Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mosaic Frost (TCB room style mod)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged

File: Mosaic Frost.dmf (18 MB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mosaic Frost (+2)  
---My frozen style that took forever to develop---

Mosaic Frost

A zip containing all the tile images can be found here. They are all in public domain, so use them for whatever you like.

About the creating of the style:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Rheb at 07-19-2014 10:41 AM]
09-25-2009 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+2)  
I really like this style and I'd say it's definitely worth finishing. Here some comments to encourage you.

Most of the textures look fine to me. I didn't really mind the dirt floor, though the grass texture seems somewhat pixelated.

The darkness is indeed a bit of a problem. Since almost everything is on the dark side, I suggest brightening some of the graphics considerably, in particular the floor images. It helps if they clearly contrast with the darker walls.
Another trick you could try is making the wall edges stand out a bit more. Currently the walls are bordered with hardly distinguishable purple-ish lines. If you make them quite a bit darker, possibly even black entirely, the walls may look more pronounced and contrast better with the floors.
One thing that struck me as a bit odd was the pitside gradient, which seems way too bright at the top. Maybe that's just because of the overall darkness of the current graphics, but perhaps it could be toned down a bit.

Regarding some of the objects not matching; this seems to be mostly a problem for the arrows and the ortho squares. Although they do look neat, they may be a bit too intricate, which clashes somewhat with the detailed textures of the floors, walls etc. Especially the ortho squares with their frilly edges are easily lost in the background detail.

At the moment I don't have any more specific ideas, but you can always try and experiment a bit yourself. Sometimes it requires several tries and guesses before you get something that works. Usually when I make a style I'm constantly switching between my image editor to make small tweaks and Drod to see how they work out in the game.

Also, out of curiosity, what image editing program did you use to make the style?

09-25-2009 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb

File: Mosaic Frost Tiles.zip (371.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+1)  
[EDIT: Added zip attachment of all graphics (public domain) to this post.]

Thanks! I'll give it a try! :)

Everything is created in a kind of old version of photoshop actually (I have to check if I have access to a newer version). It makes some things very difficult to draw, but I like working in photoshop.

[Last edited by Rheb at 05-09-2014 10:01 PM]
09-25-2009 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Ok, so after a lot of hard work I finally got this style good looking! I've made all the floors lighter, and I've made a new grass floor from scratch. I've also changed the pit sides, arrows and ortho squares to make them fit better. Thanks to Zch's wonderful Graphics Template I was able to create completely new walls.

I still think there's much that can be improved, but all this work has really given result, and that makes me happy!

There's still one big problem with the style though, I can't seen to get the secret and broken walls good. The normal walls are quite blurry, and if I change something, it's either not enough to make a distinguishable secret wall, or it makes the wall look ugly. I've left the secret and broken walls blank for now, hoping someone on the forum will have an idea of how i should make them.

09-26-2009 at 10:54 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (0)  
> photoshop
> pixel work

oh god what are you doing STOP THAT.

GraphicsGale. Free version.

I'LL EVEN LINK IT OR SOmething god I don't know.
09-28-2009 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Banjooie wrote:
> photoshop
> pixel work

oh god what are you doing STOP THAT.

GraphicsGale. Free version.

I'LL EVEN LINK IT OR SOmething god I don't know.
Well, somehow I managed to get this far. I might take a look at that program if I ever wants to do something else, but at this point when I got all the graphics done I doubt switching program would help. ;)

Anyway, I managed to put some cracks on top of the walls, and I think it looks pretty good. (The reason I wasn't sure if this would work was because of the thick outlines of the wall tiles, and the dark colors.)

So here you have it: The complete Mosaic Frost!

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-28-2009 08:34 PM]
09-28-2009 at 08:33 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
How about advertising your style by posting an in-game screenshot, like Jutt did with his Sandstone?

09-29-2009 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb

File: MF 1.jpg (162.7 KB)
Downloaded 833 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+4)  
Nuntar wrote:
How about advertising your style by posting an in-game screenshot, like Jutt did with his Sandstone?
Yeah, sure. Here you go!

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-28-2009 10:38 PM : Screenshot Updated]
09-29-2009 at 09:20 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oooh, nice.

Is that a blue orb, though? I could've sworn orbs were in GeneralTiles...

09-29-2009 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! :thumbsup Easily the most beautiful style we've had yet, I'd say.

Any chance of an RPG version?

09-29-2009 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
The style is still missing proper water refections of the walls. Fix that and you can call it finished.

Jatopian wrote: Is that a blue orb, though? I could've sworn orbs were in GeneralTiles...
I think JtRH distinguishes between general tiles and style moddable tiles. However, with a TCB style you can replace any tile you like.

09-30-2009 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Jutt wrote:
The style is still missing proper water refections of the walls. Fix that and you can call it finished.
:selftwak How could I forget that!? When looking at Zch's template I was really confused about what that tile actually was for, thanks.

Nuntar wrote:
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! :thumbsup Easily the most beautiful style we've had yet, I'd say.

Any chance of an RPG version?
Wow, thanks! :) I wouldn't rate it as good as any of Jutt's or Zch's styles, but there is a nice unique feeling to it.

I think it would be cool to have a RPG version of this style, but I have absolutely no idea how to make the tiles 44x44 without them becoming ugly...

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-30-2009 04:02 PM]
09-30-2009 at 03:48 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
To be wholly honest, I looked at the corridor leading to the staircase and thought, "Why is there a line of squid marching towards it?"

But other than that, my reaction on seeing it was "ooooooh". Very nice.
09-30-2009 at 06:21 PM
Jatopian
:lol Yeah, the curvy lines in the force arrows may be a bit too much.

09-30-2009 at 06:27 PM
Rheb
Tahnan wrote:
To be wholly honest, I looked at the corridor leading to the staircase and thought, "Why is there a line of squid marching towards it?"

But other than that, my reaction on seeing it was "ooooooh". Very nice.
Yeah, and there are other problems with the arrows too, they cover to much space so tiles under them will be a bit obscure. They're on my to change list. Other things I'm wondering if I should do something with are the dirt floor, the trapdoors, and the broken and secret walls, (the cracks tend to disappear in some of the tiles.)

09-30-2009 at 08:02 PM
Rheb

File: MF 2.jpg (79.1 KB)
Downloaded 1016 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+3)  
Ok, here's a screenshot of what I've been working on, new arrows, dirt floor and water reflections. (I think the arrows are better than the previous ones, and they match the new orthosquares better.)

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-13-2009 10:46 PM : Screenshot Updated]
10-05-2009 at 07:26 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
These are absolutely beeee-eautiful new floor and wall patterns. I just love the blend of blues and greens and purples. Room images in this style become works of art. They suggest the interior of an old, cold, dimly lit castle.

However, I won't install this style and play in it for the same reason why I won't install Chaco's Voids style. For me, game elements that affect how I play the room have to look consistent from style to style. Those force arrows don't have the shape that my brain instantly recognizes as "force arrow."
10-05-2009 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
These are absolutely beeee-eautiful new floor and wall patterns. I just love the blend of blues and greens and purples. Room images in this style become works of art. They suggest the interior of an old, cold, dimly lit castle.

However, I won't install this style and play in it for the same reason why I won't install Chaco's Voids style. For me, game elements that affect how I play the room have to look consistent from style to style. Those force arrows don't have the shape that my brain instantly recognizes as "force arrow."
Hmm, I see what you mean, there are some graphics in Drod that I don't think quite fits, like the tokens. But now that I've gotten used to them, I wouldn't like to see them completely changed. If it turns out these arrows don't work as good as I had hoped, I might run with the regular shape.

10-05-2009 at 08:22 PM
Jatopian
Same for the blue orb, no? I could see changing the graphic a little, maybe the cracked orb could be cracked due to ice, but it's blue.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 10-05-2009 11:01 PM]
10-05-2009 at 11:00 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
If I had the authority, I would put this style on the unofficial styles page with Rheb's permission for everybody to enjoy because it's that awesome looking.

However, I do not have the authority. Therefore, the best I can do is give a hearty recommendation for its publication.

Some comments on the style itself:

The flooring made of circles and has a lot of lights (they could be wall lights) is excellent. Although it has little contrast to the other floor types it can be adjacent to, it has great contrast to the walls. It can also gives the entire room a mood different from one with another floor type. Since that's the whole point of multiple floorings in game, very well done!

Wall mosaic is cool. Doesn't seem to fit in with the concept of frost, but it would be too overwhelming if it did. The brown seems to work well with the rest of the style. Nice!

The stair tiles have a fine texture. That sort of thing isn't always easy to accomplish and this texture is very good. Good light gradients.

Blue orbs? Any change from the routine yellow orb of literally every other style is welcome. What will you do for cracked and broken orbs? Aside from that, excellent!

The force arrows are probably the worst thing about this style even though they still look cool. They don't match too well with the rest of the style and like CSR said, it would probably take quite some time to register as a force arrow for some people and even longer to cure that waiting period of registering. That's not good for any element in the game. I'm glad it's on your change list.

On a scale from one to ten (ten being mind-blowing), this room style would be a nine to me. Nine is dazzling. An art critic would give you good marks for this beautiful style. If this is your first room style, don't give up! You have the gift!

tl;dr: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
10-05-2009 at 11:32 PM
Rheb

File: MF 3.jpg (44.3 KB)
Downloaded 824 times.
icon Re: Mosaic Frost Room Style (+4)  
Thanks 12th! :)

I've given it some thought, and realised that normal shaped arrows probably is the best way to go. Here's a screenshot with the new arrows, and also the broken and cracked orbs.

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-28-2009 10:37 PM : Screenshot Updated]
10-06-2009 at 07:41 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Very nice cracked and broken orbs! The force arrows look like "Force Arrows" and work well on all the tiles you placed them on in the example. Is the tile in the middle of the eight force arrows an orthogonal square? If so, nicely done. I would be interested in seeing how one of the ortho squares singular would interact with ortho squares plural. In other words, what would a 2x2 square of these tiles look like? 3x3?

Good work so far. You deserve another one of these: :thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
10-06-2009 at 08:04 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hey! Nice arrows!
10-06-2009 at 08:42 PM
Nuntar
The new arrows are an excellent addition to the style. I want to see the RPG version more than ever now!

10-06-2009 at 09:14 PM
GigaClon
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
The rar at the top still has the old arrows in it. Also can you post it in a zip file, its a pretty common format. Also where is this unofficial styles page?
10-12-2009 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
GigaClon wrote:
Also can you post it in a zip file, its a pretty common format.
While I agree with you about ZIP I'm surprised that there still seem to be some packers out there that can't handle at least unpacking RAR files - the source code for the unpacker is free (as in beer), after all...

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-12-2009 08:41 AM]
10-12-2009 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
GigaClon wrote:
The rar at the top still has the old arrows in it.
Sorry about that. The style is now updated! I made a final effort to make the dirt floor look better, and the secret and broken walls. :)

10-13-2009 at 11:45 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Looking good! The only thing I'm still a bit unsure about are the trap-doors. It's hard to instantly recognise them as such. If you have a hold you have used while testing you might want to upload that for us to watch.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 10-14-2009 06:50 AM]
10-14-2009 at 06:48 AM
Rheb
Blondbeard wrote:
Looking good! The only thing I'm still a bit unsure about are the trap-doors. It's hard to instantly recognise them as such. If you have a hold you have used while testing you might want to upload that for us to watch.
I'm not sure if I agree that's really a problem, once you understand they are trapdoors they're not hard to distinguish or anything. Maybe I could have a more symmetrical pattern on them (as most other trapdoors do), but I don't think I want to change blue tones. I have a hold where I tested the style, but it's a real mess. I haven't really done any playable rooms in the style, maybe I'll do that sometime.

Edit: Hmm, I just realised that I didn't really like the trapdoors either. I've updated everything with new trapdoor graphics.

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-28-2009 10:27 PM]
10-15-2009 at 03:05 PM
Rheb

File: Tiles.rar (397.3 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
I totally forgot that I had an update for this that I never got around to implement.

Well, that was one computer ago, and now all I've got left is the backup. My laptop refuses to cooperate, so it'd be great if anyone of you nice folks would be kind enough to compile it into a DROD Media File and post it here so that I can update the main post.

Also, this thread should probably be moved to development, now that it's not a help request anymore.

09-22-2011 at 01:17 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mosaic Frost (TCB room style mod)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com