Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Blackout (First Person DROD, and maybe a tiny bit scary)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.9/10 (18 votes)
σ 0.78
Author Name:Luke
Submitted By:Lucky Luc
Hold Name:Blackout
Theme:First Person DROD, and maybe a tiny bit scary
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:41
Number of Monsters:516
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:42 (+42 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Blackout RC.hold (5.2 MB)
Downloaded 670 times.
License: Other
icon Blackout  
After only two short years, here's my second hold. Not quite the magnum opus I had planned, but hey!

This is a short hold with a pretty un-DROD-like gimmick: You will only be able to see the tiles that Beethro would see. Kind of. That being said, if this should not be your cup of tea, there's also a version included that plays a lot more like usual DROD.

There's also a stock horror plot with three different endings. Probably a bit better than my first hold's story, but in hindsight not quite as scary as I intended it to be. Oh, and some custom music, which is why the hold file is a bit large.

Any resemblances to other architects' scripted creations are, uhm, mostly coincidental.

And, of cousre: Thanks a lot to beta testers D.Craven_0ne, Dischorran and larrymurk, who helped a lot to make this thing reasonably playable.
10-31-2015 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Blackout (+2)  
This hold shows the true potential of DROD's scripting engine. It manages to create a great atmosphere and a neat little story. This is still DROD though, so puzzles are still involved. Those were challenging enough to keep me stumped for a while on some of them.

Overall, this hold is definitely recommended. I rate this 6 brains, 9 fun.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-31-2015 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Blackout (+1)  
2S1W Typo:

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-01-2015 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: SadSkelle.jpg (142.7 KB)
Downloaded 1916 times.
License: Public Domain
Played and finished, got all the endings and I feel very satisfied.

Secreted for brevity and secrecy:

Fun: 10
Difficulty: 4

[Last edited by skell at 11-01-2015 01:00 AM]
11-01-2015 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Very nice hold. Especially appropriate to be released on Halloween. The ambiance you've created makes this one perhaps feel like the most dungeon-like hold. Good story, and the puzzles (though revolving mostly around a scripted element or two) are good. Not too tough, but more a story-based hold. Multiple endings are also a nice touch.

11-02-2015 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I can't really add much to what has already been said about this hold. It is every bit as excellent as others have said. There are a few things worth mentioning to those who may not know.

First, once you have complete this hold on your own it is definitely worthwhile to check out the excellent Jeff_Ray Let's Play video of it. (click for Jeff's LP) Jeff played through the hold mostly blind, so you get to see his genuine reaction to the surprises this hold has in store. It's extremely fun to share in his reactions if you've already played through it.

The second thing worth mentioning is that this is not Lucky Luc's first foray into the realm of DR.whOD. If you find yourself craving more Dr. Who/DROD crossover after having completed this, check out the hold Elemental Showcase 5.0. Luc's entry "Lord of Time" is also Dr. Who inspired hold. While the atmosphere is completely different from "Blackout", it is still very distinctive and well developed. You can tell a lot of thought has been put into the plot and setting. To get to it just go 1S in the hub level.

11-03-2015 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
He also has a hold inspired by the Silence, but for some reason I can't remember where it is or anything about it.

11-03-2015 at 09:09 PM
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: Blackout (0)  
i can't say much about this hold, because drod.exe don't react anymore since i've tried beethro to have a look behind himself. it doesn't matter wich mode i play. drod version is actual 5.0.0.5923 (shown in main menu). running drod on win8.

any hints? :~(

zaubberer :wizard
12-05-2015 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Huh. The script is kind of complex, but I don't think it should freeze DROD.

The only thing I've noticed is that you don't actually seem to use the most recent stable version, which is 5.0.1.6060. Don't know if that solves your problem, though. -_-

(And by the way, thanks everyone for those positive reviews :D Really glad and still baffled you all enjoyed it this much. Also, a little better-late-than-never shout out to awesome Hold Admins Chaco, Dischorran and Doom for making the Halloween release date possible)
12-08-2015 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
oschwald.thomas
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Blackout (0)  
How do i get the family reunion ending. i can't figure it out :?
04-03-2016 at 03:38 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
oschwald.thomas wrote:
How do i get the family reunion ending. i can't figure it out :?

04-03-2016 at 03:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Blackout (First Person DROD, and maybe a tiny bit scary) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com