Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General (-2)  
I propose the following hypothesis:

1: Moderators are clever fellows who know how to move threads.

2: Posts that consist of 'plz to be hints/solutions kthx' aren't particularly constructive to the poster (who just wants to get his answer) nor the moderators (who can kind of tell, see 1)

Therefore: Instead of going 'OMG MAKE WHAT WITH THE HINTS/SOLUTIONS', we can act as if it were already in hints/solutions, and surely somebody with moderatorial powers will get Picard on us and make it so, yes?
11-28-2006 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General (+1)  
There is one problem with this:

People who post in General asking for hints probably won't be able to find Hints & Solutions, so it'll look like their thread's been deleted. This can probably be dealt with, though.

11-28-2006 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I've read Banjooie's post four or five times now, and I think I've finally understood about half of it.
11-29-2006 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General (+2)  
Several points:

- One, as Matt already said, if the post is just arbitrarily moved, the poster will not be able to find it.

- Two, similarly, it's not just about fixing individual posts, it's about educating new members of the community. Most, if not all, people who post responses to hint requests in general specifically do *not* go 'OMG MAKE WHAT WITH THE HINTS/SOLUTIONS', but rather A - provide the help needs, B - politely explain that this was not the right way to go about doing it and offer advice for the future. Your suggestion will work to the disadvantage of the new forum members more than it will help anyone.

- Three, Banjooie - you don't get to decide policies for the moderators. If any moderators had an issue with the way hint requests on the general board are handled, they would address it themselves. If you want to make a request that moderators take action here, phrase it as a request to the moderators, don't just assume that they will want to act the way you want them to and use that as justification to ordering around other people.

11-29-2006 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
I've read Banjooie's post four or five times now, and I think I've finally understood about half of it.
My interpretation:

Posts on the General Board which belong on the Hints and Solutions board should simply be moved by a moderator, rather than someone posting "This should be on the Hints and Solutions board instead".

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 11-29-2006 03:50 AM]
11-29-2006 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
The thrust of Banjooie's thesis:
When people ask for room-specific help on the General board (instead of on the Hints & Solutions board), instead of people replying to tell them to repost on H&S, they should instead just answer the request for help and meanwhile a moderator should move the thread to H&S.

"plz to be hints/solutions kthx" means "Please repost this in Hints & Soutions. Is that satisfactory? I am much obliged."

"OMG MAKE WHAT WITH THE HINTS/SOLUTIONS" means much the same thing.

Jean-Luc Picard is the Captain of the Enterprise in the television series 'Star Trek: The Next Generation', portrayed by Patrick Stewart. He is well known for saying 'Make it so' when concluding a set of orders to his crew.
Pictures

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-29-2006 04:00 AM]
11-29-2006 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Rabscuttle wrote:
Jean-Luc Picard is the Captain of the Enterprise in the television series 'Star Trek: The Next Generation', portrayed by Patrick Stewart. He is well known for saying 'Make it so' when concluding a set of orders to his crew.
Pictures
Since this topic has little of chance of being useful anyways, I feel no shame in taking it further off-topic. Take a peek here to see a Picard clip that will frighten you.

11-29-2006 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
11-29-2006 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
My interpretation:

Posts on the General Board which belong on the Hints and Solutions board should simply be moved by a moderator, rather than someone posting "This should be on the Hints and Solutions board instead".
The problem with doing this is that the person then tends to keep posting new topics to the General board, and will keep doing so for either the same room or for new rooms they have trouble with. Right now, I think it's best that we make known to the user that they need to post on the other board, and I don't see anything amiss with including a link to a Hints thread about the room in question. As a clueless newcomer to a forum, I would find information on both of these points quite helpful. Other new users who read such a thread in General would also then realize they need to post hint requests on the Hints board, and not in General. (duh, but people keep missing the obvious)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-29-2006 05:14 PM]
11-29-2006 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General (-1)  
mrimer wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
My interpretation:

The problem with doing this is that the person then tends to keep posting new topics to the General board, and will keep doing so for either the same room or for new rooms they have trouble with. Right now, I think it's best that we make known to the user that they need to post on the other board, and I don't see anything amiss with including a link to a Hints thread about the room in question. As a clueless newcomer to a forum, I would find information on both of these points quite helpful. Other new users who read this thread will also realize they need to post hint requests on the Hints board. (duh, but people keep missing the obvious)
I definitely agree. I was just pointing out how I interpreted Banjooie's post (which seems to be at least somewhat of a concensus) in reply to Tahnan's post implying he did not follow.

11-29-2006 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Ahhh. I was trying to read 'plz to be hints/solutions kthx' and 'OMG MAKE WHAT WITH THE HINTS/SOLUTIONS' as things newbies might say, as opposed to things experienced players might say.

And that Patrick Stewart thing was fantastic; thanks for linking it!
11-29-2006 at 07:07 PM
Mattcrampy
Patrick Stewart is genuinely classy.

I usually send a PM to the owner of a thread when I move it if I think they might be confused by it disappearing. I don't know if this is the best idea, but I think with our big red 'PM' link it's better than not saying anything.

11-30-2006 at 05:29 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The main problem with just any moderator moving a post to the Hints and Solutions board is that assigning a room image to the room is only easy to do if it is the official JtRH hold, for various reasons. If Schik were to make it possible for any moderator/admin besides him to easily set a room image for a room in any hold, then it wouldn't be such a big deal to move the thread and send the poster a PM. Except that we still prefer people post in previously existing threads. And Schik has many more important things to do so I wouldn't really want to bug him about this anyway. I'd rather have a "Having trouble with a DROD room? Try the Hints and Solutions forum!" title somewhere, and also maybe move that "Get Help For A Room" link to the upper left where it is more visible to a new person.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-01-2006 at 12:52 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
We could just disallow all posts with the word "stuck" in them and inform the poster to try again in the H&S thread where this word *is* allowed ;)
12-01-2006 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Syntax wrote:
We could just disallow all posts with the word "stuck" in them and inform the poster to try again in the H&S thread where this word *is* allowed ;)

Your post has been disallowed. Please try again on a different message board.

12-01-2006 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
So, our car got stuck in the mud yesterday, we had to pull it out... ;)

12-02-2006 at 02:40 AM
Mattcrampy
So, I've got this piece of wood stuck up my...

Hmm, that makes me want to have posts with stuck filtered out.

12-02-2006 at 04:52 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
So, I've got this piece of wood stuck up my...

Hmm, that makes me want to have posts with stuck filtered out.
Think of the poor people who will have to help you get it out!!! It ain't called Hints and Solutions for nothing mate.
12-02-2006 at 06:19 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
We could have it so that if a post has the words "stuck" or "can't get past" or "figure out", an image of a paperclip with big eyes appears and says, "it looks like you are asking for help to solve a room. Would you like me to help you with this?"

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 12-02-2006 07:02 AM]
12-02-2006 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
[off-topic]
Sorry, but AlefBet's post reminded me of an MS spoof (or is it?)

The guy types in:

Goodbye world,

I can't go on any lon...

And the clip appears with:
It looks like you're writing a suicide note. Would you like help?
* Use suicide template
* Grammar... Goodbye *cruel* world
* Save document as CSV

Made me laugh anyhows :)
[/off-topic]
12-02-2006 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Crazy thought re: Hints/Solutions posts in General
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com