Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Page 5 of 32
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Jason wrote:
So all that's visible for now is the pairing chambers, right?
The Initial Test (that first hop you gotta make) and the Pair Chambers are all that is visible now, yes.

-Erik

08-13-2006 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
jamesdenem wrote:
Actually, both would probably work, since B will make if follow the set order of moves, and it will jump there on its own. The J will also do this.
I just wanted to confirm that james' explanation is correct.
Chris wrote:
jamesdenem wrote:
But say the setup was this:
-/ -----
-///////
--x ----
-///////
--;/////
--------
-=wall,/=snake,;=snake head

This case is where you would use the BJ so your snake would not die.
Just to check that I've understood, you could also use JJ or wait until the snake is at 'x' and then just use J. Right?
Yes, that's right.

-Erik

08-13-2006 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
Well, in four hours we shall see who passed the Initial Test and who didn't. You guys who didn't submit commands only have two hours left to jump!

08-13-2006 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
...."This is your captian speaking. We are approching our first jump. Be prepaired to get airborn." :P
08-13-2006 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
WARNING!

This morning, after 9 am (8 hours before the most recent move), I visited my snake, and input BBBBJ. After 11, I checked, it was BBBJ. I just checked again, with 116 minutes until the zero hour, and it was still BBBJ. Something is not right here.
08-14-2006 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
coppro wrote:
WARNING!

This morning, after 9 am (8 hours before the most recent move), I visited my snake, and input BBBBJ. After 11, I checked, it was BBBJ. I just checked again, with 116 minutes until the zero hour, and it was still BBBJ. Something is not right here.
Coppro, I looked at your spot on the board. 8 hours before the most recent move would have been 4 moves ago, perhaps right at the last bumping corner. (turn 9) It sounds like one "B" was removed for the corner which would set your commands to "BBBJ" as expected. However, I would not expect any more commands to be removed until your next collision. So again, this is working as expected.

For your particular spot in the snakepit, you could have entered "BBBJ" on turn 0 (start of game). The first "B" would be removed at turn 5, and the next two on turns 7 and 9. Right now (turn 12), you want to make sure you have a "J" at the beginning of your queue.

To the other entrants, I hope you understand that I'm not really giving "the answer" away here. Coppro knows what he wants his snake to do; he just needs to understand the interface.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-14-2006 12:25 AM]
08-14-2006 at 12:25 AM
coppro
rules wrote: You can specify the place you want your snake to jump by counting the bumps that will occur before he reaches the jump point.

Oh. When I read the rules, I assumed a bump was a move, not a decision point.
08-14-2006 at 12:36 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
ErikH2000 wrote:
coppro wrote:
WARNING!

Coppro, I looked at your spot on the board. 8 hours before the most recent move would have been 4 moves ago, perhaps right at the last bumping corner. (turn 9) It sounds like one "B" was removed for the corner which would set your commands to "BBBJ" as expected. However, I would not expect any more commands to be removed until your next collision. So again, this is working as expected.

For your particular spot in the snakepit, you could have entered "BBBJ" on turn 0 (start of game). The first "B" would be removed at turn 5, and the next two on turns 7 and 9. Right now (turn 12), you want to make sure you have a "J" at the beginning of your queue.

To the other entrants, I hope you understand that I'm not really giving "the answer" away here. Coppro knows what he wants his snake to do; he just needs to understand the interface.

-Erik

I am glad you said something because I was going to ask the same thing. I started with thinking the B was for each move then I read the rules again and saw that it was for each decision. My only concern was if I wanted to jump did I put a B and the a J or just the J. And if my snake head is up against the place I want to jump did I just need a J. I was confused as to when the actual collision took place so as to how many B's I needed to get done what I wanted to do. Reading the above got me straightened out, so thanks.

I wouldn't want anyone who want to Jump or Turn to miss doing that because they didn't understant the interface, so this is not giving the answer in my book. Isn't this fun everyone? (Sssslllloooowwww but fun.) Great idea Erik I am so glad I changed my mind and joined this contest after all.

08-14-2006 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
I had the same problem at first, but figured it out pretty quickly. I can't wait to see you in the pairing chamber, techant

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-14-2006 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Everyone who's playing, make to check your queue... if you set it up last night, there's a mistake you may have made. And if you haven't set it up at all, you only have a few minutes!

08-14-2006 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
And there we go! We have about 19 dead snakes. Heh.
08-14-2006 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
Erm... I'm showing as still having the time to make the jump (Having set J), but the yellow highlighted tile for me is showing that I am about to move into the dead end and fall. I wasn't available at all yesterday, so I really would like to avoid getting screwed by luck .-.

08-14-2006 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
TripleM wrote:
And there we go! We have about 19 dead snakes. Heh.

That much... :?
Yes!!
08-14-2006 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Aww, so many people out already... That's unfortunate.

08-14-2006 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
and since my partner was obliging enough to die, I can enter my handful of moves now and just wait 84 hours to get into round 2. I like this contest. it's consumed about 10 minutes of work so far and I'm halfway there.

barring major mishap, 45 snakes go to the arena. that'll be interesting.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 02:15 AM]
08-14-2006 at 02:13 AM
Chaco
I was not as lucky. I look forward to the mishaps that may potentially happen with myself and Beef Row.

I hope I don't end up dying in my sleep. That would stink.

08-14-2006 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Chaco wrote:
I was not as lucky. I look forward to the mishaps that may potentially happen with myself and Beef Row.

I hope I don't end up dying in my sleep. That would stink.

Erik says that it's impossible to die by the other person's hand in the Pair Chamber. I'll look over it, but I think it is correct, at least for the first half.
08-14-2006 at 02:24 AM
Chaco
I'm not sure - it looks like those dead ends in the SE corner may potentially be a deathtrap. Of course, looking at it now, I think it'd require cooperation between the snakes.

08-14-2006 at 02:26 AM
Chris
Rank Points: 144
silver wrote:
and since my partner was obliging enough to die, I can enter my handful of moves now and just wait 84 hours to get into round 2.
You don't even need to do that much - just leave your snake without any commands and she'll survive I think.
08-14-2006 at 02:29 AM
coppro
Is discussion allowed about the game, collaboration, etc.?
08-14-2006 at 02:30 AM
silver

File: death.png (18.9 KB)
Downloaded 269 times.
License: Public Domain
Chris wrote:
silver wrote:
and since my partner was obliging enough to die, I can enter my handful of moves now and just wait 84 hours to get into round 2.
You don't even need to do that much - just leave your snake without any commands and she'll survive I think.

actually, my expectation is that failing to enter any moves will put me in this position:

since jumping is never automatic?

obviously, I can escape that position, but not by entering no moves ever.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 02:42 AM]
08-14-2006 at 02:39 AM
Chaco
Uh, that snake can just jump to the right and escape. :)

EDIT:

And it is automatic, it's just that the snake will turn first, then jump only if necessary.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-14-2006 02:41 AM]
08-14-2006 at 02:40 AM
coppro
silver wrote:
Chris wrote:
silver wrote:

actually, my expectation is that failing to enter any moves will put me in this position:

since jumping is never automatic?

Jumping will occur when a bump would otherwise yield no movement.
08-14-2006 at 02:41 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Follow the trail a little further, and death follows, careful.
08-14-2006 at 02:42 AM
Chaco
Hmm, you're right - it does, seeing as that block is to the east of the snake head.

08-14-2006 at 02:44 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Wow...a lot of dead snakes. Far more than I expected. larrymurk, Stefan, Elfstone, Pilchard. I wonder how many of these were people who didn't enter anything -- I hope nobody get eliminated by mistake anyway.

08-14-2006 at 02:47 AM
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
Well, great. I got moved down even when I set a Jump. I lose. :/

08-14-2006 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver

File: death2.png (22.9 KB)
Downloaded 419 times.
License: Public Domain
with automatic jumps when bumps aren't available, then I should get here if I just sit on my after quarters:

edit: my sincere hope is that this serves as explanation-by-example of the rules to people, rather than a spoiler.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 02:58 AM]
08-14-2006 at 02:51 AM
Chaco
...alright, that's true. I'm not sure about if both snakes are alive, make the jump, then don't do anything after that.

08-14-2006 at 02:53 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
NekoIncardine wrote:
Well, great. I got moved down even when I set a Jump. I lose. :/

Was this a bug? Or did you mis-type your moves (i.e. put the wrong number of bumps before the jump?) If it's a bug, I think it should be corrected.

08-14-2006 at 02:55 AM
Page 5 of 32
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com