Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Officially Corrupt (Reworking official puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.8/10 (11 votes)
σ 0.83
Author Name:Not Erik Hermansen
Submitted By:navithmastero
Hold Name:Officially Corrupt
Theme:Reworking official puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:21
Number of Monsters:174
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Officially Corrupt.hold (9.8 KB)
Downloaded 755 times.
License: Other
icon Officially Corrupt  
This is my first hold, it concentrates on revamping those rooms you know and love.

Enjoy!

-nm
02-18-2013 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Officially Corrupt (+1)  
Ever look at the old KDD tar rooms and think they'd be so much more interesting redone in gel? That and a few other surprises are what this hold's about, in which navi "Hey! Listen!" thmastero gets his feet wet in the architecture business. Perhaps not the most original hold we've seen, but worth a look alongside the History of DROD contest.

02-18-2013 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Conquered!
I really enjoed this hold because even if some rooms looked very nasty and frustating (like 3N1W) when I started playing them I actually found them funny, there was only a little lack of checkpoints but I can live up with that :)
I also really really liked 2E and 3N, nice ones!
Good job.

Difficulty 5.5
Fun 8

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 02-18-2013 06:17 PM : I write too fast]
02-18-2013 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Officially Corrupt (0)  
Thanks Red, I'm glad you liked this hold, I get annoyed about checkpoint placement, but sometimes forget about checkpoints as I test my rooms in the editor most of the time :facepalm:

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-18-2013 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
I liked the hold and for its size it kinda took me longer than expected.

I must ask though, why is 1N1W unrequired if 3N1W is?

Also on a side note:
It's possible to get stuck. In room 1E, if you complete and leave the room using the South exit, if room 2S still has its green door up.

02-22-2013 at 08:47 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
D.Craven_0ne wrote:
It's possible to get stuck. In room 1E, if you complete and leave the room using the South exit, if room 2S still has its green door up.

Not entirely true, you're stucked from the South but if you cleared 1E you can exit North in any time and go back to the entrance. To be more precise if you didn't clear 2S and enter 1E from 2E then you are forced to complete 1E, but there's no need to restore :)

02-22-2013 at 08:59 AM
D.Craven_0ne
Rank Points: 201
That's just it... you can only exit 1E North WHEN you clear the room, cause you had the roach to open the northern yellow gate.

I know what I'm talking about 'cos I got stuck the way I described. xD

02-22-2013 at 09:52 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
There are plenty of ways to fix the backtracking issue. If navithmastero would like to come up with a minimally invasive fix, we can look at getting the hold updated.

02-22-2013 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Short hold w/ a few rooms that require some thought to solve. Also nice to see familiar room layouts from official drod holds.

Enjoyable hold:)
02-22-2013 at 10:01 PM
navithmastero
I've fixed the aforementioned backtracking issue. I apologise for the time delay.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-13-2013 at 06:46 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Dischorran wrote:
There are plenty of ways to fix the backtracking issue. If navithmastero would like to come up with a minimally invasive fix, we can look at getting the hold updated.

"... there was only a little lack of checkpoints ... "
- actually, if you are going to do an update nm - can I make a very earnest plea for more save squares in Alternatives: 3N,1W
(I'm tearing my hair out!!!!!! :blowup )

[Last edited by Elfstone at 03-14-2013 04:47 PM]
03-14-2013 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Done.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-14-2013 at 05:44 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
navithmastero wrote:
Done.

-nm

- thanks nm - and lest anyone think I didn't enjoy the Hold, let me correct that misleading impression. This Hold, other than two rooms in which I sweated blood and tears and used a great deal of Chat time over, was most enjoyable. Don't let my struggles put you off it - it is well worth playing. :)

03-14-2013 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
This is a very interesting, short hold - I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a bit like an 'alternate universe' version of some of the official hold rooms. You'll see the famous tar rooms from KDD redone in gel, as well as some clever variations on rooms from JtRH, TCB, GatEB, and one from Suit Pursuit (though admittedly I haven't played SP, so probably ought not to comment on how clever it is in comparison).

My favourite rooms include 1E (although I don't even remember the original from GatEB), 2E (a nice challenging variation) and 4N1W (not too tricky, but fun).

Naturally all of these variations are more difficult than the originals, but I found it quite accessible, so put the difficulty at 6 brains.

A couple of negatives I would mention - firstly, some room entrances unnecessarily don't match up with the neighbouring room - specifically, 1N and 1N1E, and 5N and 5N1W. This seemed like a bit of an oversight, but barely detracted my enjoyment of the hold.

Secondly, I kind of wish it was longer. Perhaps it would have been better if whole levels were re-done, or just more rooms were included - I don't know, but I couldn't help but feel like it was a little incomplete.

Overall, though, don't let those last two points put you off, this is a really cool idea and turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm sure you won't regret playing it; I certainly didn't. :)
05-16-2013 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Kwerulous wrote:
Suit Pursuit (though admittedly I haven't played SP, so probably ought not to comment on how clever it is in comparison).

My favourite rooms include 1E (although I don't even remember the original from GatEB), 2E (a nice challenging variation) and 4N1W (not too tricky, but fun).

I'm glad you enjoyed those rooms, I would agree with you in that they are my favorite variations. Incidentally, those first two rooms are my personal favorites. 1E was the last one I made, and was definitely a challenge to design, what with UIs and all (there still is one that Red-13 pointed out). 2E was the second room I designed and I felt was the most simple change (apart from 1S 1E and 1N 1W).

...A couple of negatives I would mention - firstly, some room entrances unnecessarily don't match up with the neighbouring room - specifically, 1N and 1N1E, and 5N and 5N1W. This seemed like a bit of an oversight, but barely detracted my enjoyment of the hold.

Secondly, I kind of wish it was longer. Perhaps it would have been better if whole levels were re-done, or just more rooms were included - I don't know, but I couldn't help but feel like it was a little incomplete.

In terms of the room entrances, yes, I think this hold could do with a little more polish, and this is one of the reasons it could have been improved.

Ideally, it would have been longer, but I actually found it suprisingly tricky to think of good ways to edit rooms. The point was brought up by mxvladi in beta testing, and I'll say the same thing to you as I did to him - I'd like to make a second version of this hold once TSS is out, a 'New Edition' if you will. This new version will not just consist of rooms from TSS, but rooms from the official holds as well, hopefully with some included from the SmS holds too.

Overall, though, don't let those last two points put you off, this is a really cool idea and turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm sure you won't regret playing it; I certainly didn't. :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, thanks for playing. :)

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

05-16-2013 at 06:38 PM
PMIT
Rank Points: 159
Having replayed most of the official DROD holds recently, I found this hold to be an interesting, if brief, alternate take on a handful of those rooms. I've seen some holds which had rooms that were a variation on KDD rooms in the past, but this is the first I've seen that used newer elements, which made them feel fresh.

My favorite room was 1E - it turned a pretty forgettable room into a clever brain puzzle, but I also enjoyed 3N1W (this room worked much better with gel than I expected :) (I should've known somebody would make this room eventually too :P)), 1S, and (to a lesser extent) 2E (brained roach queens frustrate me, but figuring out how to get it to do what you wanted here was still quite nice) a lot.

If you're still interested in making a new version of the hold once TSS comes out, I know I would be interested in it. :)

05-14-2014 at 04:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Officially Corrupt (Reworking official puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com