Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
junglejane
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (0)  
I can get three in the right place and the door does not open. Three what?? Am I looking to get four in the right place, perhaps?

And How and Where and Who..... Rudyard Kipling
07-10-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (+1)  
Yep, you need all four in the right place to solve the room.

It's really easy, though, since the code does not change no matter how many times you restart the room.

07-10-2007 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
junglejane
icon Re: The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (0)  
Chaco wrote:

It's really easy, though, since the code does not change no matter how many times you restart the room.

Thanks!!
How will I know when I have finished the game? My stats say 100% explored, but rooms show 349/356. I thought 3N was my last room and that I had left 0 unconquered.

07-10-2007 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
junglejane
Chaco wrote:

My screen does not show the colored squares I see on the H&S screen. Is it supposed to?

[Last edited by junglejane at 07-12-2007 09:55 PM]
07-11-2007 at 12:56 PM
junglejane
My game screen does not show the colored squares or 13 "swordless beethro's?" that are shown on the H&S screen. Is it supposed to? I don't have a clue what I am supposed to do with this room. I sure could use one.

07-11-2007 at 06:25 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (+3)  
In this room you are playing an old board game called Mastermind. I'm surprised more people haven't asked about it - I haven't played this game since I was a little rabbit, about 30 years ago! (Note that there are no "swordless Beethros" in this room. They just show up on the H&S screen because a lot of scripting is used to reproduce the game.)

In this game of Mastermind, you are playing the role of the decoder. You have to guess the code, i.e., guess four correct colors in the correct order. You guess by stepping on the four colored squares at the bottom of the screen. After stepping on these squares, the corresponding colors appear in the boxes on the left side of the screen. You have to step on the correct squares in the correct order. Some may be used more than once; others may not be used at all. You get 6 guesses. After each guess, you get feedback: how many correct colors did you guess, how many correct colors did you get in the correct places. This is shown in the boxes on the right hand side of the screen. Using this feedback, and your amazing powers of deductive reasoning, you can figure out the correct code!

After you enter the correct code, you get to kill the roach! (That's different from the original board game, but possibly an improvement.) :)

Room image:
Click here to view the secret text

07-12-2007 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (+2)  
As CSR explained, the "swordless Beethros" are the scripts used to make the game work, so you shouldn't see those when playing the game. If you don't see the colored squares, though...then you might not have one of the video options turned on in the Change Settings screen. I'm pretty sure it is "Alpha Blending" that needs to be checked to show light. If you've been playing through the entire hold without this turned on, then you've missed out on a lot of lighting effects in various rooms. Or perhaps you turned it off because you thought a room was too dark and never turned it back on again. Note that several rooms in the South of the Undercity have art that will only show up if you can see the lights...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-12-2007 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
junglejane
Oneiromancer wrote:
As CSR explained, the "swordless Beethros" are the scripts used to make the game work, so you shouldn't see those when playing the game. If you don't see the colored squares, though...then you might not have one of the video options turned on in the Change Settings screen. I'm pretty sure it is "Alpha Blending" that needs to be checked to show light. If you've been playing through the entire hold without this turned on, then you've missed out on a lot of lighting effects in various rooms. Or perhaps you turned it off because you thought a room was too dark and never turned it back on again. Note that several rooms in the South of the Undercity have art that will only show up if you can see the lights...

You are correct!!! I don't have my settings set for seeing the squares. That should make my life a lot easier!
I remember Mastermind. It was a great game. Thank you both so much for your help.

07-12-2007 at 12:54 PM
junglejane
Oneiromancer wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is "Alpha Blending" that needs to be checked to show light. If you've been playing through the entire hold without this turned on, then you've missed out on a lot of lighting effects in various rooms. Or perhaps you turned it off because you thought a room was too dark and never turned it back on again. .

Oh, WHAT THE GREB! I played the entire TCB with the Alpha Blending off..
I do believe that I have now completely finished. I loved it. I must admit, there were areas I doubt I could have made it through, without the great help I got on this forum. Thanks to all.

07-12-2007 at 01:47 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
I'm playing TCB 5.0, and I'm having difficulty unlocking the challenge in this room.
02-04-2016 at 03:25 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North (+2)  
You need to complete the room the first time you enter it. If you've already entered and exited the room, then "Room Start" on the Restore screen should work for you. (But first step on a checkpoint in another room so that you can easily get back to where you were.)

02-04-2016 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Ahh, for some reason "Room Start" didn't work for me. I restored to an even earlier state when this room is unvisited, and redoing it unlocked the challenge.
02-04-2016 at 08:10 PM
JLE
Rank Points: 46
Right, so I've solved the Mastermind challenge for the room.

But for some reason I have not been awarded the "Smitemastermind" challenge (associated with The Undercity: 3N) in the challenges list, nor as a Steam achievement.

How do I complete that challenge for either the in-game credit, or the Steam achievement?

(this is using the Steam version of TCB, as a downloadable content for the separate Steam sale of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder.)

[EDIT] Found the answer: I had to restore to an instance from before I had EVER entered this room (room appears dark or is not present at all on the mini-map), not entered and left it (room appears purple on the mini-map.) Initially I had failed the room, then left it, then re-entered... so I had to restore to the "Room Start" of the previous room, 3N1W.

[Last edited by JLE at 01-14-2020 02:06 AM]
01-14-2020 at 01:58 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : The Undercity : 3 North
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com