Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (Your favorite TSS levels!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (+1)  
Me entering Temporal Anomaly: ... I know this. Thematic and artful architecture. Is it Jutt? Hmm, no much symmetry though. Oneiromancer? ... Wait, it's a new style as well. OMG it's zch and/or Kallor!!! (I might be wrong, haven't seen the credits yet) :p

And it's looking to be my favorite level yet! I was skeptical to the Temporal Split at first, but getting to fight beside friends visible only inside your own brain has turned out to be great fun!

What are your favorite TSS levels and why?

06-28-2014 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (+1)  
As I mentioned previously, My favorite is Rooted Hub. I enjoyed the hilarious character of Arky, and also I love bosses, So I loved the Gentryii trap, even if it was easy.

06-28-2014 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (+3)  
Temporal Anomaly - The first use of the awesome Caldera style, which has the best style music in the game, and amazing graphics that give the level an otherworldly atmosphere. It is certainly Zch and Kallor; their skill with minimap art gives that away. And although it's a large step up in difficulty, the temporal split token puzzles turned out to be enormous fun and very satisfying to solve.

Experiment of Ages - This level was excruciatingly hard for me when I first encountered it, but again, getting to the end gave a wonderful feeling of "I can actually do this!" The voice acting of the characters in this level is excellent, and the final cutscene uses one of my favourites of Emmett's pieces.

Lemming Beach - They made a tribute to Lemmings, which was one of the games that defined my childhood. That was so touching. And the puzzles are excellent; in particular, that one room everyone gets stuck in, which might be the best puzzle in the game.

CHAPTER 9 SPOILERS
Click here to view the secret text

SECRET LEVEL SPOILERS

06-28-2014 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Ne_________ Fa_____

[Last edited by Zaratustra00 at 06-28-2014 10:00 PM]
06-28-2014 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
horseofgenius
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (0)  
I've not fully explored the optional levels, but I think Temporal Anomaly was probably the best designed level in the game. I liked Shattered Mine too. My favourite new elements were Fluff, Lemmings & Flowers, it's a shame the latter two were seen so briefly.
06-30-2014 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
In retrospective, Arcane Laboratory was more fun than I thought.

06-30-2014 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Temporal Anomaly was amazing. As was Security Gates. And Ore Refinery.

06-30-2014 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
SECRET LEVEL SPOILER

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-01-2014 at 05:35 AM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (+2)  
For me, it would be:

07-13-2014 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (+4)  
I encountered Temporal Anomaly for the first time today and wow, what a level. I was simply blown away. The look of the level in terms of both tileset and mini-map are so awesome. Almost every puzzle had me start off thinking "no way, surely I'm not gonna be expected to pull that off" only to find in practice that it wasn't too tricky and a lot of fun. The secret room where
was particularly satisfying. The whole level was an excellent blend of a simple concepts needing some tactical finesse but not overly complex or overwhelming and seeing everything come together makes you feel like a total badass.

Great stuff. I love time chappies.
07-20-2014 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Time chappies! I love it :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-21-2014 at 12:04 AM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
Kieran,

I couldn't agree more: it's amazing watching you and your temporal buddies all working in concert, sometimes chopping at empty space, to achieve the goal.

But there's more .....

After you've watched your own genius 900 move solution, involving waiting around for many moves at strategic points use F6 to have a quick peek at the people who can really play: WHOA! how can Amelia do it in a quarter of my moves?

Those minimal solutions twist my head even more, because the temporal chappies chop away at nothing, then later there are baddies right there to kill.

I haven't come up with a way of thinking like that about these levels - maybe it will come.

07-22-2014 at 02:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939

07-22-2014 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
Temporal Anomaly is the place where DROD has changed substantially for me: it's so different to be effectively programming your character to face enemies not visible as you define the program.

I'm really interested to hear from the dev team (part of some post-mortem stuff I guess) about the development and tuning of this feature.

And I echo the comment I've seen a few times here; solving these levels makes me feel so smart!

I found myself wondering about a new breed of DROD puzzle: you get to build a fighter in a workshop, defining how your fighter will respond given certain situtions - they you deploy your fighter into the room - then you stand back and watch helplessly as your fighter faces the foes.

I guess I have to go and give SpaceChem a whirl don't I? I've been frightened to do it because it might suck up cycles I badly need for DROD.

07-26-2014 at 11:12 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Temporal Anomaly has, so far, broken my brain.

I've done about half of the rooms but each one is costing me just a little bit more sanity. I feel like I'm in a game of Call of Cthulhu instead of playing a video game in my basement.

(After the last one, I had to switch to Gunthro and the Epic Blunder for a less frenetic pace...)

But...amazing puzzles!

07-06-2021 at 02:35 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
I think the soundtrack is what got me through that one.

07-07-2021 at 09:30 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Dischorran wrote:
I think the soundtrack is what got me through that one.

Not to mention H&S

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-07-2021 at 07:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upon entering Temporal Anomaly (Your favorite TSS levels!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com