Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture by Hand Poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Architecture by Hand - Penwielder82
2Bluegrass Islands - brian_s6.63636363636361.4937887931959
Architecture by Hand - Penwielder
Average Vote 8
Standard Deviation 2

Bluegrass Islands - brian_s
Average Vote 6.6363636363636
Standard Deviation 1.4937887931959
Total Votes 11 100%
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
IP: Logged
icon Architecture by Hand Poll (+6)  
It's time to rate the Architecture by Hand contest entries! Woody Allen said that "Showing up is eighty percent of life," and indeed everyone who showed up this time wins a prize. But who gets the big prize, and who walks away knowing that their remaining twenty percent just didn't quite measure up?

You have two weeks to play the holds and vote. Guidelines are copied from the contest thread:

Submit your entry as a version 3.x .hold file. Contributions will be voted on by how your images contribute to the level.

I don't want to be too prescriptive here in order to keep options open for creativity. I'd like to provide some general suggestions as a way to jumpstart your inspirational process, but these are not hard and fast rules. Consider details such as artistic expression, creativity, and presentation in your voting. But, ultimately, it is you and all of the Caravel community that will decide what they like best out of the contest entries.

* You might consider how you could use your level's architecture for an interesting presentation of an image.
* Conversely, you might consider how to use images to make or present an engaging puzzle or room architecture.
* Think of ways to break boundaries we typically expect in DROD.
* The artistic merits of your images in and of themselves are not paramount. You don't have to be an artist to enter and win this contest! I'd discourage spending 20 hours drawing a beautiful, highly-detailed picture, but then just slapping it into an empty room and calling that a level.
* Factors such as level size, puzzle design and difficulty, and use of DROD game elements can potentially contribute to your work, but only to effectively show off the images you have included. By themselves, these factors should not be used in rating entries.
* Please only submit entries that adhere to the usual Caravel Forum standards.

The entries are posted below.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 03-02-2012 01:39 AM]
03-02-2012 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran

File: Architecture by Hand - Penwielder.hold (409.8 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Architecture by Hand Poll (+2)  
Architecture by Hand - Penwielder

03-02-2012 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran

File: Bluegrass Islands.hold (2.2 MB)
Downloaded 52 times.
icon Re: Architecture by Hand Poll (+1)  
Bluegrass Islands - brian_s

03-02-2012 at 01:39 AM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Comments: (only read after voting)

Click here to view the secret text

03-02-2012 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
must agree w/ da rogu3 above
03-02-2012 at 04:55 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Architecture by Hand Poll (0)  
Grrr, I wish the mac version could read the newer holds :~(

03-02-2012 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
You can check it at the top of the pool: Architecture by Hand - Penwielder - Poll will close in 1 week, 3 days

03-04-2012 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Architecture by Hand Poll (+2)  
My thoughts follow.

Both entries were a lot of fun and showed real creativity!

Brian S:

Penwielder:

Loved every minute of both entries. :)

Now, back to reworking that damnable awards poll... :P

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-11-2012 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Fortunately, da rogu3 has obviated any need for me to post comments, because he pretty much summed it up.
03-13-2012 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
icon Architecture by Hand Winners! (+2)  
The people have spoken!

In first place: Penwielder's entry, featuring cleanly drawn rooms, pictographs, and some custom entities well-matched to the hold's design. Penwielder gets 100 bonus rank points and presumably a timely pick from the prize pile.

In second place: Brian_S's Bluegrass Islands, with some neat puzzles on an unexpected crayon background. Brian_S gets 50 rank points - don't spend them all in one place!

As for the rest of you bozos, I know there's still a ton of untapped talent among the local architects. If anyone feels so inspired later, here's the original room template, and here's the Architecture board. Why not try it out for a secret room or two, if not a full hold?

03-16-2012 at 04:48 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Congratulations to the entrants and winners with their beautiful creations. I've awarded prizes.

Penwielder, please choose a prize from the Prize Pile at any time.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-16-2012 at 01:32 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I expected to come in second as soon as I saw what I was up against, congratulations Penwielder.

I am curious as to what would have happened if I had not entered. I only got access to a scanner a week before the deadline so I admit my entry was a bit of a last minute thing. The scanner really did not like the green I used for my grass - it kept coming through as blue.
03-16-2012 at 04:22 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
[…] because Irfanview is better even at basic stuff like interpolated image resizing.
I highly doubt that, because Irfanview absolutely stinks at resizing images. Sure, it may have a fancy interface, but there are some fundamental flaws in its scaling algorithms.

Okay, I may be nitpicking, as the average user is not going to notice, but still…

03-16-2012 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote: I've never had any problems with it, whereas I remember Photoshop 6 used to create god-awful artifacts with all three of its filters.
Ugh, seriously, Photoshop 6? It was 12 years ago.

03-17-2012 at 03:45 PM
Jutt

File: lighthouse compare.png (338.2 KB)
Downloaded 399 times.
icon Re: Architecture by Hand Poll (+4)  
Ok, it's not as awful as it used to be, as I checked the latest version (the one I had was a few months old) and it resolved one of the three resampling issues I knew of. But to support my claims, here's why its scaling implementations are/were bad (secreted for length).

I should add that despite its shortcomings when it comes to image scaling, Irfanview is still an awesome image viewer that I use every day. I've just learnt not to rely on its editing capabilities.

[Last edited by Jutt at 03-17-2012 05:54 PM]
03-17-2012 at 05:53 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
brian_s wrote:
I expected to come in second as soon as I saw what I was up against, congratulations Penwielder.
Thanks!

brian_s wrote:
I only got access to a scanner a week before the deadline so I admit my entry was a bit of a last minute thing.
I was fairly rushed on mine too. In contrast to the absurd amount of double-checking and polishing I generally like to do on my holds and contest entries, my entry on this occasion was the product of about three days of little other than work on it, after which I didn't even look at it again until voting commenced. If I had played through it a few more times, I might have noticed, for instance, that the northern part of the second box room has solutions related to movement order. (There's also one other noteworthy unintended solution in the hold, but thankfully it doesn't look like such to anyone but me.)

One thing I applaud you for is that your entry is closer to the original spirit of the contest in that you actually drew the rooms by hand on real paper. It's probably much harder to design puzzles that way, especially considering that you'd have to rescan it and all every time you want to change something.

A couple of people have told me that I should turn my entry into a hold, probably expanded. I won't say much about that just now, but it's a consideration.

Also, I've claimed my prize. Since it wasn't from Caravel this time, I'll go mention it now in the corresponding topic (for future clarity).

03-19-2012 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
Can you recommend a lightweight (as in, not anything Adobe has ever made in all of human history) image modification software for nothing more than resizing and color adjustment?
Well, if you're looking for a GUI based application, then no, not really.

I've done some research on resampling algorithms, and learned to detect common flaws in their implementations. But once I discovered that even highly regarded software like GIMP manages to screw up image resampling (not joking here :(), I kind of lost all hope in finding any good resampling software. So, nowadays I use some command line tools I coded myself, but I don't know if that's your thing.

To be honest though, I haven't really put much effort into my searches. I'm perfectly happy with my own programs, but maybe there's a hidden gem somewhere on the internet that does what you want. I'd probably start at Wikipedia and dig through the "comparison of image viewers/editors" pages, hoping to find an appropriate open source tool.

03-21-2012 at 09:57 PM
Dischorran
I go to ImageJ when Photoshop isn't doing what I want. But then, "what I want" usually involves doing weird things with 16-bit grayscale raw data TIFFs, so take that as you will.

03-21-2012 at 09:57 PM
Jutt
Sure, why not. I've sent a registration request.

It's getting late now, so I'm going to write up a more detailed report tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for your post on the Irfanview forum.

03-21-2012 at 11:36 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Jutt wrote:
Sure, why not. I've sent a registration request.

It's getting late now, so I'm going to write up a more detailed report tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for your post on the Irfanview forum.
I've posted the issue here.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-22-2012 at 09:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture by Hand Poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com