Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Make everything ugly (A springboard for JtRH modders)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
IP: Logged
icon Re: Make everything ugly (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
If anyone happens to be interested in maintaining a public domain media archive for the DROD 2.0 engine, please let me know. Preference would be given to someone with a good history of participation on the forum.

-Erik

Right now I am working on porting the caravel graphics to JtRH, but I'll need to make some new graphis too. They arn't done yet, but if you want I will occationaly upload my WIP to [url=http://jillmo.home.comcast.net/GeneralTiles.png http://jillmo.home.comcast.net/GeneralTiles.png

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-27-2005 at 02:51 AM]
04-27-2005 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501

File: GeneralTiles.png (83.5 KB)
Downloaded 226 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Make everything ugly (+1)  
And now on a slightly different note... I took AlefBet's latest mod and imported all my door tiles from Hog into the template. I also added my roaches as an extra bonus. It may have lost some quality, since 32x32 tiles were converted into 22x22 tiles, so tell me what you think!

PS: Now, I don't want to be hard on you with them rights, but my tiles should only be used in DROD. Sorry, but you are not allowed to use them outside DROD.

[Edited by Maurog at Local Time:04-27-2005 at 07:31 PM: JtRH--->DROD]

04-27-2005 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Make everything ugly (0)  
Maurog wrote:
PS: Now, I don't want to be hard on you with them rights, but my tiles should only be used in JtRH. Sorry, but you are not allowed to use them outside JtRH.
Maurog, you could put your tiles in an archive with a note to this effect. That might help keep it clear. Also, "JtRH" refers to just one release of DROD. Is it okay for people use your work in DROD 1.6 (AE) or future versions of the DROD engine? Perhaps you mean to say that your tiles should only be used in DROD?

Sorry to make it more complicated. :)

-Erik

04-27-2005 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Sure, use them in any DROD release as you please, but not outside that. Limiting it to JtRH does seem kinda silly. As for adding a note, I don't believe it's worth it to complicate things for people and force them to unpack stuff, since more than 99% of them won't even think of using this file outside DROD anyways.

04-27-2005 at 07:30 PM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
ErikH2000 wrote:
wmarkham wrote:
Also, the source code dist appears to contain a bunch of the voice acting samples, e.g. phrases that the Slayer says during gameplay. Can these be treated as being in the public domain?

I'm thinking of what to do with these. Hmm...

Okay, those will be public domain. I think what I'm going to do is pull the sound effects out of the source archive and create a new public domain media archive. It will have the sound effects and Alefbet's bitmaps right now. Later on it can have more media as it becomes available. If anyone happens to be interested in maintaining a public domain media archive for the DROD 2.0 engine, please let me know. Preference would be given to someone with a good history of participation on the forum.

-Erik

I hope I didn't prompt you to do something that you didn't intend, especially if these slipped into the source distribution unintentionally. (I would guess, by the way, that in the source distribution, as it stands, these and other things under "Data" fall under the MPL as "source code".) In fact, I don't think I even meant to say "public domain". My concern was really just ease of redistribution. You still might want to keep other people from using them in their own commercial products, or restrict their use in other ways. You might even leave them under MPL, but with an extra provision that modified copies may be redistributed freely within this forum without any additional burdens.
04-28-2005 at 09:02 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
wmarkham wrote:
I hope I didn't prompt you to do something that you didn't intend, especially if these slipped into the source distribution unintentionally.
Nah, your question came at the same time as similar questions from SuperV, SbCl3, and Row Row. I just want to have a public domain media archive. It should be a good thing to have in general.

I like the media archive to be public domain so that modders can have something to use without worrying about licensing terms. Possibly MPL covers media as well as source, but I'd like to keep licensing simple for modders and nothing is simpler than public domain.

-Erik

04-28-2005 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
ErikH2000 wrote:
Maybe we can change the algorithm so that if you fill in the square for a tile in your mod graphic with one certain color it means "use the default". So if you only wanted to mod roaches, then fill in all the other tiles except for the roach tiles with red.
How about having a seperate default template, which you also store a copy of in the data files, which if it differs from the seperate one you have, changes the graphics. This way, designers wouldn't accidentally stumble across the colour you choose to represent 'use the default' and the template could include guidelines for what goes where.

Another option for avoiding a problem with the arbitrary colour selection would be to only replace the default tiles when the replacement graphics are other than 100% empty and 100% transparent.
05-01-2005 at 05:54 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
that would make it incredibly difficult (if not impossible) for them to upgrade the base game graphics - they could change the "default template", sure, but anyone who used the feature and changed the default template would be in a bad place.

your second option: 100% color is much more workable because then you color even the "unused" section in the special color and you're good for upgrades

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-01-2005 at 09:16 PM]

05-01-2005 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog

File: GeneralTiles.png (81.3 KB)
Downloaded 209 times.
Oh yeah, I recently visited some holds in which you will really want transparent tar and mud. So here you go - these tiles will let you look through tar and mud to some extent.

05-06-2005 at 07:10 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979

File: GeneralTiles.png (66.6 KB)
Downloaded 367 times.
If there's still interest in the tiles I gave out, here's another more polished version. It features pointy swords (instead of three balls) which are also colored according to their holder, and a slightly more polished look for tar and mud. I've also tweaked the highlighting on some of the other objects.

If you want transparent tar/mud, though, you'll have to grab Maurog's tar/mud or make your own.

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:05-06-2005 at 07:37 PM]

++Adam H. Peterson
05-06-2005 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Just visit this topic for all of your transparency needs. Note that there are many alternatives for you to choose.
10-19-2005 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Wait a second, when viewing, there are 6 characters that pop up as having just the generic purple ball, and yet there are 4 such rows on the tileset. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Hold on, Negotiator and Instructor have same image as do both citizens. Useless, you know that?

[Last edited by coppro at 12-04-2005 10:11 PM]
12-04-2005 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
this thread needs a rez plz
----

Okay, so. Just under the four red tiles to the right of the octagonal, there is one of the last refresh dots, and three....god only knows what. two black dots and the slayer's blood. What are those, exactly?

And to the left of the master wall, there is one white dot (Wubba?), then edit: okay, pieces of bomb

And a white square under the goblins on the far left that I have no concept of the purpose of.

Could someone tell me what this nonsense is?

[Last edited by Banjooie at 12-31-2005 05:49 AM]
12-31-2005 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Banjooie wrote:
Okay, so. Just under the four red tiles to the right of the octagonal, there is one of the last refresh dots, and three....god only knows what. two black dots and the slayer's blood. What are those, exactly?
The black dots are Seep Blood. (They're green blobs in the original official tileset.)
And to the left of the master wall, there is one white dot (Wubba?),
That's the Z that shows up when Beethro is sleeping.
And a white square under the goblins on the far left that I have no concept of the purpose of.
That's a scroll.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-31-2005 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Wait, does this mean the seeps have four pieces of blood, or is the black plus something else?
12-31-2005 at 08:27 AM
AlefBet
Banjooie wrote:
Wait, does this mean the seeps have four pieces of blood, or is the black plus something else?
I'm not sure I know which tiles you're talking about. Which is the black plus?

The eight tiles under the checkpoint and Ortho tiles are: 5 swirl tiles, two Seep bloods, and a Slayer particle.

The eight tiles under the evil eyes are: 2 monster blood, 2 debris, 2 insect particles, a sleep-Z, and a master wall.

Is that what you're looking for?

++Adam H. Peterson
12-31-2005 at 08:55 AM
Banjooie
There we go, I mistook insect particles for debris.

--Er, what exactly are insect particles?
12-31-2005 at 09:02 AM
AlefBet
Banjooie wrote:
--Er, what exactly are insect particles?
When you break a wall, debris goes flying and bouncing, but if you look carefully, you'll see small dots swirling around like cockroaches or termites. Those are the insects. They last longer than the debris particles.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 12-31-2005 05:26 PM]
12-31-2005 at 05:26 PM
Banjooie
Huh. I wasn't aware.

How do I set the transparency, anyway? I've tried...

1: Actually setting the transparency on the .png
2: Setting the 0th palette index to the transparent color
3: ensuring all things transparent have 192,192,192 (the transparent color) in their most upperleft pixel

I'm outta ideas here.
12-31-2005 at 08:39 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Make everything ugly (-2)  
AlefBet wrote:
I created this image as I looked at the original GeneralTiles.png, but I didn't copy any of the image data from it -- I just used it to see what tile to put where. In fact, I don't copy any graphical data from anywhere at all since the entire image is generated programmatically by a Perl script.

If you want one with a grid on it, here you go (attached). I suggest playing with this mod for a while to figure out what tiles are which room elements, and I tried to make the colors suggestive of the original monsters. However, if you really want a template specification, here is a copy of the data segment from my Perl script that decides what tiles are drawn where:

8Decoy 8Poppy
8DecoySword 8PoppySword
8Beethro 2Checkpoint 1 1Ortho 4
8BeethroSword 5Swirl 2SeepBlood 1SlayerBlood
8Mimic 8WraithWing
8MimicSword 8WraithWing
8GoblinKing 8EvilEye
8Roach 8EvilEye
8Roach 2Blood 2Debris 2Bugs 1Z 1Masterwall
8RoachQueen 2TarBlood 2 4TarMother
8RoachQueen 2MudBlood 2 4MudMother
8RoachEgg 8Seep
8Goblin 8Seep
8Goblin 2Wubba 1Bomb 2 3Spark
1Scroll 2Orb 3Potion 2Brain 4Eyebeam 1ImageTile 3
4YellowDoor 4GreenDoor 4BlueDoor 4RedDoor
4BlackDoor 4Fuse 4OpenDoor 4DarkFuse
8Golem 1Pile 2 5Tar
8Golem 1Pile 2 5Tar
3Serpent 2 3Rattler 3 5Tar
5Serpent 5Rattler 1 5Mud
5Serpent 5Rattler 1 5Mud
5Serpent 5Rattler 1 5Mud
8Slayer 8Hook
4Wisp 4Blast 8Citizen
8Citizen 8Citizen
8Halph 8GoblinKing
8Citizen 7WallShadow 1
8TarBaby 8Swish
8TarBaby 8Spider
8MudBaby 8Spider
8MudBaby 8ActiveEye

Each line represents a row of the graphic. Each element is a number followed by the name of the element. For example, the top row "8Decoy 8Poppy" means the first eight tiles are decoys (in the various directions) and the next eight are poppies (in the various directions). A number without a name associated with it means that many tiles are unused.

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:04-25-2005 at 11:25 PM]

Again, after this time, thanks. I almost finished my PERSONAL ripping. Can you tell me precisely Citizen1, Citizen2, Negotiator Instructor cells?

EDIT: Also, absolutely no idea on how to rip the Beethro's sword SWISH. Any tips?

Why rated me -2? :( I didn't nothing illegal. I said the ripping is for personal and modding uses. I didn't distributed it.

[Last edited by vittro at 03-15-2007 10:38 AM]
03-14-2007 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
ooh, ooh. Me too!

Leo Tolstoy wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

I agree!

03-14-2007 at 09:49 PM
silver

File: GeneralTiles_30_ugly.png (137.4 KB)
Downloaded 363 times.
icon Re: Make everything ugly (+7)  
SOOOOO...

I sort of extended AlefBet's free graphics to 3.0. I'm not sure what license he would have chosen, so I put in "other" for now. As far as I'm concerned, my mods are Creative Commons Sharealike Noncommercial Attribution, but that might be incompatible with his choices.

I don't have AlefBet's perl script, I just have the output of his script, so I hand-drew a bunch of ugly tiles, and copied some of his with color-shifts to fill in spots. overall, it took me some 4-6 hours to make this whole file and accompanying text file... it took a while to draw the briar - even though I could use cut and paste for my version - I have profound respect for whatever poor spirit had to draw it and actually make it look nice.

As with AlefBet's original file for 2.0, this is NOT INTENDED FOR GAMEPLAY.
What the graphic exists for is to supplement the text below... the text below might say "4 black doors" but you need the graphic to see which orientation the doors are in... or I might say "4 smoke" and you can use the graphic to see which ones are "more full" and which are "more dispersed"...

the text is only secreted because it's big and long. the left column is numbers appropriate for your .tim file, and the right column is the key.

I didn't include floor/obstacles because that information can be derived from vylycyn's SanctumTwo 3.0 release here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=14875&page=0#174391
(because the zip file includes a .tim file and the images are more distinct and usable).

Instructions for use can be inferred from earlier in this thread, and from my conversations with Mike here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=14914 (which also includes some notes on limitations of GeneralTiles modding)

by the way, the sprites for image wall, image pit, image floor, wall light, ceiling light only appear in the editor.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by silver at 04-11-2007 10:58 AM]
04-11-2007 at 10:04 AM
AlefBet

File: GeneralTiles.pl (35.9 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
icon Re: Make everything ugly (+4)  
silver wrote:
I sort of extended AlefBet's free graphics to 3.0.
Cool.
I'm not sure what license he would have chosen, so I put in "other" for now. As far as I'm concerned, my mods are Creative Commons Sharealike Noncommercial Attribution, but that might be incompatible with his choices.
My file is in the public domain, so every license is compatible with it.
I don't have AlefBet's perl script,
<--- Attached. I'm licensing this script under the GPL, but the output of the script is not licensed per se. (Since the unmodified output of the script is Public Domain, you should be able to license the output of any modified version under whatever license you wish.) Note that the script produces a "PNM" (portable anymap) image, which is a semi-standard ASCII-readable image format. Some graphics manipulation programs will read it (such as the GIMP), but most regular programs (including DROD) probably won't, and you'll have to convert it to PNG or Jpeg or whatever.

Edit:Also, note that this script is somewhat updated. It still produces a JtRH GeneralTiles, but there have been some graphical tweaks. For example, the swords are now pointy.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 04-11-2007 08:11 PM]
04-11-2007 at 08:00 PM
Lardarse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
Question about the briar images: Is it supposed to be set up so that there are alternate images for all "sections"
04-16-2007 at 05:35 AM
silver
yes - there's two to four copies for almost every image (note that the "dead" briar has 4 "+", but the "growing" briar only has 2 "+" sections and the 2 "disconnected" sections are in the middle). Of course, for the real briar, those are alternate images so the whole thing looks "more alive"...

[Last edited by silver at 04-16-2007 10:19 AM]
04-16-2007 at 10:17 AM
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
How exactly do you import .png images into DROD 5 when it only recognizes .dmf files? Are we supposed to put them in the right file manually, and not import them through DROD 5?

08-14-2015 at 05:16 PM
Gabrieloup
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
abe10 wrote:
How exactly do you import .png images into DROD 5 when it only recognizes .dmf files? Are we supposed to put them in the right file manually, and not import them through DROD 5?

This mod is so laughably outdated and only works with DROD 2 correctly, with DROD 3 it lags and there`s lots of ugly black squares, and to port it to work on DROD 5 it would take heavy changes to make it work there. Also, earlier DROD games had mods that worked without dmf files, the new ones however do not (which is why I made Swordplay Edition only for Architect`s Edition which is old as ****) after Journey to Rooted Hold. If you want a mod for DROD 5, check out the AE mod for TSS. But first if you`re really interested in modding for DROD, check out the Master List of Projects, which has about 90% of all DROD mods in the universe. The rest you can find on, wait for it, GOOGLE, if you wish. :thumbsup

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.

[Last edited by Gabrieloup at 08-19-2015 09:59 PM]
08-19-2015 at 09:56 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Make everything ugly (A springboard for JtRH modders)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com