very hard.

How do you get to the mirror and the DEF gem in 2N1W of the second level? Seems impossible the way the arrows are pointing.

I have 1360 HP to gather later on at the second level after defeating the elder spider. I also have one green key to pick up, and I have three yellow keys saved. I also have 300 HP at the first level. Of course much of the stuff I want to pick up is behind doors of some kind.
04-23-2012 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Thanks but i think its possible to get those by walking sideways on the force arrow let me check . . . Nope.

Well i fixed it to what was supposed to happen i also fixed that short sword thing slightly i still want to reward the better optimizer like you but you'll still need a fight to do it now.

04-23-2012 at 03:47 PM
PigmyWubba
I cant seem to replicate it Blond beard? Ill trust your word.(Because i suck at RPG)

04-23-2012 at 03:57 PM
PigmyWubba
Fixed a few bugs and redid a room in WD

04-23-2012 at 08:50 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
Blondbeard wrote:
Very interesting use of greckles. I want to say that it's possible to get the short sword very early on, without having to kill more than one enemy at the first level.

Alternately, you can kill the elder spider without ever getting the short sword or using the bomb. I assume the intent of the bomb is to go through the mud baby, get the short sword, and blow up the aumtlich, because there's no way to get out if you go in that way.

Anyway, I have completed (okay, I can't find a staircase out or anyplace I haven't been, so there's probably something I'm missing) the second level and have:

HP 687
AT 36
DF 47
04-30-2012 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Actually the goal was to get the G-hook and go back down to WD but that sections unfinished.

04-30-2012 at 09:00 PM
PigmyWubba
New update.

The second half of wraithwing domain is out but not finished the structure is down its not balanced yet and some of the choice puzzles are incomplete but its playable now...

The goal is to get the invisibility potion.

Also the score checkpoint for the boss is not there yet.

Sorry for the bad grammar im in a hurry.

05-03-2012 at 02:56 AM
PigmyWubba
After finding it was impossible i updated it i also finished the unfinished puzzles and added more health in for this update.

Next update ill work on making it balanced

05-04-2012 at 01:23 AM
PigmyWubba
I found that i accidentally put a open boss door and added 1 more puzzle should be the last update tonight

05-04-2012 at 02:03 AM
PigmyWubba
And To explain my bad grammar i have a disability called Asperger Syndrome and one of the effects of that is not very social.

I usually spend about 15 minutes tidying up a post.

05-04-2012 at 02:06 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Lair of the Monster (Second level!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com