Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 12th Stalwart Escapes (Gentle difficulty of puzzles and a Stalwart role)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (22 votes)
σ 1.89
Author Name:Jake
Submitted By:Kwerulous
Hold Name:12th Stalwart Escapes
Theme:Gentle difficulty of puzzles and a Stalwart role
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:15
Number of Monsters:409
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: 12th Stalwart Escapes.hold (18.3 KB)
Downloaded 1278 times.
License: Other
icon 12th Stalwart Escapes  
My first Hold!

The first level was originally a contest entry, but I changed it and added a few rooms, so I could get some sort of experience at architecture before I go onto a bigger project.

Linear based, off-canon story, with a difficulty ranging from easy to moderate (in my opinion, anyway).

Enjoy! (I hope...)

Thanks to everyone who contributed in the architecture thread: rman, Jacob, larrymurk, and especially mxvladi, who seemed to take a lot of time with it. Many thanks!
09-01-2008 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: 12th Stalwart Escapes (+1)  
This is a quite nice hold. Puzzles are mostly easy, but some of rooms are awesome. You should try rooms like 1S or 1N 1E... well, try this. :)

4 brains and 7 fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-01-2008 06:09 PM]
09-01-2008 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
This is a surprisingly nice, small hold. The environment and story are well polished, and the rooms are mostly interesting without being overwhelming (well, until one gets swarmed by guards in the later rooms, at least). No one room stands out as being far below the overall quality of the hold, making it an excellent achievement for a novice architect.

09-01-2008 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Just mastered this. There are a few tricky spots in here, but none of them unpleasant; and it's a lot of fun. (Including the dialogue in the post-victory Stalwart party.)
09-02-2008 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: 12th Stalwart Escapes (0)  
Thanks very much for your comments! It makes it worth while, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Stupid question - what is this "Hold Karma"? Am I right in guessing it's just modding me up for my hold?

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 11-24-2008 06:11 PM]
09-02-2008 at 11:31 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Kwerulous wrote:
what is this "Hold Karma"? Am I right in guessing it's just modding me up for my hold?
Yes.

09-02-2008 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
Jatopian wrote:
Yes.
Thanks.
09-02-2008 at 10:23 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Kwerulous wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Yes.
Thanks.
Specifically, it's a rank point increase that doesn't cost extra as the number increases--so that someone who comes along after a hold is at +10 can still add an appreciative point without needing, er, lots of points to do it.
09-03-2008 at 10:39 PM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I really liked this hold. It was medium difficulty with a great story line and some funny moments. Exactly what I look for in DROD. I thought a few of the rooms were a bit annoying, like the one where you had to keep the mimic alive on the hot tiles, or the one where you needed to use the clones to kill the ooze. This barely detracted from my enjoyment though. I gave it 5.5 brains and 9 fun.
09-04-2008 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: 12th Stalwart Escapes (+2)  
I played through this hold while avoiding some of the harder rooms in a different hold. This is a nice palate cleanser, very enjoyable without being difficult.

I put the difficulty about about 4 brains, and the fun level at 7. All in all, a positive experience!

Josh

10-05-2009 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: 12th Stalwart Escapes (+2)  
This came to my attention because of Beethro and the Cake, a more recent hold by the same architect.

This hold took me about an hour to finish. It's straightforward and nicely decorated. Many rooms involve simply killing monsters, but they never lack variety; often they take a bit of thought or some attention to a particular complication. I don't think there was anything I disliked in here except for the final scene of the escape (1S).

06-11-2013 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 12th Stalwart Escapes (Gentle difficulty of puzzles and a Stalwart role) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com