Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : how do i create styles for DROD?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ellwilll
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon how do i create styles for DROD? (0)  
can someone PLEASE help PROPERLY. i only see links to very long un-user friendly posts that have nothing to do with styles. PLEASE for fridges sake give me anice, clean,short post and thanks in advance.

11-29-2008 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
icon Re: how do i create styles for DROD? (0)  
I'm probably mistaken, but I think you need to make custom artwork with your favorite art program. Not sure about everything elso, though.

11-29-2008 at 05:55 PM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: how do i create styles for DROD? (+2)  
Sorry, but this is how you do it... and here's a template for the graphics.

It doesn't get any easier than this... read and learn.

np: Gas - Track 6 (Gas)

11-29-2008 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: how do i create styles for DROD? (+5)  
Sorry, but it is a complicated process. No easy way.

Since most people would prefer to make Styles than mods (those who joined after TCB might not even know what mods are), I'll put stuff about mods in blue to say, "if you want to make a style for holds, ignore this part."

1. Make the graphics:
Make 22x22 tiles for all the things you want to change, and put them together in one or more .PNGs (or .JPEGs). Make sure to separate style tiles from general tiles (they need to be in different .PNGs).
Style tiles include: Arrows, Obstacles, and everything on the first tab EXCEPT for Doors, Oremites, and Pressure Plates.
Some style things can be patterns bigger than 1 tile. These are floors, inner walls, and pits. Put these in separate .PNGs if you want large patterns. More info later.
General tiles are everything else: Enemies, Doors, Orbs/PPs, Ortho Squares, Tarstuff, Beethro, etc.

Some notes:
Click here to view the secret text

2. Tell the game what to replace:
Oh, by the way, you have to turn off "Hide extensions" first in Folder Options so it saves as .tim and not .txt.tim.

Now, here's the very annoying part: You have to make a .tim for each tilesheet you made. The .tim is a document where you list the numbers of all the tiles that you want to replace. You have to look up what these numbers are. Briareos' first link there to coppro's guide is the best reference, though it is for JtRH, so not all things are listed. Both the .tim and the .PNG go into [DROD TCB Folder]\Data\Bitmaps, and must have the same name.

You don't have to make .tims for the things in styles that you put in separate images (these can be floors, pits, and inner walls). You simply have to name these after your style. More info later.

Anyways, it's example time. Let's say you want to change Trapdoors. Make a 66x22 image (3x1 tiles). The first tile will be trapdoors, the second one will be their front edges, and the third one will be a trap door as it falls.
Call it NewPlatform.PNG. Now, according to coppro's reference, the tile numbers for these are 57, 552, and 105. So open Notepad, type in this:
Then save it as NewPlatform.tim, in the Bitmaps folder.
When you make a stylesheet, you will likely have a big sheet of something like 16x24 tiles or bigger. Whatever it is, it probably won't be all one line.
Each row in the bitmap gets its own line in the .tim. Unused tiles in the bitmap are indicated in the .tim with an exclaimation mark. You can also have ranges. For example:

3. Put them in the game or share them:

What you now have to do with the images is add them to drod.ini. Depending on what changes you make to the .ini, you can do one of two things with your images:

You can have these new graphics replace the game's graphics.
This is called making a mod. To do this, you will tell the game to load your graphics on top of the default graphics. Here's how:
Mods are generally used to edit a few tiles to make life easier (or harder). Common mods would be stuff like Transparent Tar, Easier-to-see Ortho Squares, and Textured Doors, all of which are GeneralTiles stuff. Some people use Secret Wall mods, too, which would be Style mods.
Mods are not parts of holds. To share a mod you made, just post a .zip with the PNG and the .tim in it, and tell people what to do with it.

The other thing: You can make a new style with these graphics.
Styles can't have their own GeneralTiles. Also, they must be rather complete, or else they won't be worth using. Make sure your style at the very least changes walls and the first floor type. I know, there are over a hundred wall tiles you will have to edit, but walls are very important for styles!
Anyways, when your style has enough stuff, you will change drod.ini to tell DROD all about your new style and what files have to be loaded with it. Here's how.
Unless you have Demo Version, don't forget to select music for your style! Here's how:

The style will appear in TCB in the list of styles next time you load the game, and you can go to Manage and Export it to a DROD Media File. The .dmf includes everything loaded into DROD for the style that isn't already built-in for DROD: The stylesheets you made, the separate patterns you made, and the music you imported.

Some of this may be wrong, since I've never made a DROD Media File before, but I did some additional research, made huge edits to this post, and I'm now quite confident that this is mostly correct. In any case, good luck! -_-

Hey, if your eyes hurt reading that, imagine my fingers typing it! Oh, the searing pain....

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-19-2008 02:06 AM]
11-30-2008 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Rank Points: 275
I've been working on my own style and I'm nearly ready to export and share it, but I'm running into a problem.

I've been testing my style for the different weather settings but when I uncheck the Outside checkbox, so that there isn't a reflection of clouds in the water, the water ends up not showing up at all. You can see the outline of the water, but rather than the wavy blue, I only see pit floor. Platforms and trapdoors and everything still acts like there's water there. It just doesn't show the water.

I'm not seeing anything here that explains this bit, unless I'm missing something. Has anyone run into this or do they know what may be happening and how I could fix it?

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-01-2012 10:06 AM]
03-01-2012 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: how do i create styles for DROD? (+1)  
This might actually be a rendering bug. I remember encountering something similar once. With some combination of pit and water graphics, the water didn't get rendered clearly. It was only vaguely visible against the pit background. Later, when I modified either of them, the water looked fine again.

I never figured out what caused it, nor did I encounter it again, but it may be some transparency issue. It seems water graphics are supposed to be rendered slightly transparent, but I don't know exactly how that's accomplished.

Would you mind posting your image/tim files so we can try to reproduce it?

[Last edited by Jutt at 03-01-2012 11:26 AM]
03-01-2012 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss

File: Jungle.zip (907.5 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Public Domain
Sure. Here's what I have so far.
I started with the general tiles template posted by Zch.

03-01-2012 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Well, I figured out what causes your problems, and I'm not sure it's a bug at all.

Basically the rendering of the pit image underneath water is influenced by its alpha channel. If the pit image has no alpha channel, it renders normally with the pit showling slightly through the water.
If the image does have an alpha channel, it will use that to determine how much of it will be visible through the water. Full opacity is pit fully visible, full transparency is no pit visible.

This is also where your problem lies. Your image has an alpha channel and because it is at full opacity, it will dominate the water entirely. You can fix this by simply removing the alpha channel.

Actually, this may be a feature to simulate varying levels of water transparency, but I've never heard anything about it. Maybe the dev team can shed some light on this.

03-01-2012 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Huh. Well that makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought to check for that.

I've played with my alpha and it's working fine now.

Thanks.

03-01-2012 at 09:02 PM
Garlonuss
Oh, and if there's any other suggestions you have regarding the style or what I could do to it, I'm happy to hear them.

03-01-2012 at 09:17 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Garlonuss,

Your style looks amazing. I like the colority, textures, variety, and also the soft shadows you've added to the obstacles.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2012 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Suggestions? How about you give the style its own topic where people can comment on it & shower you with rank points? ;)

03-01-2012 at 09:53 PM
Garlonuss
Yeah, Jutt, I was thinking I should do that. I'll do just that.

And thanks Mister Imer. I'm pleased with it myself after the work I put into it.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-02-2012 12:36 AM]
03-02-2012 at 12:35 AM
Jutt
Jutt wrote:
Well, I figured out what causes your problems, and I'm not sure it's a bug at all.

Basically the rendering of the pit image underneath water is influenced by its alpha channel. If the pit image has no alpha channel, it renders normally with the pit showling slightly through the water.
If the image does have an alpha channel, it will use that to determine how much of it will be visible through the water. Full opacity is pit fully visible, full transparency is no pit visible.

This is also where your problem lies. Your image has an alpha channel and because it is at full opacity, it will dominate the water entirely. You can fix this by simply removing the alpha channel.

Actually, this may be a feature to simulate varying levels of water transparency, but I've never heard anything about it. Maybe the dev team can shed some light on this.
Bumping this topic, because in GatEB I cannot reproduce the behaviour I described. Can we get any confirmation whether the pit transparency in combination with water is intended or not?

04-04-2012 at 07:43 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Pit transparency got removed in DROD 4.0, as it was *really* messing up rendering of Shallow Water in some styles. We may revisit this in the future depending on input from style artists.

In the meantime, I'll take this opportunity to reveal that DROD 4.0 has a new way of altering water rendering. Two new optional textures are available for use: <StyleName>DeepWater and <StyleName>ShallowWater. These are textures drawn at a set level of transparency over Inside Water and Shallow Water respectively. Despite its name, DeepWater is drawn more like a 'SkyImage', and the level of transparency it uses is different depending on whether it's being drawn over Deep Water or Shallow Water -- it's more transparent over Shallow Water.

If these textures do not exist, then <StyleName>Pit will be used as normal for Inside Water rendering, and <StyleName>Dirt will be used for Shallow Water rendering.

Furthermore, you may want to play with the Shallow Water tiles themselves. The ID for Shallow Water itself is 2319. The ID for the 'mixture masks' between Deep and Shallow Water are tiles 2087-2102, laid out in an identical manner as Water Banks. Finally, please note that ID 2097 is used to render concave corners of Deep/Shallow Water mixture, and as such is four quarter tiles in one.
04-04-2012 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Thanks for the clarification. Personally I have no problem with the pit transparency feature being removed. I've never felt the need to use it, and so far it has only been trouble. For example, I noticed that in the Sanctum 2 style the pit image has a (fully opaque) alpha channel. This means that TCB makes the style's water look indistinguishable from pit. Luckily this is now automatically fixed for Drod 4.

The extra flexibility for water rendering with the two new textures is nice and makes up for the lost functionality with pit tranparency.

I had already noticed there was a new shallow water tile, and this is a bit of a problem for TCB styles that replace the deep water tiles. The difference can become somewhat jarring, which IMO is the case for the three styles I have published. I wonder if Schik will let me modify the two that are already on CaravelNet.

04-04-2012 at 10:13 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Kwakstur wrote: If you want skies (water reflections) to be available in your style, add them in the same way the other styles have them in the .ini.
Can someone explain this part in more detail, please? I can see that in drod.ini, each style is followed by a list of seven sky types selected from the thirteen available in the DROD editor's weather settings. What does this actually do? It doesn't mean that only those seven skies are available in that style, because, for example, in Greenhouse all thirteen sky options have a unique appearance. How do I know which sky types I want to list?

Also, I tried following the above instructions but I have the same problem Rheb had with Mosaic Frost -- the music does not get included in the .dmf file. How should I do that?

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-13-2014 07:43 PM]
07-13-2014 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
From what I can see, the ones listed for each style in the ini are used, depending on "darkness" level, when the sky is set to (Default). This means you get decent dusk and night skies automatically when you change the light level, without having to select them manually.
The list of skies in the editor shows all the ones available from all styles, allowing you to override the default choice as well as use skies from other styles.
When you export a style it'll export the skies listed for that style in the ini. I'm guessing that if you really wanted, you could specify more than 7 skies in the ini, allowing you to select them in the editor and also export them along with the style...
07-13-2014 at 09:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : how do i create styles for DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com