Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently love about GatEB
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Things I currently love about GatEB (+1)  
Another DROD game! How can there be anything not to love? Time to dust off the old sword again.

I'm a big fan of the decision to limit the number of new elements. It's much more satisfying to have a few very well thought-out and carefully explored elements, than a deluge of new stuff that can sometimes seem forced and arbitrary like we got in TCB. I hope this is the pattern going forward.

04-12-2012 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
New DROD? Instant buy and absolutely no regrets!

Thanks for bringing us more DROD games! I really appreciate it!

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
04-17-2012 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stoney
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Can there be anything bad about a new DROD game? See. :)
04-18-2012 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3407
I love how the oremites have a faint checkerboard on them now.

04-25-2012 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Things I currently love about GatEB (+2)  
I am impressed that DROD has enough complexity that a flagship title's main level set can completely forgo such ubiquitous elements as potions and tarstuff yet still feel like a complete game. I also kept noticing how versatile just one of the 3 pressure plate types proved to be. Bravo, level designers.

Shallow water is an excellent addition to the architect's arsenal. I approve.

Gunthro seems a likable fellow. I enjoyed his voice acting and especially the lines that play when he is clicked on.

I also like the True Court fellow. As a character, not as a person.

While I didn't necessarily like that all of one minor character type tended to have the same voice, I enjoyed the generic "Rasarun soldier" voice.

Most of the new music is pretty nice, with the exception of I think one track I can't recall right now. One of the new tracks reminds me of the swamp music from Donkey Kong Country 2, which makes me happy.

05-28-2012 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: Things I currently love about GatEB (+3)  
$0.02 from someone who's 2/3 through KDD and finished GatEB (trying to get some sense into the DROD story, timeline and stuff)

I really loved the multiple dungeons. It always felt as if, should I be stumped in one of the X current dungeons, I could always go and try my hands on another one, then come back later for that "aaaah yes, stupid me" moment.

I appreciated the story a lot, even though it totally requires a DROD5 (or DROD6) to make things clear.

I liked a lot that
Click here to view the secret text

GatEB also feels like a great "expanded" tutorial (totally not an insult - I'm only saying that if I am to recommend a DROD to new players, GatEB it will be. I did so, in fact. It's MUCH better an introduction to the series than AE or KDD). Each dungeon is centered on one of the elements, and you're always learning something new or a nice new way to handle some problem.

Not only that, but the master level has devious puzzles too, as well as some of the normal dungeons, so in the end I didn't feel like I was playing Smitemastery 102. I could understand vets who would like this less than harder holds though (unless they tell me they'd rather go through KDD level 13 for the first time again).

I loved and hated

That's all I can see right now. All in all, as I've been only playing KDD2 and GatEB, it feels like a HUGE improvement as a whole, be it in gameplay, rendering engine, variety of elements, basically anything, with a few minor gripes - which I'll state in that other topic. CaravelNet has made leaps and bounds too between those two. Truth be told, going back to KDD2 (I mean, the standalone version) would feel like a chore. Seriously.

And that may be a bad point for newcomers who'd buy KDD standalone instead of KDD SmS. I wouldn't see them wanting to subscribe to CNet after KDD. Go ahead and try to download, say, 50 holds in KDD. I dare you. But this is on the border of unrelated rant, so better stop here. ;))

[Last edited by Hyeron at 05-28-2012 11:18 AM]
05-28-2012 at 10:47 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Things I currently love about GatEB (0)  
So probably the thing I love most about GatEB is the music. I wasn't that happy about the music in TCB, but GatEB takes the DROD-music back to JtRH level, probably even beyond :)

06-05-2012 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Things I currently love about GatEB (+2)  
Oh wow, I haven't posted here yet? And I wanted to.

I really liked the exploration aspect of the official hold. It was really fun to walk around Glum Cove/Tuenan Coast, searching for new puzzle levels. I'll note that I *hated* exploration part in TCB, so you guys did something right this time.

I liked that sometimes, returning to previously visited areas after progressing somewhat further in the main hold suddenly let me explore new rooms...

Shallow water and horns. Awesome, just awesome puzzle elements, they have lots of puzzle potential. Main hold and even Flood Warning definetily haven't explored their potential anywhere near fully. There're still awesome puzzles to be made. :)

Rock Giant Lair and Daskeros Tower: two puzzle levels I particulary enjoyed.

I like new styles. In particular "Forest" style.

And also, I really liked the ending.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-05-2012 10:50 PM]
06-05-2012 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
No tar, no mud, no gel.

06-09-2012 at 09:59 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
I thought the snow/rain/lightning effects were nicely atmospherical.

06-19-2012 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kallor
Rank Points: 277
Hooray, just returned from the Spider Cave :)

So here are the things I loved:
-the meta secret thing with the scrolls and the Spider Cave
-the Spider Cave
-the Wraithwing Swamp (maybe most people don't like wraithwings and yes they can be unpredictable but they can be very cool also)
-the Skondusk Marshes
-shallow water element (It really makes no sense at all, but on the other hand it has great puzzle potential especially with mirrors, so in that sense it's like oremites which I eventually learned to like)
-the few seconds in the Place of Whims where I explected to see new Second Sky game elements after misunderstanding a scroll
-the outside world connecting all the dungeons, like in Zelda games or something
-room 1S1E in the Place of Whims

And the things I didn't love (I know there's a separate thread but I just don't care :P):
-some of the portraits, especially Gunthro's
-clone puzzles and the new clone horn elements (I also don't like clones or clone potions), I guess the soldier horn is a little better (btw what is the difference between a soldier and a stalwart?)
-the demo is too easy and missing the good stuff too badly; it took me this long before I bothered to buy and play the game (I am really glad I did after all)
-wanted to see more new game elements (oh yeah I have an idea for a game element, let's see if I can find the appropriate thread)

EDIT: typos...

[Last edited by Kallor at 11-27-2012 02:14 PM]
11-27-2012 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
Kallor wrote:
-wanted to see more new game elements (oh yeah I have an idea for a game element, let's see if I can find the appropriate thread)

I'm probably re-iterating someone else's post, but, I think that this was done for first-timers to DROD, rather than more experienced players, so it didn't really make much sense to confuse the player with numerous amounts of game elements - like some thought TCB did (even I found the whole hold very easy, including the post-mastery content). There will hopefully be quite a few new game elements to TSS, so you and I will both be looking forward to that. :blush

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 11-27-2012 06:14 PM]
11-27-2012 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Thanks for the kind words about Gunthro, and I'm glad you enjoyed it in general.
navithmastero wrote:
There will hopefully be quite a few new game elements to TSS, so you and I will both be looking forward to that. :blush
I hear you! I just counted that at present we have twenty-three new features implemented for TSS, big and small. About half of these are new room elements of some sort. For these, we've prototyped them, tried out several puzzle rooms, refined their design as needed, and now will likely be making more rooms with these in earnest. This isn't the end -- we'll possibly end up with twice this much stuff by the time we're at the end of our initial design phase.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-28-2012 at 03:51 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
mrimer wrote:
Thanks for the kind words about Gunthro, and I'm glad you enjoyed it in general.
navithmastero wrote:
There will hopefully be quite a few new game elements to TSS, so you and I will both be looking forward to that. :blush
I hear you! I just counted that at present we have twenty-three new features implemented for TSS, big and small. About half of these are new room elements of some sort. For these, we've prototyped them, tried out several puzzle rooms, refined their design as needed, and now will likely be making more rooms with these in earnest. This isn't the end -- we'll possibly end up with twice this much stuff by the time we're at the end of our initial design phase.

This sounds amazing, thanks mrimer, totally looking forward to it! One of the things I liked about GatEB was the new styles, especially the music, whereas in TCB, all of those new elements really added some complexity to the field! Also, I know lots of people were against a new element per level, but I really loved this approach, so I personally hope this will be taken. :thumbsup

I'm sure the new stuff you're adding will be a real treat to use and puzzle over, looking at the advancements from game to game. :blush

You guys have also put a great deal of hard work into DROD, I just can't wait for the result of all that. :yes

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 05-23-2013 07:02 AM]
11-28-2012 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kallor
Rank Points: 277
Please don't be offended by me mocking Gunthro's portrait. I just meant it's not as polished as Beethro's or the Tuenan captain's or many other pieces of art, nothing wrong with his facial features :D

And ow wow like ten new room elements, I can't wait :w00t

11-28-2012 at 05:48 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Kallor wrote: -the demo is too easy and missing the good stuff too badly; it took me this long before I bothered to buy and play the game (I am really glad I did after all)

Okay, not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but since Kallor already mentioned it, here are my thoughts on the demo:

First, let me state that I almost fall into GaTEB's target group. I have admittedly played the JtRH demo a few years ago and thought it had some potential (not quite sure why I never bought the full version), but I then forgot about this game for a while, until I found FDROD earlier this year and thought "Hey, I know this game!".

Well, I then downloaded the GaTEB demo and played it though relatively quickly, but I wasn't quite convinced. Why? Well, the first two levels are simple but fun; I already knew the basics about roaches and I enjoyed these puzzles. But then, on the third level, I suddenly encountered these strange "soliders", whose movement seemed, let's face it, random. Sure, I figured out that they're trying to help me kill roaches in some way, but that's pretty much all I could understand about them. I thought that the great thing about this game concept was that every turn was predictable, so these soliders made me wonder if I was wrong about that (of course by now I know that their movement can be predicted, though I think I still haven't fully understood them). In fact, it was progressing in FDROD which eventually made me buy JtRH, and solving this game which made be buy TCB and GaTEB, too, and I'm sure glad I did so.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is great (though not as incredibly awesome as TCB), but I'm not sure if it was the best idea to use one of DROD's hardest to understand puzzle elements as an introduction to what this game is all about. Just my personal opinion, but maybe a thought that might be worth considering for the TSS demo.
11-29-2012 at 12:46 PM
mrimer
Yeah, this is good feedback, Luc. What you say makes sense. Glad you've enjoyed the games! We'll work on making the DROD:TSS demo contain puzzle elements that are easy to understand while still being engaging.

11-29-2012 at 04:39 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
That is a good point, Luc. For the TSS demo we'll have to keep in mind what distinguishes DROD - I think we'd want to pick some elements that are predictable but not so simple as roaches.

Also you hear that skell? FDROD wasn't a waste!

[Last edited by Jatopian at 11-29-2012 04:40 PM]
11-29-2012 at 04:39 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
I really liked having an entry-level game that I could complete in just under a week. It was a real boost to my confidence, lack of which has been the main reason I've given up on DROD before. Now I feel settled in again and ready to move on to JtRH.

The rooms were fun to solve and had a nice difficulty progression (with just one exception, for me -- Akandian Tunnels felt like it belonged much earlier in the hold). I liked the structure, with nice bite-sized levels concentrating on each element so that I wasn't on any one theme for too long. Good choices about which elements to include, as well; I liked the emphasis on soldiers and guards, and was very happy to see mimics and arrow rotators left out ;)

Shallow water is a very interesting and versatile new element. (Though I'm shocked that it doesn't have an entry in "Game Elements" in the in-game help!) In fact, the level themed on shallow water (Grotto Hideout?) was my favourite in the hold -- some lovely puzzles that were tremendous fun to solve.

The new styles are a great addition and fit in well alongside the old ones. (Hope we get them for RPG soon!) In terms of music, Forest was decent, on a par with the other styles; but Swamp and Beach were so good that I felt disappointed when it was time to leave one of their levels.

The storyline, voice acting and character avatars were all great as well. Really, there isn't much I didn't enjoy about this game :P

12-14-2012 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Welcome (back) to classic DROD, Nuntar! I'm sure I speak for the entire dev team to say we are encouraged to receive positive feedback about the design decisions that went into Gunthro. Congratulations on beating the game!

12-14-2012 at 02:49 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Resurrecting an old thread now that I *think* I've mastered GatEB.

Things I love:
- The title screen.
It is really neat that it does day time and night time. And I love the picture.
- The 'hub' concept.
If one section got too hard I could leave and try another section. Plus it was done it such a way that was not too much traipsing around going from section to section and not too much go to this place, now got this place, now go to the first place nonsense.
- Shallow water. Oh my, that was fun to play around in.

That's all.

03-19-2013 at 08:28 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently love about GatEB
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No