Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Death to Death! (Our contest for May '06)
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
IP: Logged
icon Re: Death to Death! (0)  
*phew* Submitted my hold.

I'm really glad I was able to participate in this in the end. It also means my large streak of contest participation remains unbroken, and I shall be able to see my entry in the compilation. :)

Interested in seeing what everybody else put in. I bet there's some reusage of elements.

05-19-2006 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Got my hold up. It sure took me longer than I planned but I kept having these room concepts in my brain and when I made them they just didn't work the same. It is so much harder not to kill a monster.
This is a fun contest though, I love building holds, just wish I was better at it. I guess pratice makes perfect. I tried to make the rooms hard cuz everyone seems to reward the hard puzzle makers but then I wouldn't be able to beat them and prove they were winable. Oh well! :lol

Congrads !! to Ostegolectr1c who seems to have found a scripting bug. Those rock golem are not monsters according to the scripting software :w00t . Use them anyway and just remind us with a scroll that we can not kill any. Use an honor system for that room. I don't think any of us will count it against you.

Ostegolectr1c is the person to grab for beta testing it seems, he also found out that you need longer rattlesnakes for the stab rattlesnake tail command to work. I gave him a mod point for each.

[Last edited by techant at 05-20-2006 02:35 AM : typos]
05-20-2006 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Ezlo,

With this new deadline, can you finish the contest handling now?

In that case, I might even have time to make a hold for the contest ... I had lots of other stuff to do lately...
05-20-2006 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
What do you mean? What I'm doing is going away to New Jersey for the weekend, so you can still enter in entries until I get back on Monday. So you still have time if that's what your asking.
05-20-2006 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tooth and Nail
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Okay, maybe I've gone completely retarded, but I can't figure this out for the life of me, though in my own defense I am new to this whole forum thing.
Everyone keeps saying that their holds are done and have been submitted, but I can't find them. I thought the submissions were supposed to appear on the death to death submission thread. Are they somehow hidden until the 22nd or something?

Zim: GIR? What does the 'g' stand for?

GIR: I don't know!
05-20-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
You can't see posts at submission topics. And judging from previous contests, you'll never be able to see them.

The contest holder usually makes a new topic for voting and downloading the entries after the deadline has passed.
05-20-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tooth and Nail
So only the person running the contest can see the submissions?
I never new that.
So how do I submit, just post a reply to the submission topic and attach my hold as a file to it?

05-20-2006 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Tooth and Nail wrote:
So how do I submit, just post a reply to the submission topic and attach my hold as a file to it?
Exactly.
05-20-2006 at 11:39 PM
techant
Well I just got my revised entry in. I took advantage of the extra time to work out some bugs I found. I still can't get my script to work right when I use the "question" feature. That I..goto and goto have me going crazy. I get the same results as the yes answer to the question, when the answer is no.

lable "if checked"
if..goto "yes ans"
Question - would you like such and such?
label "for yes"
move to x square
strike orb
end
label "for no"
speech "get lost then"

The no answer speech never happens, so I just worked around it but I sure would like to know how to use this feature. :blush

05-21-2006 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Death to Death! (+1)  
techant wrote:
lable "if checked"
if..goto "yes ans"
Question - would you like such and such?
label "for yes"
move to x square
strike orb
end
label "for no"
speech "get lost then"

The no answer speech never happens, so I just worked around it but I sure would like to know how to use this feature. :blush
Add 'go to "for no"' after 'Question...', or the "for yes" bit is executed anyway.
05-21-2006 at 01:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
michthro wrote:
Add 'go to "for no"' after 'Question...', or the "for yes" bit is executed anyway.
Thanks so much. (mod pt for you cuz you didn't ask.)

That did the trick. I kept switching all those around but I kept using 'if..goto' instead of 'goto' for the no answer. Now I am happy with my hold and have been able to finally stop tweaking it. It is up loaded and waiting and I can't wait to see everyone elses. :D

You all are a tough crowd, you all tend to reward hard puzzls, I hope I have made the rooms tough enough for you. :glasses

I know they can be done cuz I have demos but that may mean they are still not tough enough, after all I had to be able to beat them and I can never beat most of the rooms entered in these contest. So as you rate these entries remember the weaker players amoung us, I will. :fun

05-22-2006 at 12:43 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
For the rattlesnake tail thing, use serpent smashed. I did that, and it works.

I am so glad you moved the deadline up! I was partially finished, but then I went on vacation...

I have some serious building to do.
05-22-2006 at 01:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I made my rattlesnake room be such that you couldn't stab any of them or... death by unkillable monster (by other conditions)

Wubbas behind green doors are also good for one-monster rooms.

[Last edited by Chaco at 05-22-2006 08:05 PM]
05-22-2006 at 08:04 PM
Tooth and Nail
God, the suspense is killing me. I need to get out of my house for a little bit. I can't wait to play some of these holds.

05-22-2006 at 09:30 PM
Tooth and Nail
I noticed a couple of small problems in my hold and I revised them, but I submitted eirlier today. If you want the revised version of Morkagen's, I have it.

05-23-2006 at 12:12 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Been playing for some hours now.

They are all very interesting. And it's very hard to vote them.

Some of the holds are quite hard, and some are fun.
Some were not finishable, and some you can kill monsters and still continue.

Note to new contest players: you must vote your own hold "10".

-- Tim :thumbsup

PS. Are we allow to discuss which rooms monsters can be killed without penalties?
05-23-2006 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant

File: techant_hold_demos.zip (12.3 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
Here are demos for my hold for anyone who is interested.

Amazing Contest Discription: Judging!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 10:43 AM]
05-23-2006 at 12:57 AM
Tooth and Nail
Ezlo. I have a small gripe. When my hold was released for public play, for some reason you changed my graphic style. It was designed for "Deep" graphic style.
I assume this was an accident? I guess it doesn't change the play of the puzzles at all, but esteticly it was designed for a different graphic tile then it ended up with.

05-23-2006 at 02:37 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I didn't touch a thing. I download some of the hold and played them myself, but I redownloaded the latest version, put them in a different file, and then uploaded them to the forum. I didn't even import the ones I used for the thread. I have no idea how that would've happend. :?
05-23-2006 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tooth and Nail
No sweat dude, just didn't know how it happened. The outside areas are supposed to be grass, and the end is supposed to look like the enterance to a cave. I've been playing some of these other holds, this is amazing work.

05-23-2006 at 04:32 AM
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Death to Death! (Our contest for May '06)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com