Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Blockerture Science Laboratories (Introducing the Blocks!)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1530
IP: Logged
icon Blockerture Science Laboratories (+5)  
FILE IS TOO BIG TO ATTACH TO POST, DOWNLOAD IT HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syzigoggpu3adau/Blockerture%20Science%20Laboratories.hold?dl=0

Blockerture Science Laboratories is a work-in-progress hold intended to introduce and fully tutorialize/tantalize the uses of a set of fully-scripted custom-made pushable DROD elements, which together fall under the name "Blocks". Aside from asking a bunch of questions for help with the scripting, I did all the work to make the blocks--their appearances, sounds, and behavior. I give permission and, in fact, strongly encourage other architects to use these elements in their hold, and once I'm sure they're working entirely correctly I will put their scripts in text form along with all relevant assets in a zip file attached to a post. (I do ask politely if anyone using them gives me credit, though? A little mention in a scroll or something, you know what I mean.)

Blocks are pushables with various unique traits; particularly they can be pushed by both body and weapon like a mirror, but drop trapdoor-type tiles. Aside from regular Blocks that push like mirrors, there are Teleport Blocks that teleport in the direction they're pushed, Momentum Blocks that have "Momentum", and Gravity blocks that constantly "try" to move in their chosen direction. The direction of Gravity Blocks can be changed, and all blocks can be made to Float, using a few custom tokens. Ideally, the best way to come to understand their behaviors will be just to play this hold.

The hold's final form will have 7 levels; it currently has 6. The first 5 each introduce a new things, and the 6th level is intended as a final exam/show-off of the sorts of puzzles these Blocks are really capable of. The 7th level will be a post-mastery area accessible by finding the one secret room in each of the first 6, and possibly contain rooms made by people other than me?

I'm looking for feedback on the hold's puzzles (where there are puzzles, that is), "writing" (the "spoken" tutorial information), and of course any and all strange, unexpected, or glitchy behavior of the custom elements. Below, in a secret, I will list known problems with these elements as they presently are.

Click here to view the secret text

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-06-2018 01:55 AM]
08-05-2015 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Blockerture Science Laboratories (0)  
Try changing the movement type of the Gravity blocks to the dumbest type (I can't recall what it's called at the moment). That might make diagonal ones not move orthogonally.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 08-06-2015 05:45 AM]
08-06-2015 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
They do use that type, and most of the time, just like golems, they don't slide across walls. But for some reason, in cases such as the one described, they will behave strangely.

The commands used to move them "check for open move <direction>" (which checks whether a golem would be able to move that way, as far as I can tell) and then change _MyX and/or _MyY by 1 as necessary to appear to move in that direction (so it doesn't take up a turn to do so, and they can run a bunch of necessary checks before ending the current turn).

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-06-2015 06:44 AM]
08-06-2015 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
I seem to recall having issues with changing _MyX and _MyY separately with the entropic aumtlich - if _MyX is changed first, (new _MyX, old _MyY) needs to be clear as well. The teleport to command doesn't end the turn; try that instead.

08-06-2015 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Blockerture Science Laboratories (+1)  
Cool hold so far. Your building holds way faster than I can play them! I really like the mechanic. The dialog is also lot of fun. So far I've only played the Entry Hall and Gravity Foyer. Some comments for each.

Gravity Hall:

* It bugs me a bit that 1N is the only room so far that you can't backtrack through since the master walls are south of it. It's not a huge deal though since restore will always do the trick.

* It appears that blocks only drop trapdoors when you push them across with the staff, but not with body pushes. I'm guessing this is intentional, but I didn't realize this until 3N1E.

*Speaking of 3N1E, blocks pushed into shallow water in this room are permanently killed. Exiting and reentering the room will result in the blocks not regenerating. I haven't checked the scripting, but I'm guessing there's something in it that calls for the script to end once pushed into the water. This can result in players getting permanently stuck and having to restore to an earlier save. It's also somewhat unexpected.

Gravity Foyer

*1S1W depends on counting spaces between pressure plates and blocks and it's a bit difficult to count with the mosaic floor. Since mosaic floor is part of the aesthetic of the level, I wouldn't want to change that, but it would be nice if the obstacles around the pressure plates were evenly spaced to facilitate counting.

*1S1E I would rather not have to re-do the entire room to get to the secret if I decide I'd rather put it off until later. Is there a way to re-work the green door mechanics to avoid this? I actually haven't attempted the secret room yet because of this.

*1S might be interesting if there was more of a timer aspect to the tar growth (forcing you to get into the tar by a certain turn). But then again it may not. 1S also suffers from the usual backtracking issues that befall most rooms with tar and green doors. But players experienced enough to even get themselves into that situation should know better by now so I doubt it's an issue.

Those are all really pretty minor. On the whole this is lots of fun so far.

08-06-2015 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Oh, wow, those are some things that need badly to be fixed. Backtracking is always supposed to be possible, and I had no idea that was what End did! I was under the impression the whole time that End just ended the script until the player left and returned to reset the room, and put it in as "garbage collection". I suppose "Die" is what really does this?

The block-body-trapdoor interaction is extremely intentional, more a trait of my interpretation of how trapdoors work than anything else. In my understanding, trapdoors drop when a "Beethro+sword"-sized weight steps off of them all at once, so my idea was that if such a weight steps off and another weight steps on at the same time they won't drop, and if the other weight is only as big as "Beethro-without-sword" and steps off afterward it won't trigger the trapdoor either. This is a little weird with thin ice, which obviously isn't a mechanism and wouldn't be "fooled" in this way, but I wasn't sure how else to handle that situation so I made it behave this way with that, too. I guess the alternative is to kill the player? Is that what happens if you body-push a mirror off of thin ice over deep water?

Gravity Foyer 1S is really intended as a "simple-as-possible" tutorial to Gravity Tokens. What is the exact nature of the backtracking issue you mentioned, just so I know?
1S1W never really gave me much trouble, I could basically trial-and-error through some undos to fix it up, but I don't mind changing the placement of obstacles if it'll make it less frustrating for others.
1S1E I'll need to look into. I realized a similar problem was in another room and fixed that one fairly easily, maybe this won't be too hard to fix?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-06-2015 03:30 PM]
08-06-2015 at 03:28 PM
Xindaris
Okay, as of now I've uploaded a new version with the "End" command completely removed from all the blocks' scripts. Whoops!

I also made changes to the rooms mentioned in the above two posts, all of which should fix the issues mentioned. Well, in the case of Gravity Foyer 1S1W I have to ask whether the new obstacle placement is enough to make the "counting" doable. I didn't want them to be too regular but I made sure there was one in each column of each "island", and hopefully it's clear enough which ones are 2 or 3 wide.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-06-2015 04:42 PM]
08-06-2015 at 04:41 PM
Xindaris
New version uploaded! The meaningful change is that I reconfigured the TeleBlock coding: Got rid of some End commands I missed (but wouldn't have shown up other than in the exceptional case that an architect puts a non-floating Teleblock on a pit tile to begin with, why would you do that?), turned some code repeated 8 times into a single label with Gosubs, and most importantly, fixed the telefragging so it now destroys rock piles, construct remains, and really anything else I missed the first time around! This is great because having to destroy piles and remains using teleblocks has lots of puzzle potential.

There was also an aesthetic change to the Floating Antechamber: The weather is outside+fog+lightning to give the impession that it's actually inside of clouds, as intended.

I have removed the TeleBlock-related issue from the first post's list of known issues, and added an issue I've noticed with all 3 of my custom tokens. Any advice on fixing this (or the other issues) would be appreciated.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-11-2015 04:16 AM]
08-11-2015 at 04:01 AM
Xindaris
icon Re: Blockerture Science Laboratories (+2)  
New version uploaded! Changes:

-A bunch of minor fixes; a new challenge added to Gravity Foyer Entrance.
-GravBlock error fixed: Diagonal-facing Gravity blocks now move correctly when Beethro gets out of their way.
-Some rooms properly added to the Exit Garden. NOTE: Exit Garden features Constructs heavily. I would very much appreciate it if anyone with access to the WIP 5.02 where Constructs can push "pushable by both" Characters could confirm that rooms in the Exit Garden are solvable, particularly the Entrance and Once East as these are the most likely locations for Constructs to be pushing Blocks around in.

EDIT: Also, in the current version the vague disembodied voice scolds you if you "unclear" Gravity Foyer 1S by having some tar babies follow you and then return to the room, and it's possible to re-clear the room even if you did that.

I've also edited the first post, removing the GravBlock diagonal error as it's fixed and consolidated some related issues all three self-mobile Block types have with "disappearing" themselves in certain situations.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 09-10-2015 03:17 AM]
09-05-2015 at 02:43 AM
Xindaris
Just going to note that I've uploaded a new version. No new rooms/puzzles/etc., but the Exit Garden is now working as intended since Constructs can now push blocks (well, that's not actually because of the new version, but it should be noted), and the internal coding of blocks has been reconfigured to be cleaner and so that the blocks work properly in 5.1. (A change in the way pressure plates are detected broke the way blocks hold down plates, that's fixed now.)

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-14-2016 10:31 PM]
03-14-2016 at 10:27 PM
Xindaris
New Version! Changes:
-Exit Garden is now complete other than some scripting in the final room, 1N, to have the robot voice say a few more things and then actually let the player complete the hold after clearing the room. That is, it now has all the puzzles I intended for it to.
-More refactoring of block coding. Self-moving blocks no longer disappear inside tunnels! Amazing! Teleblocks no longer disappear on teleporting into a Beethro-type entity's weapon! (But they still disappear inside Mimics', Decoys', Guards', Stalwarts' and Soldiers' weapons everywhere except Exit Garden 1E, which uses a noisy workaround.)
-More saves added in some places.

As of this post, I'm now looking to seriously push toward promotion of this hold. There are some things I want done before that happens, though:
-General extensive testing by other people for unsolved solutions, whether various puzzles are actually good ones, that sort of thing.

-Post-Mastery section?: I'm tentatively putting up the call for people to try and make a few rooms of their own with the Blocks to be shown off in the Employees Only section, which will be available to players who've mastered the hold's 6 main levels. At the very least I want to know whether anyone is interested in doing so, since if not I'll just go on and make post-mastery rooms myself. Ideally each volunteer would make one room and we'd work together to make sure they hook together as a level without me having to add any awkward hallway/transition rooms. If you're considering building a room and start poking around in the editor, please read the few rules at the bottom of the secret in the first post here to know what not to do to avoid some known glitchy behavior.

-Voice acting??? I'm considering playing the role of the vague robotic voice throughout the hold and seeing whether I can find a volunteer Beethro impersonator to play Beethro and possibly rewrite any of his lines that feel out of character or misphrased for his actual accent.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-24-2016 05:18 PM]
05-24-2016 at 05:11 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: Blockerture Science Laboratories.zip (10.4 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
I started playing this and it's really interesting and fun so far, though some rooms can be quite heavy in manipulation.
I attached a package of demo for Entry Hall and Momentum Attic.

Entry Hall:
2N1W: I used only 2 blocks here, easy room, even the challenge.
3N: I like this, hope to see more of this concept.
4N2E: Didn't use the roach and the 2 blocks at all.

Momentum attic:
If a block is on a trapdoor and I push it it won't drop, is this intended? Also, if I push it into the shallow water and I occupy the spot where it lands with my sword weird things happen, though it's not a big deal.

1N: Very tricky from West to South, liked this.
1N1W: Ok room
1W: I solved it with the first quirk I reported, intended?
1N1E: Didn't understand this, what's all those tunnels/bomb for? It's an ordinary golem manipulation.
1E: The room I spent most time on, the challenge is hard indeed
2E: I did it in 2 ways, which one is intended? Good room.

I like this concept and I'd like to try building something with these but I don't have much time in these weeks (I even paused my current hold for now) so if you want this to be published quickly don't count me in, though I want to say to other architects that this has lot of puzzle potential.

05-24-2016 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Entry Hall
2N1W: Well, the challenge is easy if you realize the "trick" to it.

4N2E: That's a pretty clever trick, I'm on the fence about changing this. If I do change it, you think moving the pressure plate one tile to the southwest will make the general idea of the thing you did impossible?

Momentum Attic
Yes, refusing to drop trapdoors when the player (or anything else) steps onto the trapdoor on the same turn as the block is pushed off is intended behavior, and (I think) necessary for at least a few puzzles. It's a product of my interpretation of how trapdoors work: They detect something "heavy enough" above them and fall after they no longer have something "heavy enough", but Beethro body-pushing a block off of a trapdoor I interpret as an exchange of "heavy enough" things that happens too quickly for the trapdoor to drop in between. It also has the convenient property that the player can't kill themselves by body-pushing a block off of a trapdoor, which I feel would be a bit of an awkward death to impose.

1W: Your solution looks good. It's not precisely the same moves as me in the lower section, but that's fine by me.

1N1E: Ooo, that's a bad leak. The room's supposed to be about learning to move momentum blocks through tunnels in clever ways, and the bomb is really just acting like a decorative obstacle here. I think I can plug it by making the button near of the west entrance to the room inaccessible until the button northwest of the bomb is pressed.

2E: What's interesting is you've actually found two different not-quite-intended solutions, both of which are pretty clever. Your solution with less moves is closer to the intended solution.
The intended way is to push the block all around its island to the tunnel, just avoiding and not using the rock golems, and only start killing the golems after the button is pressed. If you minimize how often you're out of shallow water the golems come close to being in smell of you only one time, at which point you use the tunnel to lure them all to the east side.

05-24-2016 at 08:02 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872

File: Blockerture Science Laboratories.demo (29.9 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Completed up to the first room of Garden Exit. Still have a few secrets left in earlier levels.

Much enjoyed. The scripted elements are fun to use and have lots of puzzle potential. I'll probably make a room or two for you using them, and very likely will use them in my own beta hold.

Comments:

Overall, well done! Attached my demos so far.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 05-24-2016 11:39 PM]
05-24-2016 at 11:35 PM
Xindaris
Reply to bomber50--

EDIT because I don't feel like adding a separate post for this:
New version added!

Changes are some basic leak and/or potential backtracking issue fixes to Entry Hall 1N, Entry Hall 4N2E, Momentum Attic 1N1E, Teleportation Basement 2N...I think that's all?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-25-2016 01:10 AM]
05-25-2016 at 12:58 AM
Red-XIII

File: demos.zip (8.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
I replayed the rooms I broke and I believe there's still something unintended:

Entry Hall 4N2E: Used a very similar solution (it works because regular block moves first)

Momentum Attic 1N1E: More elaborate, though I didn't need the big pressure plate.

I also played Teleportation basements, best level so far, I love this element.

1W-2W: Good introduction and nice puzzle.
1S: Good room!
1E: Also good room, got stuck for a while here.
1N: Best room of the hold so far (for my taste) I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to put the block there. Then I had the "AH!" moment, it felt awesome. The challenge, on the other hand, has something wrong I guess, I did it by "trial and error manipulation snake".
2N: Also good room, I thought it was going to be trial and error and boring but it actually requires a good strategy and it was fun.

Demos attached.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-25-2016 07:08 PM]
05-25-2016 at 07:06 PM
Xindaris
I figured out a way to almost certainly fully fix the momentum room in Entry Hall (4N2E). This has (1) the roach inaccessible until the player enters the south end; (2) requires the player to step on a pressure plate that locks them in, then use a weapon to hit an orb that opens up the roach's movement path. The orb means you can't do that using a block.

Your new solution for Momentum Attic 1N1E is actually just a slightly more clever version of the intended one as far as I'm concerned.

It never occurred to me the player could immediately kill the queen in Teleportation Basement 1N. I'd like a general overall opinion from people: Should I just replace the whole east end of that room with a conquer token or something equally easy, since really the entire puzzle of the room is supposed to be about moving the block into place?

New version added:
Hopefully final leak fix to Entry Hall 4N2E.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-25-2016 08:11 PM]
05-25-2016 at 08:11 PM
Red-XIII
Xindaris wrote:
It never occurred to me the player could immediately kill the queen in Teleportation Basement 1N. I'd like a general overall opinion from people: Should I just replace the whole east end of that room with a conquer token or something equally easy, since really the entire puzzle of the room is supposed to be about moving the block into place?

I think you should at least change the east section with something that definitely needs the teleportation block (I still don't know the intended way for that part) because the main point of the room is the NW puzzle, which is great and could actually act as a standalone room IMO.

Haven't tried Entry Hall 4N2E yet, I'll let you know tomorrow.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-25-2016 08:23 PM]
05-25-2016 at 08:23 PM
Red-XIII

File: demos2.zip (9 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Entry Hall 4N2E: I'm pretty sure my solution is no more doable. The most ironic thing is that now I don't know how to do the room ^^' I seem to be short on blocks.
Entry Hall 2N2E: Maybe I did something unintended? See demo attached.

Gravity Foyer level:
Overall it's a interesting element, though I didn't really enjoyed some rooms.

Entrance: The challenge is no challenge at all, you should remove it.
1S: It got tedious after a while, otherwise ok introduction.
1S1W: Good room!
1S1E: Ok room, didn't need the broken walls.
1S2E: I didn't solved it because I'm way too lazy to count, though Bomber50 solution is pure genius.
2S: Good room! I should note that the SE part is possible also with 1 block, though you can't solve the room anymore if you do that.
3S: Strange room but good concept, I hope to see more of this (manipulation in tiny space).

Floating Antechamber:
I only did entrance so far, another interesting block! There's a tiny graphic issue though, if I press a plate with a block, then take the float token the press is released (as explained) but it still looks like it's pressed.

Demos attached.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-26-2016 04:30 PM]
05-26-2016 at 04:25 PM
Xindaris
The broken walls in Gravity Foyer 1S1E are a convenience feature in case the player solves the room, leaves, and comes back, so they don't have to entirely re-solve the room (drop the trapdoor gate) in order to access the secret.

Your Entry Hall 2N2E solution looks fine to me. It's really just a somewhat more open problem than it might look like it is.

I'm not encountering the graphic bug you're seeing with the floating blocks? It's possible you're seeing the "shadow" included in the floating block graphic to indicate that it really is floating above something. The shadow is a checkered pattern of dark and transparent pixels.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-26-2016 07:02 PM]
05-26-2016 at 06:54 PM
Xindaris
Update notice:
The new version replaces Teleportation Basement 1N's east section with a new little area focused on pushing a second teleblock around and toggling some doors. It's fairly easy with a challenge that makes it slightly harder.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-29-2016 03:02 PM]
05-29-2016 at 03:02 PM
Red-XIII
Sorry for late response.

About the graphic issue I made a mistake, sorry. The fact is that when a pp is pressed or released, the edges of it have the same color, and with a block on it you only see the edges of the pp so I thought it was a problem, but it's not.

I like TB 1N even more than before, though I'm stumped on the challenge, which is nice!

I'll try to continue the rest of the hold as soon as I can.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-31-2016 05:01 PM]
05-31-2016 at 05:01 PM
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
I tried my hand at some of the puzzles. This is pretty interesting. While I like these different blocks, their graphics style clash with the rest of the game. They don't look that nice.

The momentum blocks and teleportation blocks are a bit similiar, but both are used for very different types of puzzles.

Gravity blocks are my favourite so far.

[Last edited by GerAvos at 06-04-2016 12:30 AM]
06-04-2016 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Well, I don't have much of a sense for visual design. The blocks are just supposed to have graphics that indicate very clearly which kind they are and how they're behaving (i.e., the arrows on gravity blocks). Consider their "lore" is that they're bizarre ancient tech from some time in the distant past when the Eighth had electronics and computers, though, I feel like maybe them looking a bit out of place makes sense?

The bottom line is that I can't do much better but if somebody wanted to contribute better graphics for this hold or use the scripting in another hold but with better-looking (to them) graphics I wouldn't have any objections.

06-04-2016 at 12:59 AM
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Yes, at least it clearly shows which block is which and considering the story the graphics aren't THAT out of place.
06-05-2016 at 02:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII

File: FA demos.demo (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
I continued to play a bit and I completed Floating Antechamber, here's some comments:

1N: I can pass the gentryii from all entries without using blocks, you just have to block him with your sword.
1N1W: Ok room though it wasn't super interesting.
1N2W: Long room, also I'm not sure if I used a US, there are many elements that I didn't use, maybe you should make the room "easier" by removing some plates.
1N1E: Liked this one a lot!
1N2E: Best room of the level and one of my favourite of the hold, this type of puzzle with teleportation blocks are the best thing ever! Well done.
2N: I liked this but I think there are tons of possible solutions here.

Demos attached.

06-06-2016 at 09:47 AM
Xindaris
Uploaded new version:
-Floating Antechamber 1N1W and 1N2W now have a bunch of force arrows because using the gravblock on the section Beethro is in is really not the intended way to do the rooms and shouldn't even be possible :no.

Hopefully you can figure out what the intended solutions are and they're a little more interesting? Looking at the correct solution to at least 1N2W (my demo for 1N1W is broken because I had to shift the southern "island" south one tile), pretty much every pressure plate and nearly every token is necessary.

EDIT:
New version also changes Floating Antechamber 1N a bit to make it more difficult if not impossible to pass through without using a Block.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-06-2016 05:03 PM]
06-06-2016 at 04:35 PM
Red-XIII

File: exit garden demos1.zip (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Played a bit Exit garden but not yet the fixed rooms, here some comments.

Exit Garden: Overall, definitely harder compared to other levels, but that's ok.

Entrance: Ok hoarde room.
1E: Definitely broke this one.
1S1E: Strange room, used only 1 teleportation block, intended?
2S: I'm pretty sure my solution is not intended since I didn't use the momentum block at all, it was hard to manipulate all those constructs, but I'm quite proud with my solution.
1S1W: Good room!
1S: I'm actually stumped on this one, I think I have to lure gentryii inyo the alcoves but not sure how, any hints?
1W: First time I watched this room I thought "what on earth is this?" It took me 10 minutes alone to understand what I had in front of me, which is not bad, since I believe that a DroD puzzle can also be understanding what you have to do (as long as there arern't A LOT of elements, in this case is fine). I think I did it ok, though it took me a long to figure out the final trick for last plate, since I didn't remember well floating block interaction with force arrows. Very nice room though, IMO, it should work better as a secret room.

Demos attached.

06-08-2016 at 06:47 PM
Xindaris
Update: Leak fixes all over Exit Garden

Sooo many leaks found, thank you.

1W: You're not supposed to be able to reach the time tokens after "choosing" clones! A couple of orthosquares added to fix that. Aside from that, mostly solid solution. The thing you used timeclones for is intended to be the purpose of the regular block that starts on the east end of the room.
What the weird mechanisms around the time tokens and clones are for is a challenge similar to Gravity Foyer 1S2E where you do something with timeclones in the token areas. That's what the voice means when it asks if you can "see into the future". I'm worried it might be too hard though.

1E: Yeah, broken. Added some arrows and an open door in the queen area so you can't just decoy her to death.

1S: Your goal is to open all four directions at the same time, or at least to reach all four of them in some sequence, so you can kill all four brains. You're not supposed to use the gentryii nor the constructs to get into the alcoves, both of those things are obstacles to the intended solution.

1S1E: Tough leak to fix, and one which totally destroys the whole idea of the room. Hopefully it's clear enough that the bombs will disappear after the trapdoors are dropped. The build markers are supposed to at least say "there won't be bombs at some point," and maybe from there a player can discover when by experiment? Also plugged one other potential leak I thought of while looking at this...

2S: Some toggleable things were not actually set to the right relative parity, and I didn't notice until now...whoops.

1S1W: One of the last three rooms I came up with, along with the secret room and the final room (1N). I'm super happy with it, it's sorta open-ended but requires thought regardless. The mimic allows for symmetry without making the puzzle too much harder, and getting to the potion I feel is a good "learning step" to figuring out the rest of the puzzle.

P.S., when you look at the secret room in Exit Garden I want to know about the process of figuring out what to do, whether it's fun or hinted at well enough. It uses some scripting, and is supposed to obliquely hint at the player how exactly they proceed without outright telling them.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-09-2016 04:40 AM]
06-09-2016 at 04:36 AM
Xindaris
Addressing comment on 1W:
I can't really make it a secret room because there's no way I could fit it with the paradigm of what secret rooms are and how they work in this hold. If the general consensus is that it's too hard for the "regular game", though, I could move this puzzle to the post-mastery section and replace it with something simpler that still uses the idea of careful gravity block remote manipulation?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-09-2016 06:49 PM]
06-09-2016 at 06:48 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Blockerture Science Laboratories (Introducing the Blocks!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com