Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mosaic Frost (TCB room style mod)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged

File: MF 4.jpg (128.2 KB)
Downloaded 1483 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+7)  
Here's a screenshot:

What's new is some minor polishing to several graphics (including floors and walls). The big change is the pits, which I think looks much better now.

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: Oops, new page, see previous page for main post.

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-22-2011 01:21 PM]
09-22-2011 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+3)  
Ooh, new pitsides—I like them :).

I viewed it with my style testing hold and found only one problem: the transparency for the water reflections is broken. Other than that it looks very nice and polished.

I don't know how much trouble your laptop is giving you, but I can easily fix the reflections issue for you and then post a dmf.

09-22-2011 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (0)  
Jutt wrote:
Ooh, new pitsides—I like them :).

I viewed it with my style testing hold and found only one problem: the transparency for the water reflections is broken. Other than that it looks very nice and polished.

I don't know how much trouble your laptop is giving you, but I can easily fix the reflections issue for you and then post a dmf.
That would be great. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, I just can't get the style to appear as exportable for some reason.

Thanks for finding the transparency issue, if you don't think fixing it is a problem I say go for it :)

I'll throw some points at you.

09-22-2011 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt

File: Mosaic Frost.dmf (250.6 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+3)  
Very well then. Here's the dmf, with fixed transparency.

09-22-2011 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (0)  
Great! First post updated!

09-22-2011 at 06:37 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
From the screenshot, your walls look a little... two-dimensional.

09-22-2011 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Jatopian wrote:
From the screenshot, your walls look a little... two-dimensional.
Hmm, yeah. As it is, the wall edge graphics is what I'm least happy about. Maybe I'll change them some day.

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-23-2011 11:56 AM]
09-23-2011 at 11:55 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Could we ever see a finished version of this? The new style is too awesome for it to be lost in the mists of history.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-17-2012 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Hmm, I don't know to be honest. At this point it is very close to finished, and maybe I should just consider it finished. I would maybe like to make some tweaks to the tiled floor image and the wall side graphics, but that should be all.

I haven't had DROD working on my computer for some time. I'll need to re-download it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I did have plans on using this style in a hold, but there were other projects and I never had a clear vision of what hold I wanted to make, so the idea kind of fizzled out.

If you would like to use this style in a hold of yours that would honestly make me very happy (No pressure ;)). In that case I promise I will get around to polishing those last pieces as soon as possible.

01-19-2012 at 04:32 PM
Rheb

File: MF 5.jpg (194.5 KB)
Downloaded 959 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (+7)  
Erhm, ok, so this deserves one more update.

I've made the walls much more pretty, (finally figured out how wall images actually fits together). And I've made the floors lighter (Voligner style). They're no as scary anymore, but they makes the playing much more pleasant for the eye.

Here's a screen:

This should be the final update I make on this, as I'm working on a hold containing the style :)

05-05-2012 at 11:29 PM
Jatopian
Very nice, it looks on par with some of the GatEB styles.

05-05-2012 at 11:33 PM
Jutt
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (+1)  
Wow, I'm impressed with the improvements. The walls stand out much better than before and the lighting on them looks more natural. The reduced contrast between the dark and light floor tiles was a smart move too.

Alltogether the style is more balanced and definitely comparable to the official styles. I think I even like it better than the three new GatEB styles.

05-06-2012 at 12:44 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jutt wrote:
Wow, I'm impressed with the improvements. The walls stand out much better than before and the lighting on them looks more natural. The reduced contrast between the dark and light floor tiles was a smart move too.

Alltogether the style is more balanced and definitely comparable to the official styles. I think I even like it better than the three new GatEB styles.
Agreed!

I was never originally convinced that a puzzle needed styling but I'm glad to have been proven that the 2 concepts can co-exist. In any case, Rheb, this is really excellent and I look forward to seeing it in use!
05-07-2012 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb

File: MF 6.jpg (240.8 KB)
Downloaded 827 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (+5)  
Ok, so I've been building a lot using the style lately, and I've realized that while the elements in the latest update definitely was an improvement, they still didn't fit perfectly with the other darker and less colorful elements of the style. I've made some tweaking, and I'm pretty happy with the results. :)

Hopefully no more updates from now on, things are looking pretty good I think.

[Last edited by Rheb at 06-08-2012 04:17 AM]
06-08-2012 at 04:17 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...And suddenly I realize why DROD's graphics bug me ever so slightly.

You're looking at the room, theoretically at an angle, and most certainly not top-down.

And yet, the floor textures are, and I don't have an easy solution to this, facing you directly, topdown.

Huh.
06-08-2012 at 09:42 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Banjooie wrote:
...And suddenly I realize why DROD's graphics bug me ever so slightly.

You're looking at the room, theoretically at an angle, and most certainly not top-down.

And yet, the floor textures are, and I don't have an easy solution to this, facing you directly, topdown.

Huh.

One word: All Legends of Zelda.
Four words were intended

06-08-2012 at 10:35 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
Squish the floor textures vertically to half their height, then copy the result below itself to make it fill the same room as before.

06-08-2012 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb

File: Orbs.png (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 706 times.
Another update for this style is up (who'd have thought...)

The dmf-file and all the textures can be downloaded from my two first posts in this thread.

+ I've returned the blue orbs to the mod (I'm not quite sure why I ever removed them in the first place).

+ I've tweaked the hard walls and the crumbly walls so clusters of them looks better together.

+ I've changed the music from the default City Style to exotic Architects Edition music (This will require that you already have the AE Style Mod installed as Mosaic Frost doesn't come with the actual music files. The AE-mod can be downloaded here).

Also, as requested by Nuntar, here are my orbs in the regular yellow shade (there is little difference between normal orbs, but the broken and cracked ones look somewhat different). I suppose you can use these as a mod if you want them to replace the regular DROD orbs, but I don't know how :blush

[Last edited by Rheb at 05-09-2014 10:36 PM]
05-09-2014 at 10:36 PM
Rheb
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (+2)  
Hmm, actually it turns out the music only works for me as I have the following lines in my DROD.ini file:

Mosaic FrostAmbient=thespaces.ogg
Mosaic FrostAttack=fortune.ogg
Mosaic FrostExit=simple.ogg
Mosaic FrostPuzzle=delusions.ogg

These settings did not get included as I exported the .dmf of the style though. I can't manage to find any documentation on this; is there something special you need to do to include music settings in a custom style?

05-10-2014 at 11:40 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
EDIT: Schik tells me he may have found a way to fix this :thumbsup

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-17-2014 05:17 PM]
05-15-2014 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Mosaic Frost (+3)  
I added in the music. If someone else can test it out I'd appreciate it.

07-18-2014 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
It works beautifully.

Thanks!

I removed the attachment from my first post to avoid confusion.

07-18-2014 at 06:08 PM
Jatopian
Perhaps you could further reduce confusion by attaching the current version to the first post.

07-18-2014 at 09:41 PM
Schik
Done. Moved it to the first post.

07-19-2014 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
This is added to the server, you can now download it in-game (or it will be downloaded automatically if you import a hold that uses it and are on CaravelNet).

07-29-2014 at 05:58 AM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
This is a really nice looking style, but the blue orbs kind of bug me. After playing with it for a while, I think I understand why. It's always sort of made sense to me that orbs are the same color as the type of door they control and, while I like the look of the blue orbs, they really obscure the relationship. It might look nice if the door color was changed to match the orbs (the yellow doesn't go very well with the rest of the style anyway), but that might make things too confusing.
07-30-2014 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mosaic Frost (TCB room style mod)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com