Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (A multiple question poll)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more?
I´m all in for the classic DROD Games
I love em both, they are both unique in their own way
I prefer DROD RPG
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Stoney
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
IP: Logged
icon Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (+1)  
I´d like to know from you which type of gameplay you prefer. Do you enjoy the hard and large puzzle rooms of the classic DROD Series, or does the new and unique style of the RPG series fit you more? Or do you even love em both?

[Last edited by Stoney at 04-03-2009 11:24 PM]
04-03-2009 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (0)  
I see them both as very different games strategy-wise. As a Drod optimiser, I don't feel my skills transferable so voted for Classic Drod.
04-03-2009 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
I also picked Classic DROD,
I'm stuck in DROD RPG and probably need to start over again.
And I can't wait for the new SMS to come out.
(checking forum as much as I can, just in case...)

04-04-2009 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tonyk
Rank Points: 42
I suppose the more 'trial-and-error' puzzling approach of DROD:RPG didn't really appeal to me. My favourite DROD puzzles are the classic 'lynch-pin' ones - they're the most rewarding.

That being said, I also didn't manage to get very far in RPG either (Rule 5 I think?).

[Last edited by tonyk at 04-04-2009 01:23 AM]
04-04-2009 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
tonyk wrote:
I suppose the more 'trial-and-error' puzzling approach of DROD:RPG didn't really appeal to me. My favourite DROD puzzles are the classic 'lynch-pin' ones - they're the most rewarding.
I agree fully with that statement but I can see players who excel at RPG and the original game from which it was inspired which means there's probably some strategy to it. It's definitely not a strategy I've worked out though so does seem like trial-and-error to me...

(I'm stuck on Rule 6 but stopped playing at that point)

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-04-2009 02:30 AM]
04-04-2009 at 02:29 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I always love me a good first place in Classic DROD. Plus, I've developed some skill at the game, which doesn't truly transfer to the optimization of finite categories.

Classic seems more logical, and RPG more exploratory.

What is worrisome to me, though, is the current poll totals. No lovers of RPG? Advertising? Are they off in their own section of the forum? What's up with that?

04-04-2009 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I like the RPG. I also like classic DROD. I'm pandrod.
04-04-2009 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
I much prefer RPG, although I've recently finished (not mastered) KDD and have to say I actually enjoyed hacking away at all that tar more than anything else.
04-04-2009 at 04:32 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (+1)  
Lamkin wrote:
...and have to say I actually enjoyed hacking away at all that tar more than anything else.
You are a sick sick man.
04-04-2009 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Lamkin wrote:
I much prefer RPG, although I've recently finished (not mastered) KDD and have to say I actually enjoyed hacking away at all that tar more than anything else.
I think you might enjoy tar time tar caves and tardustrial park. I think larrymurk also did a hold, but I can't recall it off the top of my head.
04-04-2009 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
@noma and NiroZ:
Yes and thank you, respectively.
:fun

[Last edited by Lamkin at 04-04-2009 10:22 AM]
04-04-2009 at 09:00 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
/me prefers the classical things, i cannot get the hang of DROD RPG, the puzzles are not my style. :huh how can u solve the puzzle if you don't even see all of it!?? :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh
04-04-2009 at 11:27 AM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I agree with 13th slayer. Probably my LAST choice I'll ever make from the Prize Pile will be RPG, after CaravelNet and every single Smitemaster's Selection.

04-04-2009 at 12:19 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
I voted for classic DROD, because I actually can build rooms in it (what I can do in RPG doesn't really count as regular architecture) but I like to play both just about equally.
04-04-2009 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I like RPG, its' powerful scripting, but still... I love playing and trying to optimise rooms in usual DROD.

So, I like normal DROD more.
04-04-2009 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Mainly I'm just bad at RPG.
04-04-2009 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (+2)  
zex20913 wrote:
What is worrisome to me, though, is the current poll totals. No lovers of RPG? Advertising? Are they off in their own section of the forum? What's up with that?
Comparison of DROD 3 with RPG 1? I'm strongly in the classic DROD camp, but AE vs. RPG would be a lot closer. Closer yet if user-made holds were removed from AE to match the current state of the RPG.

04-04-2009 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4596
I voted for the RPG, naturally. I don't know what it is about DROD, but I've just never been able to get any good at it, and because it's a puzzle game and I feel that as an intelligent person I should be able to get it, it just gets more and more frustrating, especially with all the new elements, the exponential rise in the number of possible interactions, and the sheer amount of knowledge required. To give just one trivial example, glancing through H&S recently I came across a reference to "that well-known Slayer push trick" or something like that. It's old news, so we assume everyone knows it. (This isn't a complaint about the people posting in H&S; of course they don't want to waste time explaining the same manoeuvres a thousand times.) There are now thousands of manoeuvres, interactions and exceptions you have to learn before you can even talk the same language as the other DROD players, and it's just depressing.

I love the RPG because it's really addictive, the way you can get so far, get stuck, feel there must be something obvious you're missing so you can't resist going back and giving it just one more go. And the sheer satisfaction of finally being able to give a real beating to an enemy who had ten times all your stats the first time you encountered him :) Oh, and the smaller room size makes architecture so much more enjoyable, while the larger tile size really makes the DROD graphics come into their own. I can't get enough of this game :)

04-04-2009 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stoney
Rank Points: 39
At the moment i´m more sucked into the classic DROD Games to be honest, but that doesnt mean that RPG is bad at all. It´s very unique, and manages to give the whole Gameplay a huge twist. To be able to judge this fully, i´d have to play it more which i will do soon. But i´ve seen enough to say that it´s fully worth my time and effort, its a nice game.

I hope Caravel puts up Highscore Options for RPG until then, that would be a huge benefit for the players.

[Last edited by Stoney at 04-05-2009 01:39 AM]
04-05-2009 at 01:36 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
NiroZ wrote:
I think larrymurk also did a hold, but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

Museum of Ooze?

As for my preference, I prefer classic DROD, because it is more oriented around puzzles and lynchpins and planning ahead within a particular room, and there is less trial and error. I also think that it is more unique because it isn't based so much around collectibles or HP like a lot of games are. Though RPG does have the advantage of being able to move using the mouse.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

04-05-2009 at 03:27 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
I voted "I love em' both, they are both unique in their own way". Because i think that they are both great fun and hard to choose between. :)

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
04-05-2009 at 05:15 AM
tonyk
Rank Points: 42
Syntax wrote:
tonyk wrote:
I agree fully with that statement but I can see players who excel at RPG and the original game from which it was inspired which means there's probably some strategy to it. It's definitely not a strategy I've worked out though so does seem like trial-and-error to me...

(I'm stuck on Rule 6 but stopped playing at that point)

I too would like to have continued further into the game. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

04-05-2009 at 05:31 AM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
I picked both games. The classic DROD relies on element interaction, timing and lynchpins, whereas RPG is a huge resource management puzzle with some heuristics thrown in on the first walkthrough. I enjoy them both very much.

As for "trial-and-error" claims, yes there are some things one can't predict, but there are also many that can be. Having a spreadsheet with attack targets open in the background helps to reduce guessing a lot.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 04-05-2009 05:58 AM]
04-05-2009 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Truly I am shocked to agree with 13th Slayer, yet I do.

04-05-2009 at 06:29 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (+1)  
DROD RPG difficulty: optimizing route

DROD difficulty: you aren't using enough addons to know the snake movement and you're unaware of an obscure element interaction nobody cares about

I admit freely I was skeptical of this RPG thing but the more I see pumped out in the Holds board the more I'm liking the RPG instead.
04-05-2009 at 06:49 AM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I am starting make new hold with original DROD,because you can make bigger rooms and there is lots of good graphical mods avaible for it! *coughneatherisplayerroleinmyholdcough*

RPG is awesome but its too hard for dummies like me. :D I think classic suits me more.
04-05-2009 at 07:04 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I like classic DROD better than RPG; optimizing in RPG is fun to work out, but by nature of the game, it becomes central in most holds. It makes each RPG hold very similar; it all comes down to route optimization.

DROD allows for much more variety in puzzles. However, it does take a long time to get good in DROD. It is a difficult game. Only just recently have I realized that I'm not the only person who has been here for years and still can't get through holds like Entropy and Reflections.

I will say, though, that the added scripting features in RPG are fantastic, and allow for lots of unique puzzles that are difficult to make in DROD. Through the use of scripting, RPG can be given more variety so that not every hold is about route optimization. Thanks to default character scripts and such, DROD RPG can more or less be looked upon almost as a game engine.

But unfortunately, once all that scripting stuff gets added to classic DROD, the RPG will have little left to offer for me.

04-05-2009 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
mxvladi wrote:
its'

Sorry.
04-05-2009 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
zwetschenwasser wrote:
I agree with 13th slayer.
w00t! :w00t :-O
04-07-2009 at 10:44 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Banjooie wrote:
DROD RPG difficulty: optimizing route

DROD difficulty: you aren't using enough addons to know the snake movement and you're unaware of an obscure element interaction nobody cares about

I admit freely I was skeptical of this RPG thing but the more I see pumped out in the Holds board the more I'm liking the RPG instead.

I agree with the banjoman. That, and scripting. Woo scripting.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-08-2009 12:57 AM]
04-08-2009 at 12:57 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Classic DROD or DROD RPG? Which one suits you more? (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com