Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Enrageable Brotherhood (Monster class to its own)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Enrageable Brotherhood (+2)  
I was just having some DROD nostalgia, reading up on the fansite (or is it the real site? Perhaps the two should meld), and eventually found one of Erik's old messages, quoting Matt Daly.

Matt said something about monsters that attack when you kill one of their siblings.

This got my brain-wheels turning, and I thought how they were too similar to evil eyes in that they start out "sleeping".

And then I was all "Oh. Ooooh." Because I had what I thought would be a new and pleasant idea for all to consider--the Enrageable Brotherhood.

These are monsters that don't really care what you do until you kill one of them in a room. Once you do, they will all take one turn to wake up and then attack, moving 2 squares for each 1 square Beethro moves. They would have (double) roach behavior.

The other thing about them, since they don't care what you do, they are not required monsters if they are sleeping. Once you kill one, you've got to kill them all. Now, you may ask why you would choose to make them wake, if that's the case. One can block a 1-square mandatory passage. One could need to activate a pressure plate you currently can't reach. You could have some surrounding a necessary potion.

I think these guys would be fun to deal with. Thoughts?

09-27-2009 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Enrageable Brotherhood (0)  
Interesting...

Would activating power tokens affect them in any way? If a stalwart/guard/slayer killed one, what would happen? Will stalwarts consider it an enemy when it's sleeping or awake? Do they burn on hot tiles? Are they vulnerable to briar? Can they be dropped off of platforms and bridges? Will dropping them off of platforms and bridges/being killed by briar wake them up? Will a bomb destroy them and if so, will it wake them up? Can it be eaten by adders and if so, will they wake up?

Sorry for the interrogation. My basic question was "If killed by means other than Beethro's responsibility, will they activate and consider Beethro the enemy?". Moving twice as fast as roach would be kinda cool. Do they have any other distinguishable features, or is that all?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
09-27-2009 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Power tokens--no effect.

The creature who stabs a brother is the target. If two separate entities do it, the target is the closer via brainmap. After the target is eliminated, remaining brothers return to sleep.

Stalwarts do not consider it an enemy while it is sleeping, but they do when awake.

They do burn on hot tiles--but this will not cause a waking to happen.

Same with dropping and bombing--yes, this is deadly, but not wakely.

I think adders go into that category too (not wakely) but perhaps they're smart enough to notice an adder is coming, and get out of its way. I'm not making demands on that one. Seems it'd be a bit too complex, and we should just let adders too be deadly, and not wakely.

Mimics and decoys, though, can become targets, and can be killed by an enraged brother. I'm not sure what to do with clones--if they attack the clone that did the killing, or the currently possessed one. Whichever is easier to dev, I guess.

09-27-2009 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3413
zex20913 wrote:
Mimics and decoys, though, can become targets, and can be killed by an enraged brother. I'm not sure what to do with clones--if they attack the clone that did the killing, or the currently possessed one. Whichever is easier to dev, I guess.
I think it would be neat to have an enemy that can't be drawn away by switching clones - you'd have to either switch back to the original clone before they catch up, or whack another brother quickly. I wanted to make a guardian room along those lines, but development time on Entropy ran short.

09-27-2009 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1138
How do they move before any of them are killed?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-27-2009 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Enrageable Brotherhood (+1)  
I think this should be implemented just because of the cool name. The Enrageable Brotherhood. Coming soon to a theatre near you. I like the idea itself too. Personally I don't think they should move before woken, either towards decoys or out of the way of adders. Although they are "enrageable", when not aroused they could be the complete opposite: the Totally Placid Brotherhood. Which I guess would make them the Totally Placid Unless You Make Us Mad and We Become the Enrageable Brotherhood. Completely understandable that they'd go by the shorter name.
09-27-2009 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Indeed. My idea was to have them stationary. That way, you can place some members in "must kill" spots.

09-27-2009 at 12:39 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I really like this idea! But I think they will become a to complicated element if they were to be following different targets.

If anything but the player, a double or a stalwart kills them they shouldn't wake, and if they wake up they should act like normal roaches.

(I do kinda like the idea of letting decoys mimics and clones effect them the same way though i.e the way the decoy does to normal monsters. And they could kill a double when they get the chance.) Edit: on second thought, better they act exactly as roaches.

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-27-2009 08:26 PM]
09-27-2009 at 02:57 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
It seems to me that a stalwart shouldn't be able to wake them, unless caught in an aumtlich beam. Ooh, nasty idea there. Anyway, would they go after the most recent killer, or any double, player, or stalwart that had killed one previously, taking the nearest one as their preference? Also, what would be their interaction with invisibility potions? Would they know who killed one, but only become active when that person was in range, or would they become active regardless of the invisibility of the killer?
09-27-2009 at 07:42 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Enrageable Brotherhood (+1)  
Someone Else wrote:
It seems to me that a stalwart shouldn't be able to wake them, unless caught in an aumtlich beam. Ooh, nasty idea there. Anyway, would they go after the most recent killer, or any double, player, or stalwart that had killed one previously, taking the nearest one as their preference? Also, what would be their interaction with invisibility potions? Would they know who killed one, but only become active when that person was in range, or would they become active regardless of the invisibility of the killer?
No! Sorry for sounding negative, but I strongly feel that Caravel should focus on adding elements to drod that will not be obscure to new users. These creatures have just as great puzzle potential if they act exactly like roaches when woken, and it will immediately obvious to new (and experienced) players how they work.

(It doesn't really matter, but I feel that Stalwarts should either never put their swords on them when they sleep, or they should wake up if a stalwart accidentally kills one.)

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-27-2009 08:27 PM]
09-27-2009 at 08:24 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Someone Else wrote:
It seems to me that a stalwart shouldn't be able to wake them, unless caught in an aumtlich beam. Ooh, nasty idea there.
That makes no sense at all!
Anyway, would they go after the most recent killer, or any double, player, or stalwart that had killed one previously, taking the nearest one as their preference? Also, what would be their interaction with invisibility potions? Would they know who killed one, but only become active when that person was in range, or would they become active regardless of the invisibility of the killer?
These, though, are good questions.

09-27-2009 at 10:37 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Jatopian wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
It seems to me that a stalwart shouldn't be able to wake them, unless caught in an aumtlich beam. Ooh, nasty idea there.
That makes no sense at all!

He's suggesting that they should be like bombs - a stalwart would only ever stab one if he were spinning uncontrollably under the gaze of an Aumtlich.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 09-27-2009 10:48 PM]
09-27-2009 at 10:47 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
I'd recommend keeping it simple. The whole revenge target thing feels like it might be too complicated.

Here's my variation on the theme:

Instead of a monster type, make it a floor type.

It has two states: inactive & active. When the room starts it is inactive.

Monsters that are on it are asleep. They don't move, shoot laser beams, smartify other monsters or expand tarstuff

When any sleeping creature is killed (by any method) it turns the tiles to active mode - everything wakes up and acts normally.

If a creature moves onto an inactive tile, it falls asleep. This includes mimics and the player.
serpents: just the head
giants: ??? one square/four squares?
wisp: avoids inactive tiles

As well as mass awakenings, you also get
Puzzles where you have to manipulate monsters onto the tiles themselves.
Or the player is forced to step onto an inactive tile and you have to arrange things so that you will be woken up.
You can also turn on a brain or a tar mother in the middle of a room.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-28-2009 03:29 AM]
09-28-2009 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
but if it is a floor type, it will not stack with platforms and suchlike :(

also: evil eyes sleep

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-28-2009 01:42 AM]
09-28-2009 at 01:37 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
True. The other option is to put it on the arrow layer - if you don't mind it not stacking with arrows.

The original idea doesn't stack with goblins :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-28-2009 02:12 AM]
09-28-2009 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Rabscuttle wrote:
True. The other option is to put it on the arrow layer - if you don't mind it not stacking with arrows.

This actually makes a lot of sense... since it is trapping something in a non-obtacular manner. So yeah... traps that open when a monster is stabbed?

09-28-2009 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
And if two of them collide they make a junk heap that kills the rest, even though they're too stupid too... wait, wrong game.
11-01-2009 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Enrageable Brotherhood (Monster class to its own)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com