Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Boards Minimize
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged
icon DROD Boards Minimize (0)  
For the main forum page, under boards, when you minimize DROD Boards, then you bring it back up, it has a bigger font. Odd. And the same thing goes if you minimize Other Boards.

Keep posting,

07-05-2006 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: DROD Boards Minimize (0)  
Which OS?
And how are you minimising individual boards?

Might be a local issue - I certainly can't even get as far as reproducing it :)
07-05-2006 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
On the main forum page, click on the '-' thingy next to "DROD Boards" to hide the boards, then open them again. Happens to me too. I'm using Firefox under WinXP.
07-05-2006 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
And me. Internet Explorer (don't hit me) Windows XP.

07-05-2006 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
zex20913 wrote:
And me. Internet Explorer (don't hit me) Windows XP.

Yeah, same here. What are you using Syntax?

Keep posting,

07-06-2006 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'm using a Mac OS X and FireFox, and also have this problem.

07-06-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: DROD Boards Minimize (+1)  
Syntax wrote:
And how are you minimising individual boards?

Not minimizing boards, but sets: i.e., clicking on the minus-sign next to, e.g., "DROD Boards". And it happens in Opera as well.

Newer members (he said, as if he weren't one) may not remember the time when that larger size was the standard one; it was reduced to fit more onto the screen, and I suspect that this is a remnant of that change.
07-06-2006 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
This is fixed.
Tahnan wrote:
Newer members (he said, as if he weren't one) may not remember the time when that larger size was the standard one; it was reduced to fit more onto the screen, and I suspect that this is a remnant of that change.
Sad but true: *I* don't remember when the large size was normal.

07-07-2006 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
This is fixed.
Tahnan wrote:
Sad but true: *I* don't remember when the large size was normal.
One other thing - which font is the forum meant to be in?

With Firefox, I get a serif-ed Times New Roman, with IE I get a sans-serif Arial... or is this deliberately unspecified?

np: Couch - Zwei Streifen Im Blau (Figur 5)

07-08-2006 at 11:26 AM
Schik
Briareos wrote:
One other thing - which font is the forum meant to be in?

With Firefox, I get a serif-ed Times New Roman, with IE I get a sans-serif Arial... or is this deliberately unspecified?
You know, that's a good question. For me, it's always been a serif-ed Times New Roman. I could swear that when we were on the old server, it was that way on either Firefox or IE. But now I see the same behavior you describe. Which font do you all like better?

07-08-2006 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Schik wrote:
You know, that's a good question. For me, it's always been a serif-ed Times New Roman. I could swear that when we were on the old server, it was that way on either Firefox or IE. But now I see the same behavior you describe. Which font do you all like better?
Eugh... did I already mention I hate having to choose? It's painful enough when they ask me at the supermarket what kind of sausage I'd like, and now this... errr... I mean "Times New Roman".

np: AGF.3+Sue.C - Lazy (Mini Movies)

07-08-2006 at 10:41 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Times New Roman, please. Serifed text is much easier to read for any sizeable length of time (for me, that means any duration over five seconds on a computer monitor).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-09-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'll third the Times New Roman choice.

07-09-2006 at 01:35 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Fourthed, and possibly fifthed if that rat by my bed is nodding his head.

07-09-2006 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Anyone who wants sans-serif text in Firefox can go to Tools | Options | Content and set the default font to Arial 15pt. It makes some of the text-entry fields fairly small, but the forum looks right. It's how I run things anyway. 16pt makes the entry fields look right, but the rest of the forum looks a bit big for my liking.
07-09-2006 at 03:14 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It's because the stylesheet doesn't declare a default font. I prefer TNR anyway. So, that's why it's different. My guess is that the line that specified the font was removed, thus allowing different browsers to use the default.
07-09-2006 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Times New Roman it is.

07-09-2006 at 04:12 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Schik wrote:
Times New Roman it is.
*confirmed*
07-09-2006 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Schik wrote:
Times New Roman it is.
In a word, ugh. Could you please add another skin in the profiles page which calls up a stylesheet that doesn't enforce a specific font?

I don't see why you should override the browser default at all, but if you want to strongly suggest TNR as a font, at least provide a way for people to override it.
07-09-2006 at 04:58 AM
zex20913
Seconding Tuttle here--it doesn't feel right anymore. I'd like an option for "The way things were", or a way to have this site alone have larger font without changing the font of all sites (IE).

Feeling like a fogey.

07-09-2006 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Are you saying that it never looked like this in IE? Not back when we were on the old server? I could swear it always used Times New Roman for me, until we moved servers. Though I can't explain *why* it would have changed then.

07-09-2006 at 06:12 AM
zex20913
It may have looked like this at some point, but you yourself have forgotten some things about the old site, no?

I'm just saying that the way it was up until recently felt right. It may not to others, but I like those good ol' days.

07-09-2006 at 06:30 AM
Schik
zex20913 wrote:
It may have looked like this at some point, but you yourself have forgotten some things about the old site, no?
Well, I don't mean like *years* ago or something. I mean a month and a half ago when the server crashed.

Okay, okay. I'll stop forcing the font. If people really don't like the font their browser uses by default, I'd guess that every major browser out there lets you change the default font.

Edit: Okay, weird. I went to change my default font in IE because I don't like how the san serif font looks on the forum. My default *is* Times New Roman. So I don't know why IE renders it in san serif.

[Last edited by Schik at 07-09-2006 06:40 AM]
07-09-2006 at 06:37 AM
Tuttle
icon Re: DROD Boards Minimize (+2)  
Thanks Schik.

I reckon IE is picking up the <basefont> tag in the <head> section on each page. It's not valid up there (if it's going to be used, it belongs in the <body> section rather than <head>), so I'm guessing Firefox chooses to ignore it and IE obeys. Try taking it out and see what happens.
07-09-2006 at 06:49 AM
Schik
Tuttle wrote:
Thanks Schik.

I reckon IE is picking up the <basefont> tag in the <head> section on each page. It's not valid up there (if it's going to be used, it belongs in the <body> section rather than <head>), so I'm guessing Firefox chooses to ignore it and IE obeys. Try taking it out and see what happens.
Hey, there ya go. Another little thing I never knew about our forum software. Removed, so now it should obey whatever you set as your default font in IE.

07-09-2006 at 06:52 AM
zex20913
Groovy. Something new has been learned today.

And I've found my font's happy place.

07-09-2006 at 06:58 AM
Briareos
icon Re: DROD Boards Minimize (+3)  
Well, if some of you Firefox-using people want to change the font just for the forum, here's an easy way:

Install the Stylish extension and add the following style to it:
@namespace url( http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forum.caravelgames.com") 
{
  body { font-family: Arial; }
}

(Replace "Arial" with whatever font floats your boat, and remove that space between "url(" and "http" - the forum will eat that parenthesis if I don't put a space there - bug?)

Now quickly back to Times New Roman...

np: Sami Koivikko - Työnimi (Salmiakki)

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-09-2006 09:29 AM]
07-09-2006 at 09:26 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I should think that under the personal options, whilst setting my time zone, I should well be able to set my preferred font, thus eliminating this TNR rubbish in favor of the infinitely more pleasing Verdana :)

[Last edited by silver at 07-09-2006 12:54 PM]
07-09-2006 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
silver wrote:
I should think that under the personal options, whilst setting my time zone, I should well be able to set my preferred font, thus eliminating this TNR rubbish in favor of the infinitely more pleasing Verdana :)
Well, whatever floats your boat, but with ClearType (aka subpixel anti-aliasing for text) enabled I'd rather have serifs on my fonts - much more readable IMHO...

EDIT: Oh, and if you happen to use Firefox - why not use Stylish and just substitute Veranda for Arial in my example up there?

np: Sami Koivikko - Fairtrade (Salmiakki)

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-09-2006 01:08 PM]
07-09-2006 at 01:07 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
comic sans ms all the way!

07-09-2006 at 02:40 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Boards Minimize
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com