Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : A Sight For Sore Eyes (November's Unofficial Contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon A Sight For Sore Eyes (+3)  
Well, for a while now, we've had a notable lack of graphical mods for the game of DROD. So, I twisted my arm, and eventually got myself to devise a way to force you folks to make me graphical mods with which to enjoy DROD.

So, without further ado, I give you:

A Sight For Sore Eyes

Contest Rules:

1. Your goal is to create a graphical modification for DROD 3.2.
2. Your mod must change at least 40 of DROD's 22x22 tiles.
3. Your mod must not require the application of any of DROD's built-in image files, other than GeneralTiles.png (in effect, your mod must be based on the City style).
4. You must attach your mod in both .dmf and image form (compressed if multiple images)
5. You do not need to provide a license allowing modifications to the mod, but it is recommended.
6. You must post your mod before the due date, which is Local Time:12-05-2008 at 12:00 PM (in negative 798 weeks, 6 days).
7. Submissions will be voted on by the DROD community.

Tips for Mod Design

You can use Stefan's MetaKitExtract program to access DROD's media files, which you can use as a reference. Remember, you cannot redistribute these files. In particular, you cannot simply submit a modified GeneralTiles.png; you will have to remove all Caravel graphics. You also cannot submit modified Caravel graphics; they must be purely your own creation.

You do not have to make tiles for inanimate objects - you may modify Beethro or monsters, or any 40 elements of the game.

Feel free to ask me for help; I've avoided writing a comprehensive modding guide in the contest rules. If you want, you can submit them to the submission topic and ask me to make a .tim file for you, but you have to be very specific as to what tiles you have!

Prizes

1st Place: A choice from the Prize Pile warm fuzzy feeling and 30 rank points.
2nd Place: 20 rank points.
3rd Place: 10 rank points.

Also, for those you wondering why it's 3.2, it's because the tiles are smaller, so the same amount of work can change a larger section of the game's tiles than in RPG 1.1.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-07-2008 08:08 PM]
11-06-2008 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: A Sight For Sore Eyes (0)  
Okay, I'm fairly busy with NaNoWriMo, but I'm going to try.
11-06-2008 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hmm...we include DROD 3.2 in this, correct?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-07-2008 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Well, I already have a half finished mod, so I'm in too.

11-07-2008 at 06:52 PM
coppro
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...we include DROD 3.2 in this, correct?
Oops. I forgot that was released. Thanks.
11-07-2008 at 08:08 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: A Sight For Sore Eyes (+2)  
coppro wrote:1st Place: A choice from the Prize Pile warm fuzzy feeling and 30 rank points.
I have an 8-timer prize I won in the May "Mini Contests" Contest. Since I also won a Prize Pile pick that month, I was going to use the 8-timer as a prize for a contest. I haven't run one recently -- and may not for a while -- so I offer it to coppro to sweeten the pot for this contest.

[Last edited by noma at 11-08-2008 01:28 AM]
11-08-2008 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Irashtar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Sounds like fun. I'm no artist, but I'll give it a shot. TCB's been out for ages, and yet you still can't get any mods off caravelnet, even though the ability is there.. :(

[Last edited by Irashtar at 11-08-2008 09:54 PM]
11-08-2008 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Actually, Schik hasn't implemented that yet.

I'm not sure how mosaics should factor in - suggestions?
11-09-2008 at 02:06 AM
Rheb
coppro?

12-09-2008 at 06:31 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
So… The contest ended nearly a week ago, and coppro is still nowhere to be found.
Furthermore it seems there are only two entries, one is mine and I assume the other is by Rheb.
What shall we do now?

12-11-2008 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb

File: Mosaic Frost.rar (521.3 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: A Sight For Sore Eyes (+1)  
I hope nothing has happened to him... Well, I'm sure he wouldn't object to me posting the attachment here now that the entering time is over.

Mosaic Frost

I'm not sure what to say about this style. Some graphics are totally awesome, but I never really got the style to work good as a whole. I think the problem is I made it too dark and with to many complex patterns, which doesn't really work well together. It makes it hard to enjoy gaming with this mod.

Well, tell me what you think of it. Perhaps I can work on improving it after the contest ends.

Edit: File attached.

[Last edited by Rheb at 12-11-2008 05:05 PM]
12-11-2008 at 03:58 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863

File: Garden.zip (424.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: A Sight For Sore Eyes (+1)  
The link doesn't work for me, possibly because the file is attached to a post in a submission topic I'm not allowed to view. It'd be nice if you could reattach it here.

Anyway, as there is no reason for secrecy anymore I'll attach my entry here as well.

The name 'Garden' stuck from an idea I had, but may be not particularly fitting anymore—the floor looks like a neatly mowed lawn, but that's about it. I'm glad the structure in the walls worked out well, it was by far the trickiest thing to get right.
The style was actually put together during only the last few days before the deadline. If I'd had more time I would have tried making some additionall stuff, but like Rheb I'll probably end up doing that after the contest.

12-11-2008 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : A Sight For Sore Eyes (November's Unofficial Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com