Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<3456
Page 7 of 32
891011>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Well, since your the only snake in the pairing chamber it makes it a bit easier. :)
08-14-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Another question:
---E---
---B---
IIISEEE
-------
-------

(- =Wall, B =Box, I= Body, S= Head, E= Empty square)

If you give the command "jump" now. Will the snake jump over the box or will it just go forward all the time because there is no obstacle in front of him?? -_-

EDIT: Thanks to eytanz for telling me to use code tags :thumbsup

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-14-2006 04:26 PM]
08-14-2006 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
The snake goes forward. In this situation, no commands are removed from the list, because there's nothing in front of the snake.
08-14-2006 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Thanks!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

08-14-2006 at 04:20 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The command "jump" will not even be executed at that point. You can *only* give commands when there is something other than an empty space directly ahead of the serpent.

Also, you might want to use [code] tags to make your examples better formatted, like thus:

---E---
---B---
IIISEEE
-------
-------

Edit: I see Doom beat me to it.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-14-2006 04:21 PM]
08-14-2006 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Another thing...
WWWWW
WW.WW
ssSWW
WWBWW
WW.WW

In this situation, I think if you jump, you will move to the (snake's) right as opposed to the left. Correct?

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-14-2006 05:12 PM]
08-14-2006 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Yes.

08-14-2006 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, I just realised that, since Silver wisely decided to do that - with some more strategic maneuvers the snake can get into the next part. Not hard if you've solved some Jumping Snake Puzzles.

08-14-2006 at 05:15 PM
nabla
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
Oh well, I'm doomed. Mistook starting time 00:00 with 24:00. Stupid. :blush
08-14-2006 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
Silver posted a picture earlier of what happens if he leaves his snake to bump around without any commands being issued: it dies.

I've just been trying to work out whether it's possible for me to kill myself, but I don't think it is.

It seems that if only one of the two snakes makes it into the pair chamber, then there's a big advantage to entered lower down - ie. whatever commands you issue, you survive, whereas if you enter at the top, there are lots of ways of doing yourself in.

Is that true?
08-14-2006 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Stephen4Louise wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
Can we have a link to the snakes page somewhere at the top of the forum? The only way I see to get there is through the contest page. Not that this is bad, but the link would be better.

Why not add it as a favorite in your browser until the contest is over.

Doing this takes over my main forum favorite for some reason.

08-14-2006 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I think it would be nice if it showed how many players are going to die because it's pretty much the same thing. At least In the Pairing chambers.

08-14-2006 at 06:28 PM
eytanz
zex20913 wrote:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
Can we have a link to the snakes page somewhere at the top of the forum? The only way I see to get there is through the contest page. Not that this is bad, but the link would be better.

Are you sure? The snakes page has the same title as the forum so it appears as "DROD forums" on the bookmark list but it should point to the right page. At least that worked for me in Firefox.

08-14-2006 at 06:29 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580

File: jump.png (2 KB)
Downloaded 255 times.
License: Public Domain
Hm. I thought I understood the rules, but it seems that, unless there's a bug in there somewhere, I missed something (or I entered wrong moves, but I don't think I did).

When I saw that Maurog had gone to sleep with the fishies, I scheduled a jump here:

Shouldn't my snake have jumped north ?

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 08-14-2006 07:24 PM]
08-14-2006 at 07:24 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I added a better title to the Snakes page.
I also added the time remaining until the next move is processed. It's just simple text, I didn't have time for some fancy javascript countdown or anything.

08-14-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Chris wrote:
Silver posted a picture earlier of what happens if he leaves his snake to bump around without any commands being issued: it dies.

I've just been trying to work out whether it's possible for me to kill myself, but I don't think it is.

It seems that if only one of the two snakes makes it into the pair chamber, then there's a big advantage to entered lower down - ie. whatever commands you issue, you survive, whereas if you enter at the top, there are lots of ways of doing yourself in.

Is that true?

Perhaps, but I don't think it's exactly difficult in either case if you're the only snake in the pair chamber. You can plan it out with no risk of interference.

Looking at my own situation, being the top (and therefore lower-numbered, first-acting) snake of two live snakes in the pair chamber, I've also got a pretty easy straight shot out of here :thumbsup , fingers crossed. My partner, on the other hand, has a much more convoluted set of options. Good luck, Syril Ram!

08-14-2006 at 07:32 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
trick wrote:
No. The adjacent tiles are checked in order: Front-Right-Left-Back. There was an empty tile on the right side of the snake, so that's where it should move.
08-14-2006 at 07:33 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
trick wrote:

rules wrote:
If you've specified jump ("J"), then your snake will try to jump with attempts made in this sequence: forward, clockwise, counter-clockwise, u-turn. If there is no obstacle to jump over in an attempted direction of movement, your snake will undramatically move just 1 square in that direction without passing over obstacle squares. If your snake can't jump in any of the four directions, then he'll die with no moves available to him.

since he could not jump forward, he tried to jump clockwise. finding no obstacle, he moved clockwise.

my situation was different - since I was approaching ABOVE the block, where I had "Jump" listed, it checked forward - brown wall. so it checked clockwise. a block to jump over. so over it jumped over the block.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 07:39 PM]
08-14-2006 at 07:38 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+2)  
trick wrote:
Hm. I thought I understood the rules, but it seems that, unless there's a bug in there somewhere, I missed something (or I entered wrong moves, but I don't think I did).

When I saw that Maurog had gone to sleep with the fishies, I scheduled a jump here:

- Gerry

I actually thought that this was how it worked as well, but then I went back and reread the rules (again). I found this:

If you've specified jump ("J"), then your snake will try to jump with attempts made in this sequence: forward, clockwise, counter-clockwise, u-turn. If there is no obstacle to jump over in an attempted direction of movement, your snake will undramatically move just 1 square in that direction without passing over obstacle squares. If your snake can't jump in any of the four directions, then he'll die with no moves available to him.

So really, the order of attempted moves with a Jump command is:

1. move forward
2. jump forward
3. move right
4. jump right
5. move left
6. jump left
7. jump back

while the unattended state is:

1. move forward
2. move right
3. move left
4. jump forward
5. jump right
6. jump left
7. jump back

looking at it like this makes things a lot clearer for me...

08-14-2006 at 07:38 PM
eytanz
Edit: Jbluestein beat me to it, so I removed my post to reduce clutter.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-14-2006 07:40 PM]
08-14-2006 at 07:39 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
eytanz wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
zex20913 wrote:

Are you sure? The snakes page has the same title as the forum so it appears as "DROD forums" on the bookmark list but it should point to the right page. At least that worked for me in Firefox.

It's working now for some reason. And for some other reason, it wasn't working earlier.

08-14-2006 at 07:41 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
eytanz wrote:
Edit: Jbluestein beat me to it, so I removed my post to reduce clutter.

So you decided to replace it with this one? :fun

And thanks, Jbluestein, your list of attempted moves makes things clearer. I likewise thought entering "J" made the snake check for all possible jumps before reverting to bumping, but that is indeed not the case.

08-14-2006 at 07:46 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Doom wrote:
Hey, do the excess moves from the pairing chambers carry on to the actual arena or is the move list reseted?
Everybody's moves will be reset upon entry to the second snakepit.

-Erik

08-14-2006 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Thanks, guys :)

- Gerry

08-14-2006 at 07:53 PM
silver
at what point would be not "bad" of me to post details about what moves I made, which ones I've queued up, and why, by way of explicating the rules? I'm alone in my pit so there's no advantage there, but there's 2 or 3 other people in precisely my position at the moment.
I also would like to compare and contrast it with trick's position. which I believe to be harmless now because I think he knows just how to get out.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 07:58 PM]
08-14-2006 at 07:55 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
bflatjeff wrote:
And thanks, Jbluestein, your list of attempted moves makes things clearer. I likewise thought entering "J" made the snake check for all possible jumps before reverting to bumping, but that is indeed not the case.

I think it has to do with the illusion of control. I like to think that I can influence my snake more than I actually can, but really all there is is a little toggle to change its behavior every so often.

The more you're willing to surrender to the notion that your snake is pretty much on its own, with only a single bit-wide pipeline of information between it and its erstwhile master, the clearer things become.

Or possibly not...in any case, it's made me feel more serene.

[Last edited by jbluestein at 08-14-2006 07:59 PM]
08-14-2006 at 07:59 PM
silver
Schik wrote:
I also added the time remaining until the next move is processed.

just after moves processed, it said there were 59 minutes until next move, not an hour and 59 minutes.

08-14-2006 at 08:02 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Maurog wrote:
Hmm, how did I end up dead? Was pretty sure I got the sequence right... either I wasn't controlling the right snake or made a mistake somewhere.
Maurog, I don't know what happened. It's not really possible to reconstruct it other than from your memory. Maybe there was some kind of bug. I feel bad that you knew what you wanted your snake to do, but were unable to get it to do it. I would rather that everyone died from incorrect reasoning or unlucky predictions.

I'm considered adding you and possibly others back into the second snakepit under certain conditions. However, I'm worried about this upsetting other entrants or making the surviving entrants not worry about getting their moves correct. I'll withhold judgment on this until its clear which snakes will leave the Pair Chambers or die.

I encourage all players to pay close attention to the details of when and what commands you enter and what the results are. Perhaps keep a little log. If anything unexpected happens, ask questions about it here, and hopefully we can get it cleared up.

-Erik

08-14-2006 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
silver wrote:
Schik wrote:
I also added the time remaining until the next move is processed.
just after moves processed, it said there were 59 minutes until next move, not an hour and 59 minutes.
I was just on my way back to check on this to see if it worked. I've fixed the bug.

08-14-2006 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
ErikH2000 wrote:
I encourage all players to pay close attention to the details of when and what commands you enter... Perhaps keep a little log.

isn't this one of those things where a computer (in this case the webserver) could keep much better and more accurate logs, which would resolve all ambiguity?

08-14-2006 at 08:09 PM
<<3456
Page 7 of 32
891011>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com