Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East (0)  
Please give me a hint or two on how to deal with the three Aumtlich that are released at the same time (from the left). I know how to use the wraithwing to delay one of them, but that isn't enough to deal with the two remaining ones, no matter where I push the 'wing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. Here's a minor spoiler:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pekka at 03-27-2008 12:55 PM]
03-27-2008 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
icon Re: Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East (0)  
Pekka wrote:Here's a minor spoiler:

I'm guessing the hint refers to
OK, I'll bite . . . how? Or, for that matter, how can the wraithwing be placed to interfere with two aumtlichs?

Thanks for any hints -
04-04-2008 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2387
key-smiter wrote:
Pekka wrote:Here's a minor spoiler:

I'm guessing the hint refers to
OK, I'll bite . . . how? Or, for that matter, how can the wraithwing be placed to interfere with two aumtlichs?

Thanks for any hints -

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-04-2008 05:14 AM]
04-04-2008 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Um, yeah . . . I considered this. I can save one of the first two aumtlichs for later, but this leads to being trapped by four of these things, not three.

Or, is there some odd movement attribute of aumtlichs that can force the leftmost three into some useful lineup? If so, I haven't found that either -
04-05-2008 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
key-smiter wrote:
Um, yeah . . . I considered this. I can save one of the first two aumtlichs for later, but this leads to being trapped by four of these things, not three.

Or, is there some odd movement attribute of aumtlichs that can force the leftmost three into some useful lineup? If so, I haven't found that either -

The maneuvering required to get this working is not particularly easy. However, what you need is something like this:

Josh

04-05-2008 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
It's worth noting that the intended solution for this room is easier and faster than the solution we've all been using.

04-05-2008 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
key-smiter
jbluestein wrote, in part:

Josh
This may be the root of my problem in this room . . . I've never been able to get the mobile aumtlich to freeze. I can suppose that I need to bring the blocking aumtlich around from behind the middle wall, but I've never been able to have it block and stay stuck both.
and CuriousShyRabbit wrote, in part:
It's worth noting that the intended solution for this room is easier and faster than the solution we've all been using.
My goodness. This sounds even more impossible.

So . . . is the center wall section even where I should be trying the aumtlich trick?
04-06-2008 at 12:13 AM
key-smiter

File: 1E.jpg (183.9 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
Still stuck . . . the best I can do with wraithwing positioning is shown in the uploaded screenshot. I'm guessing, as I asked before, that the aumtlich should be trapped behind the center wall - but in any event my ability to position the wraithwing around is very limited.

The room cannot be completed from here; I know that. At this point, though, where should the wraithwing be and how do I arm-twist that monster into being there? For that matter, although the upper and lower walls seem even less useful, is the center really where the shielding aumtlich is meant to be stuck?

Thanks -
04-12-2008 at 01:39 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2387

File: Diso_AA_Minimal_Art_1E_Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 111 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East (+1)  
key-smiter wrote:
Still stuck . . . the best I can do with wraithwing positioning is shown in the uploaded screenshot. I'm guessing, as I asked before, that the aumtlich should be trapped behind the center wall - but in any event my ability to position the wraithwing around is very limited.

The room cannot be completed from here; I know that. At this point, though, where should the wraithwing be and how do I arm-twist that monster into being there? For that matter, although the upper and lower walls seem even less useful, is the center really where the shielding aumtlich is meant to be stuck?

Thanks -

I think you could still possibly complete the room from that position. I attached my very inefficient demo where I maneuvered and maneuvered until finally freezing the aumtlich where I needed him. I do recommend checking out CSR's demo, it's much more elegant.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-12-2008 at 10:14 AM
key-smiter
Boy, this is sad . . . even armed with your demo, and trying what appears to be the same setup, I still end up with the last two aumtlichs in an unkillable position.

Maybe it's time for a step back before I leave this frustrating room for awhile - one of the earlier hints suggested that freezing an aumtlich with Beethro's sword. It's possible that I encountered "freezing an aumtlich with a sword" earlier and forgot about it. I understand how to immobilize an aumtlich with a mirror; how do you do the same trick with a sword?
04-12-2008 at 08:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East (+1)  
If you hold your sword perpendicular to an aumtlich's gaze (west or east for a vertical gaze, north or south for a vertical gaze, and such) then the aumtlich will freeze in much the same way it would as if it were facing a mirror.

Practice this trick a lot, I forsee many rooms in the future using it... or at least I remember at least one BoyBlue room also requiring this.

04-12-2008 at 08:56 PM
key-smiter
Thanks, that's what I thought . . . and it doesn't seem to work (at least in this room).
04-12-2008 at 09:20 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Do note that the aumtlich only considers if it should be frozen after it moves. Following its movement, the Aumtlich checks its gaze and determines whether or not it should be able to move on its next turn.

So, yes, you have to figure out where the Aumtlich will move and then place your sword where it will become frozen. Remember that monsters always behave the same across all rooms :)

04-12-2008 at 09:33 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Artful Architecture : Minimal Art : 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com